PDA

View Full Version : CNBC video: PA Governor, AWs "Nuts" for "Ordinary Citizens"

Paladin
04-17-2009, 12:45 PM
The video is 7 min long, but only the first 5 min are re firearms. The balance is about PA's economy.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/30266124

You have got to watch the video interview of PA Governor Ed Rendell (D). CNBC's synopsis does not do it justice. The Gov first starts off w/how unreliable and difficult to operate AWs are, and that if you wanted to defend yourself you'd be better served w/a revolver(!) than w/an AW, and then in the next breath says how deadly and effective AWs are, that they're only used to kill and maim, and implies that they killed 3 LEOs back east and 4 in Oakland. (IIRC, only 1 of the 3 back east were killed w/an AW and only 2 of the 4 in Oakland.)

Next he says that they are made for short range, and then says how some BG recently killed a LEO w/one at long range.

Of course, none of the CNBC anchor/reporters take him to task for his inconsistencies.

He then throws in that LE is against private ownership of AWs and that since you don't use them for hunting or Olympic target shooting, they serve no legitimate use.

He blows off the idea that a state level AWB is effective, that it must be federal. Well, in that case, he should advocate repealing the ones in the PRK among other states. Nope, IMO, he doesn't want to push for one in his state b/c he knows it will kill him at the polls at the next election. He wants Washington to do his "dirty work." Time for some more Tea Parties in PA!

The propaganda continues. All I can say is thank God for Heller.

Be sure to cross post this to the big national forums. Also, try to think of anyone who will be graduating who is on our side and give them an Annual membership (or better), to the NRA as a gift. Check out the link in my sig line re 16 things YOU CAN DO to strengthen our side in the fight.

DDT
04-17-2009, 12:51 PM
The Gov first starts off w/how unreliable and difficult to operate AWs are

Pick one:
1) AWs aren't REALLY military weapons, they just look like them.
2) AWs are REALLY military weapons; our soldiers have unreliable weapons.

yellowfin
04-17-2009, 1:03 PM
Hopefully PA's pro 2A crowd will get him and his minions thrown out.

bulgron
04-17-2009, 1:10 PM
An AW ban would never pass constitutional muster in Pennsylvania, and old Ed knows it too. So he wants the Feds to pass one.

Of course, the bad news for Ed is that an AW ban at the federal level is probably not constitutional either (depending on who's on the court when that question gets argued). All this talk about a renewed AW ban is therefore just hot air.

I mean, if you were the Democratic leadership, would you be willing to burn a huge amount of political capitol in order to pass a law that (1) will probably get you thrown out of power and that (2) probably won't pass constitutional scrutiny?

The Dems are stupid, but not that stupid.

That said, if they're going to do it, I wish they'd do it before we lose all our friends on SCOTUS. Besides, it would be fun to see what happens to the Dems at the polls if they actually passed a new AW ban.

gcvt
04-17-2009, 1:15 PM
That's odd. I've never had any difficulty firing my rifles, and none of them have ever jammed. Hmm, I guess that means they're okay for me to own. Heck, my guns don't even use these "clips" he speaks of :)

yellowfin
04-17-2009, 1:20 PM
An AW ban would never pass constitutional muster in Pennsylvania, and old Ed knows it too. So he wants the Feds to pass one. The interesting thing is that also under PA's constitution, it's a criminal offense for him to collude with others to push for one, possibly even as he's doing already.

CmpsdNoMore
04-17-2009, 2:04 PM
Pick one:
1) AWs aren't REALLY military weapons, they just look like them.
2) AWs are REALLY military weapons; our soldiers have unreliable weapons.

I've never thought of it like that before. Shame on the government for giving our troops unreliable weapons!
+1

dwa
04-17-2009, 2:12 PM
this guy is a tool. for one that doesn't understand any of the terminology he uses i think its hilarious that hes calling out Wayne.

CCWFacts
04-17-2009, 2:14 PM
That's hilarious because AR-15s (in general) are the #1 selling center-fire rifle in the US.

Oh and btw, the Mauser was considered an "AW" in its day, unnecessary for hunting and inappropriate for civilian ownership because of its high rate of fire. I'm sure the first metalic-ctg rifles in general were called AWs. I'm sure the first revolver was called an AW (or whatever term they used in 1850).

Anyway, that video is mind-boggling. His reasons for why AWs are so bad change (are opposite) in every sentence. It's just like this:

(at 3:40)
OzoRD1Qvm10

First they're too short-range. Then they're too long-range. First they don't have enough power to be effective. Then they're too powerful for civilians to own. First they jam too much and are unreliable (yeah, AKs are world-renown as "jam-o-matics"). Then they are only suited for military / LE (because they're so reliable).

He says that a revolver or handgun is an appropriate civilian weapon, but actually, in my observation of new shooters, I see a lot worse mishandling of handguns than of any long guns, and the statistics confirm that also, with a lot more handgun negligence incidents than with long guns of any type. And criminal misuse of handguns of any type is much greater than of long guns of any type.

SKSer
04-17-2009, 2:48 PM
if there so "complicated to operate" wouldnt that make them a great home defense weapon seeing how if your children get ahold of them they wont be able to make the thing go off, they should start letting us take home these evil guns with no trigger locks. Of course the retarted anchors dont ask any real questions or make any any good points.

Nodda Duma
04-17-2009, 6:35 PM
He ignored the fact--like most politicians-- that they would be about the best thing a civilian could get his/her hands on for the purpose that the 2A was *really* intended for.

-Jason

yellowfin
04-17-2009, 6:39 PM
^ That is precisely why politicians make persecution of them a first priority.

badicedog
04-17-2009, 6:50 PM
Im sick and tired of stupid politicians equating 2A and hunting/sporting purposes....WTF It is a known fact that our forefathers hunted, or you didn' t eat PERIOD! 2A is about keeping the government in check....

Roadrunner
04-17-2009, 6:51 PM
Rendell is just another political idiot spouting the same old propaganda. The least he could do is present an intelligent and convincing argument

lomalinda
04-17-2009, 10:26 PM
He's a ****ing liar, plain and simple.

He claims the guns aren't worth anything at the Olympics or the duck range. Ergo, it oughtn't be owned by those who'd defend themselves.

LOL @ "There is no argument!!!!"

SJgunguy24
04-17-2009, 10:34 PM
Nobody hunts with an AK???????:confused:

Ok.....so I guess I don't want a stupid reliable semi auto that I can drop in the mud and not have to worry about it working later. Who would want quick follow up shots.........with a wild pig charging:confused:

I had a talk with a guy on the train about guns. I asked if he wanted to trade jobs for a while......I'm sure nothing would get messed up at all.

He asked if I did I.T. work(have no clue what that is).....ahhh ....No:confused:
"Well your not qualified your do so then" he said.

Then how do you expect a carrer politcian with no military experiance, no knowledge of firearms, armed guards at the ready to know anything about guns? Oh yeah.......he also gets to write laws about things he doesn't understand.:thumbsup:

Jamez
04-18-2009, 12:06 AM
He does have a point, assault weapons are hard to operate....if you lack any sort of common sense and motor skills

Does anyone remember the Hot Pocket commercial (or maybe it was the hot dog/bun cookers) where the narrator says "Are you tired of this?" and the mom tried to cram an entire pizza into a toaster?

That commercial reminds me of this statement.

tombinghamthegreat
04-18-2009, 12:15 AM
From my experience AW style rifles or my case featureless rifles like saigas are much more easier to use, clean, load and maintain than any hunting rifle. Its not rocket science to use a firearm, much more simpler to use and maintain(cheaper too) than a car.

Dont Tread on Me
04-18-2009, 12:31 AM
My only question is, why do we (well the people of PA) elect idiots like this.

Plisk
04-18-2009, 12:39 AM
I cant get the video to play for me... does anyone know of an alternate link?

B Strong
04-18-2009, 7:06 AM
Rendell is an old lefty gun grabber. I wouldn't expect anything different from him.

fullrearview
04-18-2009, 7:12 PM
if they are so ineffective then why ban them????

Plisk
04-18-2009, 7:51 PM
Can anyone give me an alternate link to the video, or at least an audio file of it?

Shane916
04-19-2009, 7:49 AM

They probably wonder the same about is.

bulgron
04-19-2009, 9:05 AM

No doubt the urban voters in Pittsburgh and Philadelphia elected Rendell. I'm pretty sure the majority of the rural voters in the middle of the state want nothing to do with him.

Dont Tread on Me
04-19-2009, 10:06 AM
They probably wonder the same about is.

With Franinstien, Peloski, etc. I guess we really cannot throw stones.

My general point is that we the American people in general seams to be content to elect idiots who lie or misunderstand reality and reelect them!

yellowfin
04-19-2009, 10:27 AM
It is sad but true that paying attention to government has become an obscure hobby rather than a fundamental civic duty in the minds of too many Americans. Rational ignorance is exploited to its maximum effect. Wasn't it Plato who said "The punishment for the wise who refuse to participate in their government is to live under the rule of worse men " ?