PDA

View Full Version : Big 5 Mosins

rojocorsa
04-17-2009, 11:03 AM
How are Mosin Nagants from Big 5? Are they refurbished and cleaned, or is it better to buy a 91/30 at a gun show?

Plisk
04-17-2009, 11:06 AM
I bought my 91/30 at a Big 5. There was no Cosmoline on it, so I'm assuming they are cleaned. It wasn't guaranteed to function correctly, they recommend taking it to a gunsmith. Mine was in excellent condition, used of course, but good condition. A very quick check by my gunsmith and she was good to go. That was 3 years ago, and I've yet to clean her. Still looks like the day I got her. :D

rojocorsa
04-17-2009, 11:13 AM
Will a gunsmith charge you to take a look at it?

Double_D
04-17-2009, 11:30 AM
The mosin I got from big 5 was FULL of cosmoline. It was my 1st rifle and I got bolt jam about every shot. I just cleaned it down all the metal parts with carb cleaner, oiled it back up, and it couldnt have worked any smoother. With carb cleaner, it takes less than 20 mins to clean it up. gunsmiths shouldnt charge you to just take a look at your gun. After I bought a PU scope, PU mount, and turned-down bolt handle, my gunsmith installed everything on there for $80. I didn't trust myself drilling and tapping into the receiver.

mblat
04-17-2009, 11:32 AM
The mosin I got from big 5 was FULL of cosmoline. It was my 1st rifle and I got bolt jam about every shot. I just cleaned it down all the metal parts with carb cleaner, oiled it back up, and it couldnt have worked any smoother. With carb cleaner, it takes less than 20 mins to clean it up. gunsmiths shouldnt charge you to just take a look at your gun. After I bought a PU scope, PU mount, and turned-down bolt handle, my gunsmith installed everything on there for $80. I didn't trust myself drilling and tapping into the receiver.

What kind of groups are your getting out of your baby? Wicth what ammo and scope?

Plisk
04-18-2009, 12:35 AM
Will a gunsmith charge you to take a look at it?

I took mine into Evans Gunsmithing (Don't flame me) and it took less than a minute, no charge. I think he just had to check its headspace.

ontmark
04-18-2009, 7:14 AM
Good place to deal with.
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Surplus_and_Used_Long_Guns.html

pewpewguns
04-18-2009, 8:52 AM
Mine was broken when I bought it... Of course I didn't notice it until I took it to the range... The bolt is a little loose in the stock and it sealed closed when I fired it..

I had to hit the bolt against the bench as hard as I could many times to get it open again.

May be partially due to the lacquered ammo but mainly the receiver or the stock came broken when I bought it..

In short, Inspect the rifle very thoroughly for defects before purchasing

rojocorsa
04-18-2009, 12:21 PM
Sticky bolt is mainly caused by cosmoline, I am told. I'm guessing that what happens is that trace amounts of the stuff get left behind in the "nooks and crannies" of the chamber and with the heat of firing, the molecules in the stuff start to spread.

rojocorsa
04-18-2009, 12:23 PM
Good place to deal with.
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Surplus_and_Used_Long_Guns.html

Question: I saw that 91/30 on this link, but why do all the guns say FFL required? Do they refer to a C&R license? Because those guns are not definitely Class III material.

Jon Se
04-18-2009, 1:38 PM
"01/03 FFL Required"

a C&R license is an 03 FFL :thumbsup:

rojocorsa
04-19-2009, 10:23 AM
It's all good then. I will surely invest in a C&R license in the future.

Vox
04-19-2009, 10:48 AM
How are Mosin Nagants from Big 5? Are they refurbished and cleaned, or is it better to buy a 91/30 at a gun show?

it's hit and miss. MY M44 was in great shape, two of my friends bought 91/30s, one of them had a little bit of pitting in the barrel and needed to be completely reblued, the other had minor cosmetic problems in the stock, but all three of them were WWII production and had a ****-ton of cosmolene on them. I think you're more likely to find a cleaned Mosin-Nagant at a gun show, but the one I was at yesterday was woefully short on historic battle rifles, all I saw were M1 Carbines and a single Garand. IT might be better to take your time and inspect the Mosin you want to get from Big 5 and make the effort to clean it yourself.

Big048
04-19-2009, 10:27 PM
If you see a Mosin at Big 5 get while you can, we're not stocking them anymore, not sure why. I'm guessing our supplier has run out of them and that is only a guess, I'm not one of the buyers.

yetii
06-03-2009, 12:21 PM
i bought a 91/30 about 2 years ago. was packed in cosmo in the wax paper. i did a quick inspection, looked good took it home, cleaned it very good, took to desert and shot 100 or so rounds with no problem. you just need to clean the chamber really good. i used an otis field kit to clean the chamber and sprayed the action with a good coat of clp.

Geodetic
06-03-2009, 12:32 PM
I've gotten a total of 6 Mosin Nagants at big 5. 4 91/30s and 2 M44s. One of the M44s had a worn trigger mechanism that would sometime cause it to fire unintentionally or not cock the bolt mechanism properly; I had that replaced. 5 of the 6 have moderate to sever pitting in the barrels, but the other M44 had a near perfect shiny bore. I'd definitely recommend a good clean and safety check before loading it up (at the range of course). Can be dangerous if not properly inspected.

leitung
06-03-2009, 12:40 PM
I have one of the M91/30s it runs great and came clean.

TZL
06-03-2009, 12:44 PM
if you shoot it, you might want to clean it, alot of the 7.62x54r is corrosive

That was 3 years ago, and I've yet to clean her. ....

5hundo
06-03-2009, 12:52 PM
My vote would be "buy a 91/30 at a show"...

Not that it really matters (because there are millions and millions of Nagants), it's just that those ridiculous dot-matrix numbers on the receiver really peave me. At a gun show, you will be able to find a Nagant in perhaps a slightly more "unaltered" condition...

Jonathan Doe
06-03-2009, 2:28 PM
I had one. When I bought it, the sales guy brought several out and I chose the one I like the best. They were in almost like new condition.

TregoMark
06-03-2009, 4:23 PM

Big 5 gets their Mosins from Century Internations Arms http://www.centuryarms.com/. For the most part, they're standard refurb Mosins. Just check the inside of the barrel for pitting and anything broken or missing like sights or cracked like the toe of the stock (common).

Mine was broken when I bought it... Of course I didn't notice it until I took it to the range... The bolt is a little loose in the stock and it sealed closed when I fired it..

I had to hit the bolt against the bench as hard as I could many times to get it open again.

May be partially due to the lacquered ammo but mainly the receiver or the stock came broken when I bought it..

A sticky bolt is a common problem with surplus Mosins. A clean chamber and non-laquered ammo helps. How exactly was the receiver or stock broken??

rojocorsa
08-23-2009, 11:00 PM
I haven't checked this thread in a while. I am still looking for a Mosin (haven't had the chance to get one yet). But it looks like I would rather pick one up at a gun show.

Besides, it has been a very long time since I have seen any Mosins (either 91/30s or M44s) for sale on the Big 5 specials. Now I only see Steyr M-95s in 8x56R and Yugo Mausers. So at this point, I think it is gun show or bust!

rojocorsa
08-23-2009, 11:00 PM
http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/eliminatesbs/index.asp

Here is a good website that tells you how to fix the sticky-bolt problem.

Dangerpin
08-23-2009, 11:41 PM
Besides, it has been a very long time since I have seen any Mosins (either 91/30s or M44s) for sale on the Big 5 specials. Now I only see Steyr M-95s in 8x56R and Yugo Mausers. So at this point, I think it is gun show or bust!

I hate to be the bearer of late AND bad news but they just had a sale on the 8th with 91/30's for $99. I drove around to all the Big-5 locations in town and managed to find a nice hex reciever with a good barrel and pretty nice looking wood. I was still in lurk mode here, as I usually try to just read messages for the first month or so. Next time I will sound off.

cbn620
08-24-2009, 12:28 AM
Head space, uneven chamber, uneven metal surfaces, marred or burred metal surfaces, worn/broken extractors, improperly fitted/bent extractors, marred/uneven/otherwise not good bolt head/face surfaces and any number of other issues can cause sticky bolt. To a lesser extent, firing pin protrusion may also be a culprit, if it's over-extending. It's not always cosmoline/lacquer. For instance, you can clean the ever loving crap out of it, but that won't save you if you're getting case expansion or if the extractor is simply not catching the round properly.

It's definitely hit or miss with these rifles. Sometimes you are unknowingly buying yourself a project. Most people in this situation get so frustrated they either sell it or hang it on the wall.

I think one of the best things you can do if you're new to Mosins and don't know quite what to look for is to avoid WWII dated guns. The further away from those dreadful dates when their factories were being bombed and quality control was the last of their concerns, the better. Non-WWII Mosins almost always look, feel and function better than their wartime counterparts. DEFINITELY look for smooth machining in the chamber and NEVER buy a Mosin based merely on how pretty the wood is.

Tula and Finnish made models also tend to be worth a second look, as these places have come to be known for better QT. For some reason hex receivers are also said to be smoother in the action and machining, but that could also simply be due to the fact that hex rifles were typically made before WWII.

edit: Oh, and if you can bring a gauge with you to check that headspace, by all means do. I also recommend a flashlight for seeing into the chamber.

onecrazyfoo4u
08-24-2009, 10:33 AM
I just saw an add in yesterday's paper that said big 5 had the 91-30's for $99 again. So hurry and get em while they're hot!

God Bless The Mauser
08-24-2009, 12:47 PM
I got 3 Mosins form Big 5. Two were 91/30s, one was counter bored and the bore had a little pitting but the rifle was clean and with a new finish on the stock it looks like new. The other 91/30 was really rough on the outside but the bore is near perfect. The last one is a 1943 M44 that's numbers matching and in excellent shape.

huck
08-24-2009, 2:13 PM
I just bought one at lunch time at the B5 in Livermore. I'm no expert, but it seemed in okay shape. I'll let you know in 11 days when I've had a chance to clean it.

This one was stamped 1938, BTW.

rojocorsa
08-24-2009, 7:11 PM
I guess then, that I haven't seen them featured in the specials for my area.

Actually I would like a pre WWII hex; in fact last time I went to the gun show (T&S in San Jose) I saw two immaculate 91/30s. All matching parts with clean bores. One was a 1930 Izhevsk and the other was a 1928 Ex-dragoon. It was a real shame I couldn't pick either of them up at the time. Seriously.