PDA

View Full Version : What if AWB does get passed?

hkusp9c
04-17-2009, 9:03 AM
I got my first handgun recently and I'm currently in a market for a Sig 556.
If the ban gets passed, what happens to all the guns purchased before the ban? Do you have to turn them into the LE? or do you get to keep'em if they were purchased before the ban?

Fate
04-17-2009, 9:05 AM
Nobody knows.

There is no AW bill even on the table. Relax for now. If it shows up on the docket, then we'll fight it.

popeye4
04-17-2009, 9:07 AM
Then the Republicans will be dancing in the streets.

chris
04-17-2009, 9:13 AM
you can thank the gun owners that voted for Obama.

yellowfin
04-17-2009, 9:42 AM
I seem to recall somewhere a crime of depriving individuals or a group of people of their constitutional rights.

CowboyShooter
04-17-2009, 9:49 AM
JUMPIN' JEBUS!

ANOTHER "what if" thread....?????

seriously? :eek:

:thumbsup:

WyoDuner
04-17-2009, 10:18 AM
As was mentioned there is no AWB on the table... BUT... We need to keep an eye out for more underhanded approaches to gun control - not just an AWB.

To answer the second part of your question - What happens if an AWB does pass here's my thoughts. Historically, in the USA at least, people have been able to keep all of their weapons. Registration and other rules may be applied but ownership has been "permitted".

But.... look at England, Australia, Canada - these democratic countries actually did confiscate weapons from the citizens after bans were placed into law. This all happened within the last 20 years or so.

So... It could happen here too but honestly, the politicians know what sort of civil unrest that would cause and probably won't take a direct approach on this. Again, keep an eye out for backdoor legislation....

hkusp9c
04-17-2009, 1:33 PM
JUMPIN' JEBUS!

ANOTHER "what if" thread....?????

seriously? :eek:

:thumbsup:

yeah seriously. And this forum is not privately owned by you and last time I checked, I still have the right to a free speech as long as I abide by Calgun forum rules. So I suggest you use your time productively from now on.:D

DDT
04-17-2009, 1:42 PM
yeah seriously. And this forum is not privately owned by you and last time I checked, I still have the right to a free speech as long as I abide by Calgun forum rules. So I suggest you use your time productively from now on.:D

Welcome to the forum. I'm glad you've decided to take the high road and used your first few posts here to build yourself a accurate reputation with your fellow CalGunners.

elSquid
04-17-2009, 2:33 PM
But.... look at England, Australia, Canada - these democratic countries actually did confiscate weapons from the citizens after bans were placed into law.

Canada didn't confiscate. "Evil guns" are registered and owners are permitted to keep and trade amongst similar folk. Basically, think of it like the CA AW ban, except licensed owners can sell/buy registered AWs with other licensed owners.

People who didn't have an evil gun as of a certain date were prohibited from _ever_ owning that class of firearm.

So if a Canada-style model is implemented US wide, folks that own AWs would be 'okay', those that didn't would be completely shut out.

{shrug}

-- Michael

ke6guj
04-17-2009, 2:47 PM
Didn't you hear that since they've been claiming our semi-auto rifles are MGs for so long in the media, we turned it around on them, slipped in a poison pill they accepted, and they are gonna NFA register everything as an MG? Go-fast switches for everybody :D :D

tiki
04-17-2009, 3:16 PM
Next time someone tells you there is no civilian use for an assault weapon, tell them its for when they come to take your other ones.

rp55
04-17-2009, 4:01 PM
Probably the same thing when CA outlawed sale of & registered AW's. What's the estimate on what got registered? I have read 10%. Mine went to a free state but most just vanished into thin air.

If the ban gets passed, what happens to all the guns purchased before the ban?