PDA

View Full Version : Question about registered AW in CA

darkest2000
04-17-2009, 3:35 PM
I have a buddy who has a Off list HK that is a registered AW in CA, he's thinking of selling it, does anyone know if he can reconfigure it to be CA compliant, and sell it here?

reidnez
04-17-2009, 3:36 PM
Edit: your question is unclear. If it's "off-list," then it is not an AW. They are contradictory terms. If it is an off-list weapon which is illegally configured for California, then he would need to install a magazine lock and 10-round magazine before he imports it.

There is nothing you can do to a listed AW to bring it up to code. A listed AW can never be transferred between civilians in CA.

darkest2000
04-17-2009, 3:41 PM
Nope. There is nothing you can do to a listed AW to bring it up to code. He can't transfer it within California.

If you read my first post I stated that it's an OFF list HK that was registered (back in 2000)

Shane916
04-17-2009, 3:41 PM
Edit: your question is unclear. If it's "off-list," then it is not an AW. They are contradictory terms. If it is an off-list weapon which is illegally configured for California, then he would need to install a magazine lock and 10-round magazine before he imports it.

There is nothing you can do to a listed AW to bring it up to code. A listed AW can never be transferred between civilians in CA.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/regagunfaqs.php#13

Semi similar..

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=143573

ke6guj
04-17-2009, 3:52 PM
No, we don't limit AW to "listed" firearms. We include anything that was registered as an AW during the registration period, including Mini-14's, M1A's, M1 Carbines, etc, that had the evil features.

If the OP had an off-list HK-pattern firearm that had a detachable magazine and a PG, he would have needed to register it as an AW. It is Off-list but is still a RAW. Since it is off-list, he could remove the evil features, or go fixed-mag, and configure it into a non-AW configuration. At that point, he could send int the paperwork to cancelll the AW registration.

edit: typed while reidnez deleted post.

edit2: That brings up an interesting point. It has been mentioned on the forum that CADOJ has, on occasion, wanted to see the firearm to see that it was rendered a non-AW. Has anybody gone fixed-mag with a BB-type device and successfully got the AW registration cancelled by CADOJ? Wouldn't that be a defacto acknowedgement of the the legality of the BB?

reidnez
04-17-2009, 4:01 PM
Hey, my fault...I didn't fully understand OP. I see the issue now. Apparently you can "de-register" an AW if it was originally listed for evil features. I guess the next step for him is to send a letter to DOJ. I wouldn't be thrilled about doing that myself...

darkest2000
04-18-2009, 2:42 AM
Thanks for all the info.

saki302
04-18-2009, 3:52 AM
Talk him out of it. Having a registered AW is PRICELESS in CA.

-Dave

psssniper
04-18-2009, 7:46 AM
Going through this process with a friend right now. The guns in question were reg'ed AW's by feature only. None are named. So according to their own FAQ (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/regagunfaqs.php#13) if the feature is removed the gun can be de'reg. Yup that's what it says :) Now in practice this is proving to be a clustertruck. We are getting the royal runaround. Sent all the requests registered mail, they received, one week later we get a call, Mr Special Agent:"are you sure you want to de-reg?" yes we do "If you do, you cant add them again later" yes we know "Okay a local agent will give you a call and set up a time to take a look at the weapons" That was four weeks ago and we have received no more calls, We have made numerous follow up calls and left messages that never get returned. Next step is to get the lawyers involved. A simple letter might do the trick or not. Who knows.

ke6guj pm sent