PDA

View Full Version : San Diego BOS starting process for Sheriff Appointment

Bill_in_SD
04-17-2009, 2:04 PM
The Board of Supervisors will be meeting April 21, 2009 to set the wheels in motion for selection of a Sheriff appointee to replace retiring Sheriff Bill Kolender.

From the Agenda for 4/21/2009:
<snip>
1. Determine that the process to fill the vacancy of the County Sheriff will be
conducted in accordance with the San Diego County Charter and Board
Policy A-105, including the public hearing process, requirements of the
applicant, the application form and the selection process.
2. Direct the Clerk of the Board to return within 30 days with a public hearing
schedule, an application deadline, an application form, the form of notice
for the Clerk to advertise for the position, including newspaper
advertisements and news releases, and any other materials and information
that are required to conduct this public hearing appointment process
pursuant to Board Policy A-105.
<snip>

Policy A-105 can be found here:
http://www.sdcounty.ca.gov/cob/policy/index.html#sectiona

It looks like we can expect 2 public hearings with no less than 3 days between them.

Stay tuned for more as things develop! I don't have a crystal ball so I am hoping others 'in the know' will share as the process moves forward.

KylaGWolf
04-17-2009, 9:53 PM
Oh it is going to be tempting for me to cut my computer classes that day and try to go to that meeting.

Bill_in_SD
04-17-2009, 9:55 PM
I think the first meeting is just to get the process set up - the important meetings will come later.

Alphahookups
04-17-2009, 10:08 PM
I think I'm tired of being a passive voter. I didn't go to the tea parties because I was working(but I could have easily gotten off), and now I regret it. I think I am going to try and go to these meetings if possible.

mike_schwartz@mail.com
04-17-2009, 10:31 PM
The positiion of Sheriff is very important for shooters. NOT just for CCW reasons. Look at this website:

www.lgrgc.info

The Sheriff's Department in San Diego is trying to regulate the shooting ranges out of existence. They are dictating shooting policy in general. Had we not gotten in front of the County Board in time, the Sheriff's Department's proposal would have passed in January.

If you shoot and you live in San Diego, this proposal affects you.

motorhead
04-18-2009, 9:46 AM
you know where this is going. kolender named gore and he will be rubber stamped into office. it's been so since time immemorial.

Bill_in_SD
04-18-2009, 9:55 AM
That is indeed how things have gone.

But how much input was given by the public in those cases?

If I was a Supervisor, my job is made easy when no one from the public provides input and all I have to do is take the path of least resistance. I was not around for any appointment, and Sheriff appointments are not very often so..... all I can rely on is the recent Orange County experience.

Remember, now is the time for CHANGE! :thumbsup:

U2BassAce
04-18-2009, 10:37 AM
I think the first meeting is just to get the process set up - the important meetings will come later.

Being from OC. I would tell you all in SD to be at everyone of the meetings if possible. Make CCW if not THE issue a BIG issue. You should be able to make a public comment of some kind when that agenda item comes up. Start planting the seeds early!:chris:

You want the BOS to be asking that question to the prospects during the interview process and if they hear the wrong answer, it is a negative!

tmuller
04-18-2009, 3:08 PM
The positiion of Sheriff is very important for shooters. NOT just for CCW reasons.

Agreed. this is very important. Looking forward to location and additional information.

motorhead
04-19-2009, 9:25 AM
ok i'm a cynic. i stop to smell the flowers, then look around for the coffin! some legal issues have been raised about the appointment process that may well change the status quo. bear in mind us oldtimers can remenber when sherriff and d.a. were lifetime positions in sd county.

Doheny
04-19-2009, 9:30 AM
Anyone who doubts it's not important to get involved needs to look north to OC. As a result, they (we) have had CCW permits pulled and a L.A. style of law enforcement shoved down our throats. Now is your chance to be heard; let the BOS you care who gets appointed and that they are responsible for selecting the right person. If not, their jobs could be in jeopardy next.

Bill_in_SD
04-19-2009, 1:42 PM
From today's UT:
http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/apr/19/1n19gore223847-lead-candidate-replace-sheriff-has-/?politics&zIndex=84861

Lead candidate to replace sheriff has fans, critics
By Jeff McDonald (Contact) Union-Tribune Staff Writer

2:00 a.m. April 19, 2009

William Gore

WILLIAM GORE
Residence: Mission Hills
Family: Wife, Natalie; adult son, Ryan
Experience: Sheriff's Department, five years; various FBI positions over 32 years, including head of San Diego office

San Diego County's sheriff apparent is a native son with a master's degree in public administration who spent decades with the FBI and whose family roots in local law enforcement date to the 1940s.

William Gore is widely expected to be appointed interim sheriff by the county Board of Supervisors, which will start the process of replacing retiring Sheriff Bill Kolender this week.

The appointment could give him an edge in the 2010 sheriff's election, which already has four other candidates.

Supporters say Gore is a true professional, a natural leader with experience at many levels. Critics say he never walked a beat or staffed a patrol car, and never worked overnight on New Year's Eve. They question his role in two national imbroglios for the FBI.

Even before Kolender said he would retire in July – with 18 months left in his fourth term – Gore earned a wealth of endorsements in addition to the sheriff, a longtime family friend.

The district attorney, three mayors, one member of Congress and dozens of community leaders are among those who signed on to the Gore campaign. Three of five county supervisors also endorsed Gore.

Gore, 61, said he accomplished much in his few years as undersheriff. He pointed to a regional crime lab, new citizen advisory boards, updated radio systems, automated record keeping and a commitment to community policing.

The sheriff “has given me pretty much leeway in things I want to do and things I want to implement,” Gore said in an interview last week in his office, where an award of merit signed by President Bill Clinton hangs on the wall. Gore's desk bears a chunk of granite carved with the words, “Attitude is Everything.”

In the family

Gore was born in 1947 at Mercy Hospital in Hillcrest, the third son of budding San Diego police investigator William Gore.

In the late 1950s, the elder William Gore took Kolender, then a young officer, under his wing. Kolender made lieutenant inside a decade and was named chief of police in 1975.

All three Gore sons followed in their father's law-enforcement footsteps. Larry Gore spent 33 years with the San Diego police before serving as the West Sacramento police chief. Michael Gore was a sheriff's deputy for 15 years before turning to private security.

The Gore boys grew up in the College Area. The youngest son attended Crawford High School and was admitted to the University of San Diego. William Gore embraced public service early; at USD, he majored in public administration and served briefly as a Navy aviator during the Vietnam War.

After his discharge, Gore didn't take the local law-enforcement path. He joined the FBI. He was sent to Kansas City and then Seattle, where he met his wife, Natalie Sabin, one of the first female FBI agents. He earned a master's in public administration from Seattle University.

Ruby Ridge

After assignments in Honolulu and Washington, D.C., Gore returned to Seattle as special agent in charge. In August 1992, he arrived at a remote mountaintop in northern Idaho, where a U.S. marshal and a 14-year-old boy had been killed in a gunfight that broke out as marshals tried to arrest the boy's father, Randall Weaver.

The scene was chaotic. Dozens of agents converged on the ridge and set up a perimeter while Weaver and his family holed up in their cabin. The next day, an agent mistakenly shot and killed Weaver's wife, Vicki, as Weaver and another man appeared outside the cabin, armed.

Gore and other commanders didn't know at the time that Weaver's wife and son were dead. Agents found the boy's body in an outbuilding near the main cabin on the third day and learned about Vicki's death later.

“All of a sudden, you're saying, 'No wonder they were reluctant' ” to come out again, said Gore, who served in a command-support role to Salt Lake City FBI chief Eugene Glenn.

After a tense showdown with more than 100 agents stretched into its 11th day, Weaver gave up.

The FBI was criticized for its actions. A dozen agents were suspended or demoted for lying about what happened. Gore was not among them. He was promoted to assistant FBI director and returned to Washington, D.C., in 1994.

Still, the incident remains a rallying cry for those who say the government was out of control, and Gore's involvement could taint him.

“The Ruby Ridge fiasco shows poor judgment on the part of the people involved, and my understanding is he was one of the principals,” said Ron Godwin, who manages a gun store in El Cajon and hosts a gun-rights radio show. “Putting him in as an appointee is simply so he can run as an incumbent (sheriff) and make it more easy for him.”

Gore was among four agents who refused to testify at a U.S. Senate hearing on Ruby Ridge. He said his lawyer advised against it because an Idaho prosecutor was pursuing murder charges against agents.

In 1997, Gore learned there was an opening to head the San Diego field office and he jumped at the chance to move home. When he got the job, he quickly focused on fighting drug smuggling along the U.S.-Mexico border, especially the Arellano Félix cartel.

“To not work them as a No. 1 priority would have been negligent,” he said.

The national spotlight found Gore once again after the terror attacks Sept. 11, 2001. An inspector general's office report chided the San Diego office for failing to follow a 1998 directive from headquarters to make counterterrorism – not the drug trade – its top priority.

Furthermore, two hijackers on the plane that crashed into the Pentagon spent most of 2000 in San Diego, even taking flying lessons at San Diego's Montgomery Field and renting a room from a known FBI informant.

Gore praised the work San Diego field agents did after the attacks and blamed a lack of communication for not identifying the threat earlier.

“It's a tragic breakdown in the whole Sept. 11 scenario,” he said. “Clearly, had the CIA given that information to the FBI back in October 2000, after the bombing of the Cole (a U.S. Navy destroyer) . . . we probably could have tracked the two hijackers.”

Still, Gore has a fan in Randall Hamud, the San Diego immigration attorney who defended three Muslim men held as material witnesses in the months after Sept. 11.

Hamud credited the former San Diego FBI chief for balancing the needs of a nation in anguish with the civil rights of thousands of Muslim-Americans in this region.

“Our communities were able to bring concerns to his office, and they were looked into,” said Hamud, who criticized the Bush administration after Sept. 11. “At the same time, when mistakes were made, (Gore) was there to accept responsibility as an individual and on behalf of the government.”

Gore left the FBI after 32 years in January 2003, 16 months after the attacks, and took a job overseeing investigations for District Attorney Bonnie Dumanis. He says his departure was voluntary, and he rejects the notion that local FBI agents could have thwarted the terrorist acts.

One year later, Gore moved to the Sheriff's Department, where he became a top assistant to his father's protégé – Kolender, who had been elected sheriff in 1994.

Even then, there was talk that Gore was being groomed for the top job, that the aging sheriff would not finish his term. Those rumors persisted despite Kolender's repeated vow to serve all four years he sought from voters.

So far, five candidates have filed to run for sheriff. The others are former San Diego Police Chief David Bejarano, former Deputy Sheriffs' Association President Jim Duffy, former undersheriff and Assemblyman Jay La Suer and former sheriff's Sgt. Bruce Ruff.

All but Gore urged county supervisors not to appoint the undersheriff, saying to do so would give him an unfair advantage in the run-up to June 2010.

Gore said the best-qualified person should get the appointment.

nicki
04-19-2009, 9:06 PM
For those of you who will be attending hearings in San Diego, may I humbly request someone ask the following questions of the board of supervisors.

Some statements to work with.

The current law for CCW permits was passed in 1923 and it's intent was to strip non whites of gun rights so that it would be safe to violate the rest of their rights.

The current CCW law allows sheriffs to discriminate in issuance of CCW permits. There is conflict between the CCW policies and the state guarantee of equal protection.

Are you going to tell the sheriff to bring his gun policies into compliance with art 1 sec 7b of the cal constitution or are we going to bankrupt the county paying for upcoming civil rights lawsuits.

I would strongly suggest they consider looking up to Orange county. If they think that is bad, wait till Heller is incorporated.

Good luck.

Nicki

KylaGWolf
04-19-2009, 9:39 PM
I see our so called fair newspaper yet again ignored some facts. doesn't surprise me though.

Legasat
04-19-2009, 10:06 PM
I saw on ch 8 news tonight a story that started with "The San Diego County Board of Supervisors is getting ready to appoint Undersheriff Gore to an interim position as San Diego County Sheriff, since Sheriff Bill Kolender is retiring this summer."

They made it sound like it's a done deal....

GuyW
04-28-2009, 5:13 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=175914