PDA

View Full Version : Obama: 'I have not backed off' on assault weapons ban

Pvt. Cowboy
04-17-2009, 6:30 AM
Obama: 'I have not backed off' on assault weapons ban (http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/obama-i-have-not-backed-off-on-assault-weapons-ban-2009-04-16.html)

By Sam Youngman

Posted: 04/16/09 07:26 PM [ET]

Political realities make reinstating the assault weapons ban extraordinarily difficult, President Obama said Thursday, but he stressed he is still in favor of the gun control measure.

Obama, joined by Mexican President Felipe Calderon at a press conference in Mexico City, said he and Calderon discussed the ban "extensively" during their meeting earlier in the day.

Mexican officials have said in recent days that they would like to see the ban reinstated, noting that more than 90 percent of guns recovered in Mexico come from the U.S.

The White House was quick to blunt comments Attorney General Eric Holder made earlier this year supportive of pursuing a reinstatement, but Obama said Thursday that he has not changed his position.

"I have not backed off at all from my belief that the assault weapons ban makes sense," Obama said, adding that he is not "under any illusions that reinstating that ban would be easy."

Instead, the president said his administration is focused on enforcing laws that are already on the books, like targeting guns that are illegally smuggled over the border that are "helping to fuel extraordinary violence" as the drug trade soars.

"That's something we can stop," Obama said.

Calderon acknowledged that the assault weapons ban, opposed by many Republicans and some conservative Democrats, is one of the "thorny topics," and he said it has to be approached with a "great deal of sensitivity."

"We know that it is a politically delicate topic," Calderon said, claiming that his government respects the policies and decisions of Congress.

Obama said he would push the Senate to ratify CIFTA, an interhemispheric small arms treaty that was signed during the Clinton's administration but stalled in the upper chamber.

Obama said he is "confident" the two countries can make progress on the epidemic of gun and drug violence along the border, but he acknowledged that it is unrealistic to think the problems can be eliminated altogether. Instead, the president said he would like to see drug-related violence reduced to the point it "becomes a localized criminal problem."

"That's the kind of progress I think can be made," Obama said. "We're going to be very focused on this. It's going to be a top priority."

In addition to guns, Obama and Calderon said they discussed immigration and the global economic crisis, and they announced a bilateral "framework" on energy and climate change."

Solidsnake87
04-17-2009, 6:40 AM
lol. I knew all the recent news was BS.....Obama, so predictable.

MolonLabe2008
04-17-2009, 6:41 AM
I was just going to post this.

Our battles have just begun. Be ever vigilant.

Can'thavenuthingood
04-17-2009, 6:46 AM
Text of CIFTA
http://www.fas.org/asmp/campaigns/smallarms/Cifta_Convention_text.htm

Some analysis here from Snowflake.
http://www.snowflakesinhell.com/2009/04/16/more-on-the-inter-american-arms-treaty/

Vick

Pvt. Cowboy
04-17-2009, 6:54 AM
Welcome to Obama's age of regarding the US Constitution as a 'Charter of negative liberties (http://www.crazykook.com/wordpress/?p=725)'.

We have until election day 2010 to assemble what we need to crush President Obama's plans like a warm M&M.

Just stomp them flat, mercilessly. Make him a dejected fellow in a big cold mansion with nothing to do all day but shoot hoops.

2buckchuck
04-17-2009, 7:09 AM
Mexican officials have said in recent days that they would like to see the ban reinstated, noting that more than 90 percent of guns recovered in Mexico come from the U.S.

I keep hearing this yet I a have been shown no proof.

"That's the kind of progress I think can be made," Obama said. "We're going to be very focused on this. It's going to be a top priority."

What happened to the economy being "Top Priority"?

What a douche bag.

Vin496
04-17-2009, 7:13 AM
I keep hearing this yet I a have been shown no proof

There is no proof because that number is made up.

Here is something I wrote on another forum this morning, when this topic of weapons from America came up, this was in response to a CBS news segment yesterday morning.

Here is the video we were referencing.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=4949458n

Now for those of you guys not aware of the actual facts. You cannot as a civilian buy grenades at all! Nor are machine guns easily purchased anywhere in the US.

As a matter of fact full auto weapons available are highly prized and collected. The prices reflect that, and the process to own one is full of paperwork and a long FBI background checks.

This is the media using scare tactics and just blatantly lying. The weapons that are being used come from illegal European/Asian Markets tapped into from FARC during the Columbian violence of the 80s/90s, not to mention Mexico's own highly corrupt military and security forces. In the last 10 years Mexico's Military(around 194,000) has enjoyed a desertion rate of around 10% per year. Meaning that in the last decade as many as 150,000 + personnel have fled the Military and many with their weapons. Mexico also has a policy of trying to find deserters for 3 months after the go AWOL, at which time they are officially discharged.

By contrast our Military has a force of around 840,000 and has a desertion rate of less than 1%. Leaving with your weapon is not an option at all.

Pyrodyne
04-17-2009, 7:15 AM
The 90 percent of recovered firearms come from the US. True. But they leave out the important part. That's 90 percent of the firearms that Mexico is sending to the US for positive identification. I saw this in an article a while back, i'll try to find it again. They don't have a major problem with US imported arms, they have a major problem with smuggled arms further south. Saying that firearms bought here are smuggled and sold in Mexico is probably true to a very minor point. There are also illegal immigrants that traverse the border both ways. However, I don't believe for a second that any grenades, rocket launchers, or FA small arms recovered in Mexico originate from the US. That's the part the "90 percent" news reports keep leaving out.

AKman
04-17-2009, 7:19 AM
Obama is a wimp, wants to be liked, and avoids direct confrontation. It was a lot easier for Obama to tell Mexico that the AW ban was a top priority than to say its a low priority. Obama wants your money and control of your life first, then he can go after your guns. So, after he has raised taxes, including a hidden carbon tax, gained control of your health care, he as significantly more leverage to enact an AW ban. The government will never come for your guns, but will tie gun control to your wallet. Fine, keep your guns, but you lose your health care coverage, social security, carbon use allotment, and who knows what else.

Aegis
04-17-2009, 7:19 AM
His rhetoric is simply grand standing. Obama, Holder and Di FI want a new ban, but post Heller and with several democratic congress and senate members already saying no way, they know it will never pass.

Can'thavenuthingood
04-17-2009, 7:25 AM
A statement by Senator Luger on 'U.S. - Mexico Border Violence' on 27March 2009.
He said
As much as 90 percent of the assault weapons and other guns used by Mexican drug cartels are coming from the United States, fueling drug-related violence that is believed to have killed more than 7,000 people since January 2008, according to estimates by Mexican and U.S. law enforcement officials.http://foreign.senate.gov/testimony/2009/LugarStatement090330a.pdf

He said it but made no reference to where he received his information.

Vick

BigBamBoo
04-17-2009, 7:37 AM

WilsonCQB
04-17-2009, 7:44 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/elections/2009/04/02/myth-percent-guns-mexico-fraction-number-claimed/

Can'thavenuthingood
04-17-2009, 8:15 AM
In the news article at the International Action Network on Small Arms (IANSA), a non government organization (NGO) they are using a paper by the Brady bunch to put forth the 90% argument as official.
http://www.iansa.org/

The paper is here dtd March 2009
Exporting Gun Violence
http://www.bradycenter.org/xshare/pdf/reports/exporting-gun-violence.pdf

The papers references siting the 90%
2 Dane Schiller & Dudley Althaus, Guns sold here kill in Mexico, HOUSTON CHRONICLE, Nov. 30, 2008
(90%);

U.S. DEPT. OF STATE, BUREAU FOR INTERNATIONAL NARCOTICS AND LAW ENFORCEMENT AFFAIRS,
International Narcotics Control Strategy Report, Vol. 1, Drug and Chemical Control 414 (Mar. 2009)
(95%);

John Asbury, Guns move south via Inland gangs, THE PRESS-ENTERPRISE, Sept. 28, 2008 (95%)

Manuel Roig-Franzia, U.S. guns behind cartel killings in Mexico, WASHINGTON POST, Oct. 29, 2007, at A1
(100%).

By the way the article says "It is estimated that around 2000 weapons per day are flowing from the US into Mexico".

So any news you read utilizing IANSA as a reference is highly suspect, to use kind words. These are the types of outfits that the media uses as source's for their stories. Its quick access and easy to reference if need be. Add in they are taught this at the schools of journalism, my suspician not based on fact, and its a built in bias.

How is IANSA funded? (Cut & pasted from IANSA's site) (http://www.iansa.org/about.htm)

IANSA’s work has been supported by funders including the Governments of UK, Belgium, Sweden and Norway, as well as the Ford Foundation, Rockefeller Foundation, Compton Foundation, Ploughshares Fund, John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, Open Society Institute, Samuel Rubin Foundation and Christian Aid.

http://www.iansa.org/un/index.htm
http://www.iansa.org/images/front-page/un-gun-sculpture-IANSA.jpg
Outside the UN Secretariat in New York Laura Cheeseman

Vick

popeye4
04-17-2009, 9:03 AM
The 90 percent of recovered firearms come from the US. True. But they leave out the important part. That's 90 percent of the firearms that Mexico is sending to the US for positive identification. I saw this in an article a while back, i'll try to find it again. They don't have a major problem with US imported arms, they have a major problem with smuggled arms further south. Saying that firearms bought here are smuggled and sold in Mexico is probably true to a very minor point. There are also illegal immigrants that traverse the border both ways. However, I don't believe for a second that any grenades, rocket launchers, or FA small arms recovered in Mexico originate from the US. That's the part the "90 percent" news reports keep leaving out.

Well, they may actually "originate" in the US, but what does that mean? They were originally manufactured in the US? I'll bet most of them (rocket launchers, grenades, etc) were given to the Mexican govt. by the US govt. and have ended up in the wrong hands due to corruption, theft, etc. After all, the Zetas were trained and equipped with the best gear by the US to fight the drug cartels, and they've been "turned".

It is easy for a talented propagandist to tell a lie while telling the truth..... :mad:

grahlaika
04-17-2009, 9:09 AM
It's a fact of life that statistics and reality will always lose out to a good speaker with a bullhorn feeding the emotions of an angry mob... Clearly this 90% issue is being repeated not because it's true, but because it's the argument people who are pushing for the anti-gun agenda want to hear and want to have heard by their supporters.

So much for the false choice of giving up freedoms to secure the illusion of safety...

chris
04-17-2009, 9:12 AM
of course Obama will not back down on another AWB. he's a gun banner and a democrat. what else is there to say. and not to forget AG Holder.

yellowfin
04-17-2009, 9:17 AM
The question is where in the continuum of high crimes and misdemeanors his actions fit.

U2BassAce
04-17-2009, 9:23 AM
The 90% stat is complete BS!!!!!:censored::nono:

The left out a key word.

The real number is 17%

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/elections/2009/04/02/myth-percent-guns-mexico-fraction-number-claimed/

U2BassAce
04-17-2009, 9:25 AM
There's just one problem with the 90 percent "statistic" and it's a big one:

It's just not true.

In fact, it's not even close. The fact is, only 17 percent of guns found at Mexican crime scenes have been traced to the U.S.

What's true, an ATF spokeswoman told FOXNews.com, in a clarification of the statistic used by her own agency's assistant director, "is that over 90 percent of the traced firearms originate from the U.S."

But a large percentage of the guns recovered in Mexico do not get sent back to the U.S. for tracing, because it is obvious from their markings that they do not come from the U.S.:rolleyes:

hoozaru
04-17-2009, 9:55 AM
Obama didn't forget to bow to the President of Mexico too, did he???

DDT
04-17-2009, 9:57 AM
Obama didn't forget to bow to the President of Mexico, did he???

Unless you are lying down I believe that bowing is required to kiss another person's ***

U2BassAce
04-17-2009, 10:01 AM
Yeah the beat goes on.....another American President kissing Mexico's arse!:notworthy:

7x57
04-17-2009, 11:04 AM
Actually, the quid pro quo may be the reverse. I suspect Calderon knows a US AW ban will do no good, but he can earn favors with Obama by pushing an issue that Obama could be punished for pushing. Plus, he badly needs to place all the blame he can somewhere besides himself and Mexico, and the Administration will give credibility to the scapegoating.

7x57

MikeinnLA
04-17-2009, 11:15 AM
Am I just stupid, or would not SEALING the freakin' border in both directions solve both the arms smuggling, drug and immigration problems? Of course, the Dems would lose alot of voters and big business would lose their slave labor, but I'm just sayin'......

Mike

Hopi
04-17-2009, 11:17 AM
Am I just stupid, or would not SEALING the freakin' border in both directions solve both the arms smuggling, drug and immigration problems? Of course, the Dems would lose alot of voters and big business would lose their slave labor, but I'm just sayin'......

Mike

Sealing maximum security prisons does not prevent drugs from entering those tiny confines. It just makes the drugs more expensive, and the reward for success that much higher.

Mazilla
04-17-2009, 11:21 AM
Obamas right, he can stop the flow of weapons into Mexico...as soon as he stops selling the guns to them.

yellowfin
04-17-2009, 11:59 AM
Actually, the quid pro quo may be the reverse. I suspect Calderon knows a US AW ban will do no good, but he can earn favors with Obama by pushing an issue that Obama could be punished for pushing. Plus, he badly needs to place all the blame he can somewhere besides himself and Mexico, and the Administration will give credibility to the scapegoating.

7x57 Precisely my thoughts. Something that perhaps would be a good counter to this is for any pro 2A Hispanic folks we have to publicly speak out against this tactic. It's widely known that Cuban Americans have absolutely zero love for Castro and speak together loudly against him, so could our citizens here of Mexican descent do the same?

SKSer
04-17-2009, 12:20 PM
Speaking of the Fox news article about the "90 percent myth", thank the lord that there is actually a news agency still around that actually reports the news un-biasedly. Why doesnt the president of Mexico look at his s**t box he calls country before he tries to have any input on ours and our laws.

2009_gunner
04-17-2009, 12:39 PM
The 90% stat is complete BS!!!!!:censored::nono:

The left out a key word.

The real number is 17%

Really, it wouldn't matter if the true number was 150% of Mexican arms came illegally from the US. It's their problem, not ours. I could really care less what problems their government has or who is responsible for them.

It doesn't change our laws and I doubt our 5 on the SCOTUS would care.

I don't think we should get into arguing the number. It is leading us into an argument that we should not even acknowledge. We have a border that needs to be closed. *That* is the issue at hand, and that is the issue Obama/Hillary are trying to ignore.

DDT
04-17-2009, 12:43 PM
Clearly we should handle this like they handle the problem of drugs coming from Mexico to the U.S. We should set up a task force of corrupt officials who will actually assist illegal gun runners and then ask Mexico for millions of dollars to support the "effort."

Untamed1972
04-17-2009, 12:55 PM
Clearly we should handle this like they handle the problem of drugs coming from Mexico to the U.S. We should set up a task force of corrupt officials who will actually assist illegal gun runners and then ask Mexico for millions of dollars to support the "effort."

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

MP301
04-17-2009, 1:08 PM
http://www.iansa.org/un/index.htm
http://www.iansa.org/images/front-page/un-gun-sculpture-IANSA.jpg
Outside the UN Secretariat in New York Laura Cheeseman

HEY! That looks like a Colt Python! Did they get permission from colt to use that image? Somebody needs to swing by there after work and cut the knotted barrel part off of it so that its properly pointing an unaltered Python at their building.... Maybe even load it! Stupid people..

hollabillz
04-17-2009, 1:50 PM
he's black tho... which is pretty kewl

lioneaglegriffin
04-17-2009, 2:41 PM

What?!?

junker87
04-17-2009, 3:10 PM
Well, we have all those gun owners who voted for Teh One to thank for.

As the liberal gun haters said, "elections have consequences."

My family's hands are clean on this one, so don't blame us.

1859sharps
04-17-2009, 6:08 PM
lol. I knew all the recent news was BS.....Obama, so predictable.

should not be any surprises here.

The following should just be givens...

1. Obama and his administration are not friends of the 2nd
2. The current political realities are different today then 92-94. Making gun
control a hard sell.
3. Gun control is a risk/distraction they can't afford at this time
4. Statements that they won't pursue an AW at this time, mean just that,
"at this time". But there is always "tomorrow". So stay alert.
4. They will continue to try and find an opening to push gun control
5. They will continue to try and find public support for gun control
6. The NRA and people like those who hang out on CalGuns will try and stop
them.

1859sharps
04-17-2009, 6:19 PM

What does his skin color have to do with anything?

I had been thinking we had made great progress in not obsessing about skin color until this last election. silly me, what was I thinking...

"OMG he is black"
"OMG he isn't black enough"

a big ol' WTF????

I don't vote for my representatives because of the color of their skin, but based on what they stand for. And before you think that is just a convenient cover, Bill Clinton is white. I didn't vote for Bill twice. I have a lot of the same objections for Obama that I had for Bill. Their stance on Gun Control being the top of the list.

andrewj
04-17-2009, 6:27 PM
Mexican officials have said in recent days that they would like to see the ban reinstated

Fix your own damn country!

KWA-S
04-18-2009, 1:49 AM
Here we go...prices going even higher than they already are.

gcvt
04-18-2009, 2:32 AM
Fix your own damn country!

Why??...if you can blame everything on another country and save yourself the trouble and cost?

Whenever possible - deny, deny, deny....counter-accuse!