PDA

View Full Version : NRA Email on AB357, AB962, SB776 and SB697

Nanook
04-17-2009, 3:46 PM
First time doing this; hope I don't see the "dupe" smiley!

Several Firearm Bills Scheduled for Consideration Soon!
Please Contact Your State Legislators Today!

Two Bills, Assembly Bill 357 and Assembly Bill 962, will be considered by the Assembly Committee on Public Safety on Tuesday, April 21.

AB357, sponsored by Assembly Member Steve Knight (R-36), would create a “shall issue” concealed handgun permit system in California. Under current law, an applicant must show cause as to why they should be issued a permit to carry a concealed handgun for self-defense. AB357 would remove that stipulation and require sheriffs to issue the license if all other mandated criteria are satisfied.

AB962, sponsored by Assembly Member Kevin De Leon (D-45), would make it a crime to privately transfer more than 50 rounds of ammunition per month, even between family and friends, unless you are registered as a “handgun ammunition vendor” in the Department of Justice’s database. Ammunition retailers would have to be licensed and store ammunition in such a manner that it would be inaccessible to purchasers. The bill would also require purchasers submit to fingerprinting, which would be submitted to the Department of Justice. Lastly, mail order ammunition sales would be prohibited.

On Tuesday, April 28, the Senate Public Safety Committee will hear Senate Bill 776 and Senate Bill 697.

SB776, sponsored by State Senator Loni Hancock (D-9), would mandate the registration of all magazines capable of holding more than ten rounds of ammunition. The possession of unregistered magazines would be a crime and punishable up to a year in prison.

SB697, authored by State Senator Mark DeSaulnier (D-7), would prohibit the sale of handguns other than "owner-authorized (or “smart”) handguns" -- that is, handguns with a permanent, programmable biometric feature that renders the firearm useless unless activated by the authorized user. No proven, viable handgun of this type has ever been developed. The bill would require the California Attorney General to report to the Governor and Legislature on the availability of owner-authorized handguns; once the Attorney General finds that these guns are available, only “owner-authorized” handguns could be approved for sale in California.

Please contact the members of the Assembly Committee on Public Safety and respectfully urge them to support AB357 and to oppose AB962.

Also, please contact the Senate Public Safety Committee and respectfully urge them to oppose SB776 and SB697. Contact information can be found below.

ASSEMBLY COMMITTEE ON PUBLIC SAFETY:

Assembly Member Jose Solorio (D-69) - Chair
(916) 319-2069
Assemblymember.solorio@assembly.ca.gov
Assembly Member Curt Hagman (R-60) - Vice Chair
(916) 319-2060
Assemblymember.Hagman@assembly.ca.gov

Assembly Member Warren T. Furutani (D-55)
(916) 319-2055
Assemblymember.Furutani@assembly.ca.gov

Assembly Member Danny D. Gilmore (R-30)
(916) 319-2030
Assemblymember.Gilmore@assembly.ca.gov

Assembly Member Jerry Hill (D-19)
(916) 319-2019
Assemblymember.Hill@assembly.ca.gov

Assembly Member Fiona Ma (D-12)
(916) 319-2012
Assemblymember.Ma@assembly.ca.gov

Assembly Member Nancy Skinner (D-14)
(916) 319-2014
Assemblymember.Skinner@assembly.ca.gov

SENATE PUBLIC SAFETY COMMITTEE:

State Senator Mark Leno (D-3) – Chair
(916) 651-4003
senator.leno@senate.ca.gov

State Senator John J. Benoit (R-37) - Vice-Chair
(916) 651-4037

State Senator Gilbert Cedillo (D-22)
(916) 651-4022

State Senator Loni Hancock (D-9)
(916) 651-4009

State Senator Robert Huff (R-29)
(916) 651-4029

State Senator Darrell Steinberg (D-6)
(916) 651-4006

State Senator Roderick Wright (D-25)
(916) 651-4025

I wrote the following email to the Assembly PSC, and emailed and faxed everyone. The Committee's fax number is (916) 319-2160

The Senate PSC fax number is (916) 445-4688.

Dear Honorable Members of the State of California Assembly Committee on Public Safety:

Thank you for your attention.

I would like to voice my strong support of Assembly Bill 357. This bill is needed now more than ever in this day and age of seemingly all too many tragic instances of violence. The police cannot be everywhere at once, and if it is not my responsibility and right to protect my life and those of my loved ones, whose is it? The current system of CCW issuance is flawed, with favor going to celebrities and the political elite, including Senator Feinstein. It is time for our great state to catch up to the rest of the country and send the message that it cares about the well-being, safety and equality of its citizens. If the statistics are examined from the other states that instituted a "shall issue" CCW policy, you will notice that violent crime decreased, and the fears of a "cowboy culture" are completely unfounded.

I cannot help but be reminded of a passage from Thomas Jefferson's Legal Commonplace Book, in which he quotes Cesare Beccaria: “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”

In regards to AB962, of which I am not as well informed, it strikes me as impinging on the Interstate Commerce Clause of the US Constitution and Section 1 of the 14 Amendment, and an incredible expense to the state which we can ill afford. I believe a similar bill was vetoed by our Governor, as well. I oppose this bill.

Thank you for your time,

Nanook

The email for Furutani got bounced back. Maybe his inbox is full... ;)

Tradical
04-17-2009, 3:59 PM
The calls and e-mails are very important. Membership in the NRA is paramount. We must never sit back and allow our 2nd amendment rights to be taken away by a vocal few.

truthseeker
04-17-2009, 4:27 PM
We need someone to come up with a way to send all these guys e-mails from multiple different e-mail accounts.

I know I personally have 4 of them from different providers.

Gunm
04-17-2009, 8:21 PM
A law making it illegal to buy any gun except for one that doesn't exist yet. Sounds sensible and reasonable. But add a line requiring law enforcement to be the first to adopt them and replace all their issue guns with these 10-round, magazine disconnected, microstamped, loaded chamber indicated, drop tested Smart Guns. After all, the idea was to prevent a bad guy from using a law enforcement officer's own gun against him or her.

I looked up smartgun on Wikipedia. I'm going to take a wild guess and say that SB697 does not refer to the ones in the movie Aliens.:52:

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php?title=M56_Smart_Gun

Or maybe it Does!:eek:

jkchan83
04-17-2009, 8:26 PM
We need someone to come up with a way to send all these guys e-mails from multiple different e-mail accounts.

I know I personally have 4 of them from different providers.

There is a way: Use the NRA Member's Council's One-Click E-mail system. It allows you to send an e-mail from whatever address you choose and it will distribute that e-mail to all of the pertinent politicians (ETA: and/or bureaucrats). The return address is yours, not the NRA server's.

Here's the link: http://www.nramemberscouncils.com/legs.shtml The One-Click system is at the bottom of the page.

cousinkix1953
04-18-2009, 7:23 AM
SB697, authored by State Senator Mark DeSaulnier (D-7), would prohibit the sale of handguns other than "owner-authorized (or “smart”) handguns" -- that is, handguns with a permanent, programmable biometric feature that renders the firearm useless unless activated by the authorized user. No proven, viable handgun of this type has ever been developed. The bill would require the California Attorney General to report to the Governor and Legislature on the availability of owner-authorized handguns; once the Attorney General finds that these guns are available, only “owner-authorized” handguns could be approved for sale in California.
The closest thing to this was a custom modified Smith & Wesson model 19. A San Jose gunsmith modified several revolvers that could only be fired by the owners wearing a special ring on their trigger fingers. He invented this system after a POS disarmed a SJPD officer and killed him with his own gun. This service was offered to the public after a successful test by LEOs.

There was an article about this gunsmith in GUN WORLD magazine back around 1976 or so...

MP301
04-19-2009, 6:03 AM
The closest thing to this was a custom modified Smith & Wesson model 19. A San Jose gunsmith modified several revolvers that could only be fired by the owners wearing a special ring on their trigger fingers. He invented this system after a POS disarmed a SJPD officer and killed him with his own gun. This service was offered to the public after a successful test by LEOs.

There was an article about this gunsmith in GUN WORLD magazine back around 1976 or so...

My father was involved with another guy in the 70's (probably 76) while he was an Oakland cop and he still has his modified model 19. Being that he was an Oakland cop and this occurred when I was just 10 years old, I assumed that this was the result of an Oakland cop getting shot and not in San Jose, but who knows. Ill ask him when I get the chance what all of the details were.

I dont remember exactly how it worked, but the gun was locked up tighter then a drum after the modification unless the user had a Magnetic ring on his on one of his fingers and it had to be on the hand that you were holding the gun in.

What I remember my father saying was that it was unreliable and was not good for the integrity of the gun (cutting away the frame and such)...and support side shooting if it became necessary would require you to wear the big oversized ring on each hand or remember under serious stress that you needed to switch the ring to the other hand. Not practical really...

A side note... I asked him why it took so long for depts to switch to autos and he said some of the early ones that were introdeced for testing had jam problems and they were of the mid that reliability was more important then extra firepower...I wonder what guns were tested?

johnny_22
04-20-2009, 6:15 AM
Need to point out the advantages of eliminating the subjective "good cause" from CCW license approval. Also, point out that the training and qual requirements remain the same (AB 357).

All the rest of the faxes urged no votes for many of same reasons as the last time these ideas were brought up.