PDA

View Full Version : Magazine rebuild kit question

chrisr
04-17-2009, 4:13 PM
Im thinking about buying a magazine rebuilt parts kit from a private party. Not a calgunner. Does the magazine have to be disassembled completely? The magazines would be high cap mags dissassembled and shipped in the same box. Does that go for all kinds mags or drums? Just disassemble them and call them magazine rebuilt kits. Sorry if this has been covered on the forum before, im new to Calguns. Thanks for reading

-hanko
04-17-2009, 4:23 PM
Im thinking about buying a magazine rebuilt parts kit from a private party. Not a calgunner. Does the magazine have to be disassembled completely?

The magazines would be high cap mags dissassembled and shipped in the same box. Does that go for all kinds mags or drums?

Just disassemble them and call them magazine rebuilt kits. Sorry if this has been covered on the forum before, im new to Calguns. Thanks for reading
Forum membership here makes no difference. The magazine has to be disassembled completely...otherwise it's (obviously) a magazine and not a rebuild parts kit:confused:

Shipping all parts in the same box is fine. The law doesn't make a distinction as to magazine type.

-hanko

rabagley
04-17-2009, 4:27 PM
I think that "disassembled completely" may be the real question. The way I read the law, if you don't have a functioning magazine, you're fine.

If you take out the spring, leave the follower inside and put the floorplate back on, you don't have a working magazine, so no problem. Is that "disassembled completely"? No. Three of the parts are in one assembly, the spring is in another. Do you have a magazine? No.

That's the way I understand the law. But I'm not an attorney, and most definitely not your attorney, so you'll have to decide what makes sense for you.

reidnez
04-17-2009, 6:27 PM
I would disassemble them completely just to be safe. And remember that you cannot ever legally re-assemble them while in California.

Born2Lose
04-17-2009, 6:36 PM
If you take out the spring, leave the follower inside and put the floorplate back on, you don't have a working magazine, so no problem. Is that "disassembled completely"? No. Three of the parts are in one assembly, the spring is in another. Do you have a magazine? No.

That is how 44mag.com ships their rebuild kits. Good enough for them..good enough for me.