PDA

View Full Version : lefty upper dust cover vs EO Tech

TZL
04-17-2009, 1:20 PM
So I have a lefty AR upper (so the dust cover flips up on lefties, not down like on normal ARs)

I was using an Eo-tech on the setup, so the dust cover does not fully flip up

Last night I had two rounds FTE and get jammed, looks like they didn't clear the dust cover

Should I:

1) Just run an aimpoint on riser on this setup?

2) get a really tall eotech riser

3) remove the dust cover? dust covers aren't really necessary for safe queens anyways right?

any other thoughts?

Weasel
04-17-2009, 1:31 PM
I'd probably just scrap the dust cover... it isn't going to be doing anything unless you plan on dragging the rifle through the mud anyways...

smogcity
04-17-2009, 4:12 PM
get a gg&g accucam for the eotech. Problem solved (i have two on lefty builds)

Fjold
04-17-2009, 4:29 PM
I put 50 rounds through my lefty Stag last weekend with the new Eotech mounted. I did notice that the cover didn't open all the way but I didn't have any FTE. I looked at the Accucam but the lever sticks out further than the Eotech mount on my 517.A65. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that my model mounts higher than some other Eotechs.

B Strong
04-17-2009, 5:02 PM
I'd go with #3, ditch the dust cover.

slick_711
04-17-2009, 9:11 PM
Just ditch the dustcover. Inexpensive solution (free) and will solve the problem without creating any new problems.

brassburnz
04-17-2009, 11:48 PM
I've got a lefty Stag. I don't have any optics on it now, but have a Trigicon Accupoint with the LaRue SPR-E mount for it. If the 3 dollar part starts dinging up my $600 scope, guess which part gets the boot first?

Teachdaire
04-18-2009, 10:51 AM
Depends. I know a lot of people don't like the front sight blocking the eotech window so they get the small riser to place it in the lower third of the window. One of those might just raise the eotech enough so that the dust cover won't cause any FTEs. I've got the same setup as you without the riser and I don't get FTEs but I suspect that I have my eotech placed in a different location than you. If the dust cover is striking the thickest part of your eotech just moving it backwards or forwards might fix your problem.

tankerman
04-18-2009, 10:59 AM
Does the dust cover mount differently on a left hand AR-15?

I shoot rifles left hand but only own right hand AR's.

TZL
04-18-2009, 2:39 PM
I'm just going to ditch the dust cover

The dust cover on a lefty AR is top hindged, so it folds up

I tried using my LaRue ECOS mount, but didn't raise it up far enough....ditching the dust cover will be easiest...

Depends. I know a lot of people don't like the front sight blocking the eotech window so they get the small riser to place it in the lower third of the window. One of those might just raise the eotech enough so that the dust cover won't cause any FTEs. I've got the same setup as you without the riser and I don't get FTEs but I suspect that I have my eotech placed in a different location than you. If the dust cover is striking the thickest part of your eotech just moving it backwards or forwards might fix your problem.