PDA

View Full Version : AK or M1A

chefdude
04-17-2009, 1:29 AM
Ok guys with the current political climate...what would you rather have? an AK-47 or a Springfield M1A standard model??? I am torn, my head tells me duh the M1a but then there is the whole AW BAN on the horizon...I dont know, kind of a lame question.......:confused: and a possible :fud: question...

E Pluribus Unum
04-17-2009, 1:33 AM
Ok guys with the current political climate...what would you rather have? an AK-47 or a Springfield M1A standard model??? I am torn, my head tells me duh the M1a but then there is the whole AW BAN on the horizon...I dont know, kind of a lame question.......:confused: and a possible :fud: question...

They are two different weapons.

The AK is much cheaper, but less accurate.

The M1A has easier ammo to find.

I suggest you buy both. If you have the funds, buy the M1A; you will LOVE that rifle and you may not always have the disposable income to do so. Then buy the AK later as it is cheaper.

swerv512
04-17-2009, 4:16 AM
what ^ said...

mls343
04-17-2009, 6:01 AM
M1A first and AK second as buying both makes sense given your explanation.

The M1A, in my opinion, would be the only rifle I would have if I can only have one rifle. You can hunt, plink, and use as a SHTF weapon as it does all accurately and reliably. Ammo is everywhere and no one has ever complained that a 7.62X51 lacks stopping power - in a survial or tactical situation.

Good thing there is no such rule!

Tony.
04-17-2009, 6:47 AM
What upcoming ban?

Darklyte27
04-17-2009, 7:01 AM
M1A is really hard to find right now, I was waiting for a FFL to send their FFL to Buds so i could get a rifle, but they were slow and it was too late, my rifle was out of stock right after obama.

ever since, i cant find the model i want anymore.
I just ordered a AK from henderson defense, 530$
vs the M1A which was close to 1500$

Sicarius
04-17-2009, 7:03 AM
I would opt for the M1a first and get an ak/saiga later down the road if you have the cash. If you are worried about the configuration portion I wouldn't consider an ak but get a saiga instead. Saiga is going to be a much better gun for the same price as any of the lower end ak's in its price range anyways. Back to the M1a though. Ammo is nato spec so finding it will be better in the long run and not depending on imported milsurp. The gun will definately outrange and be way more accurate than an ak. Reliability is very good on both with a slight edge on the ak IMO. Mags are plentiful for both. Cost is the big difference being a Saiga should set you back 500-600ish and an M1a standard 1500(I personally would suggest getting the loaded model for a couple hundred more). the extra 1k or so can buy a lot of ammo to stock up on. 308 is about 50 cents a shot so keep that in mind.
Kevin

Futurecollector
04-17-2009, 7:05 AM
What upcoming ban?

The one in 2 weeks! dug where have you been :43:

sd1023x
04-17-2009, 7:11 AM
The AW ban? Thats hype, Obama has his hands full with economy and if people read the articles concerning the AW ban, it seems obama isn't willing to spend the political capital to fight to reinstate the AW ban. No one cares about guns right now! Its the economy stupid! http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2009/04/president-ob-17.html

-M1A is kinda big for urban and if its gonna be your one and okay, I'd say AK-47 is more versatile because of size and price. for the price of outfitting one guy with m1a, you could probably get 2-3 outfitted with AK's (thats ammo included)

-The deal breaker! .308 is over 2x the price of AK ammo (7.62x39)! Its a difference easily over $200 per 1000 round case. And I don't think there is any debate about the stopping power of 7.62x39 its a pretty well proven round if mikhail kalashnikov resisted the Soviets Army's change from 7.62 to 5.45. If you want to shoot alot, go AK

oldschool88
04-17-2009, 7:21 AM
They are both great weapons and in all honesty I would reccomend trying both before making a decision. I have both but in a SHTF situation I wouldn't be able to choose, so I'd take both. They both have a different feel that may suit you better or worse. Don't worry about a ban, if it comes it would be better to have the gun you really like either way. Ammo for the AK is cheap and everywhere, and the AK will shoot anything you put in it. Im not sure where people are finding so much 7.62 NATO, I'm having trouble right now. If anyone wants to let me know I would appreciate it.

spareparts
04-17-2009, 7:50 AM
I will say it depends on your needs and situation.

If you are a once or twice a year plinker/shooter and don't reload then go with the AK. If you enjoy shooting regularly and are looking for tight groups go with the M1A.

If you're worried about SHTF go with the AK. It's lighter, you can carry more ammo, and reliable. The difference in cost would allow you to put away a bit more ammo and mag rebuild kits. The M1A is a bit heavier, you can't carry as much ammo, and I find the recoil to be sufficient that follow up shots are a little slower than with my AK.

Were you to consider hunting applications then go with the M1A.

As far as maintenence goes the M1A needs much more attention to the way you clean it and lube it. You'll need a muzzle adapter/bore guide for cleaning and it takes grease rather than a couple of drops of gun oil. I can fieldstrip my AK blind folded, but not so with my M1A, it is more attention to detail oriented, more parts, more areas to clean.

But...it is so satisfying to hit the 500 yard gong every time, in wind, rain or shine, with open sights (and eyes that don't work as good as they used to)...AK won't do that in its wettest dream.

It's a tough choice. But since I already have both I recommend that you get both. They each have their merits.

thefurball
04-17-2009, 9:42 AM
Buy the M1A now and an AK later if you still want one.

Darklyte27
04-17-2009, 10:01 AM
i found it easier to find a ak than a m1a

CaliGunOwner
04-17-2009, 10:29 AM
A ban is on the agenda -- this new admin is just starting, they have at least 4 years to screw that pooch!
As for M1A or AK -- I recently saw video re: top 10 combat rifles & the AK came in #1 & the M1A/M14 came in at 10 -- primarily b/c the AK is in current use & in ALOT of hands while the M1A is in semi retirement. That said, I prefer the M1a.

Jason762
04-17-2009, 11:51 AM
-M1A is kinda big for urban and if its gonna be your one and okay, I'd say AK-47 is more versatile because of size and price. for the price of outfitting one guy with m1a, you could probably get 2-3 outfitted with AK's (thats ammo included)

-The deal breaker! .308 is over 2x the price of AK ammo (7.62x39)! Its a difference easily over $200 per 1000 round case. And I don't think there is any debate about the stopping power of 7.62x39 its a pretty well proven round if mikhail kalashnikov resisted the Soviets Army's change from 7.62 to 5.45. If you want to shoot alot, go AK

They are both great weapons and in all honesty I would reccomend trying both before making a decision.

Ammo for the AK is cheap and everywhere, and the AK will shoot anything you put in it.

I will say it depends on your needs and situation.

i found it easier to find a ak than a m1a

Very good points here.

As one said, depends on your situation. If you want something to have just to "beat the ban", rarely shoot (or maybe shoot precisely - e.g. in competitions) and show your buddies how you were smart and bought a soon-to-be-illegal gun, buy an M1A.

If you think you'll be grabbing a firearm in a disaster situation, or doing a lot of recreational shooting (cans, watermelons, and the like), grab the AK-series (a -47 or -74)

Honestly I'd get the AK-series. If, IF a ban were to happen, the AK will stand the test of time. Plus there's a lot of them out there (should you need a spare part or something). Ammo is cheaper than anything out there, mags are easier and slightly cheaper to find, and the AK is universally recognized. It is equally feared and respected. If you're in a Katrina-situation and you're walking around or standing watch with a Golden-Boy Henry lever action, looking like "whitey trying to be a cowboy" you're likely to be laughed at/not taken seriously. An AK would be taken more seriously.

However, I still wouldn't want to go up against someone who I knew was an EOT (http://sassnet.com/EoT/home.php) competitor.

OldSchool, check out this link (http://rifle-company.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=431). Not only does it say who has what in stock, but it has the price per round (before shipping). It is updated weekly.

reidnez
04-17-2009, 11:58 AM
A ban is on the agenda -- this new admin is just starting, they have at least 4 years to screw that pooch!
As for M1A or AK -- I recently saw video re: top 10 combat rifles & the AK came in #1 & the M1A/M14 came in at 10 -- primarily b/c the AK is in current use & in ALOT of hands while the M1A is in semi retirement. That said, I prefer the M1a.

I personally doubt that any new federal bans are in the works, at least not in the near future. Obama would expend a lot of political capital and alienate a lot of people if he did such a thing. In fact, a lot of Dems in congress are urging him not to touch this issue. Most of the "anti's" he would please, are left-leaning and already support him. The NRA is a powerful lobby which has the ability to seriously put the hurt on its foes, and there is no comparable organization on the other side.

cmace22
04-17-2009, 12:13 PM
M1A is a good rifle but its heavy, hard to mount optics on, ammo cost a S ton of money and mags cost about 50 dollars a piece for 20rd. You cant carry that much ammo in a SHTF situation.

An AK is light, handy, depending on model easy to mount optics on, ammo is cheep compared to 7.62x51, mags are around 15-20 for 30rd. You can carry more ammo in a SHTF situation. An you all have heard of the AK reliability.

I for one think you should have an AK first. If for the only one reason, the M1A wasnt on the ban list and the AK was/is.

Lighter
cheaper
cheaper ammo
more reliable
higher mag cap
cheaper mags
good round

socomIInato
04-17-2009, 1:13 PM
between the 2 i would say ak for urban enviroment 200 meters and in., m1a for overall distances from short to long range. my 2c:gunsmilie:

IsaacGlass
04-17-2009, 1:23 PM
Get the M1A!

http://www.impactguns.com/store/media/springfield/spg_16357.jpg

socomIInato
04-17-2009, 1:31 PM
Get the M1A!

http://www.impactguns.com/store/media/springfield/spg_16357.jpg

that rifle looks like my socomII brother:D

Wyseguy
04-17-2009, 1:34 PM
I have four AK's and no M1A's. I love my AK's and they are fun to shoot. That being said, I would give up two of my AK's for a good M1A!

Palindari
04-17-2009, 1:39 PM
M1A is a quality rifle with a very powerful round and in a SHTF situation, I think you're more apt to find plenty more 7.62mm laying about ;)

Josh3239
04-17-2009, 3:11 PM
Definetly an M1A

odysseus
04-17-2009, 3:13 PM
I would say that if you have to pick between the two, try shooting them.

I will add that once you have had a little time with the m1a/m14 semi, the smile on your face will have you looking at your checking account balance for a green light.

M1A Rifleman
04-17-2009, 8:13 PM
I'm biased as to which one I'd recommend you own, however, if your basing your purchase in terms of guessing what would be banned then forget it. The dill holes will try to ban everything so it does not matter.

ghost
04-17-2009, 9:45 PM
m1a/m14:thumbsup:

IsaacGlass
04-17-2009, 11:00 PM
that rifle looks like my socomII brother:D

Springfield M1A SOCOM GEN2 :patriot:

Awesome Rifle

ivanimal
04-17-2009, 11:15 PM
M1A's never let me down. AK's just run. Buy both.

B Strong
04-18-2009, 6:33 AM
I'm biased, get the M1A.

AK's are affordable, the ammo is cheap, parts for it are cheaper.

The M1A/14 is one of the best rifles we've ever put out, you can get a shorter version, you can run it without features and use your pre-2000 highcaps (without a silly fin on) You can tune it into a fine target rifle.

motorhead
04-18-2009, 8:10 AM
the m1a of course. i'm already tripping over aks. not that i don't love aks but i've got a bunch and no m1a's.

Darklyte27
04-18-2009, 10:07 AM
M1A is awesome, but so is the AK, let me know if you find any M1A's in stock anywhere!!

ap3572001
04-18-2009, 11:07 AM
M1A can be used with hi caps and no bullet button. ( So can a mini 14) Thats a BIG plus should You ever have to use it as a weapon. Lets face it: M1A's and mini's DO have an upper hand in CA since they can be used in its original configuration with "normal" magazines.

BunMaster
04-18-2009, 11:24 AM
uh...u sure about that?

i was under the impression that hi caps were banned on all firearms, centerfire or rimfire.

the no bullet button thing applies to m1a's with no pistol grips.

Jason762
04-18-2009, 11:29 AM
uh...u sure about that?

i was under the impression that hi caps were banned on all firearms, centerfire or rimfire.

the no bullet button thing applies to m1a's with no pistol grips.

If you owned the mags before 01/01/00 you're ok to use them on a CA legal/compliant rifle.

Since there is no bullet button for the M1A, a pistol gripped M1A is illegal no matter what you do.

Fantasma
04-18-2009, 11:41 AM
M1A then an AK.

ap3572001
04-18-2009, 12:14 PM
M1A, Mini's and for that matter SL7's and SL'6 can be had in the "useful" configuration. AK's and AR's can not.

jasonnorcal
04-18-2009, 1:57 PM
I want an M1a so bad I can taste it. 1 thing I found out is that the M1a is for right handed shooters only. Don't know why but that's what it says on the springfield website. Remember it's not which rifle ur going get, it's which 1 ur gonna get first.

God Bless The Mauser
04-18-2009, 1:58 PM
For SHTF a 5.56 AK is best, 5.56 ammo is easier to find and like an AK74 it would be more accurate than a typical 7.62x39 AK. Im thinking about picking up a 5.56 Saiga since all my AKs are 7.62x39 which is still a good round just harder to find, especially if there is no stable supply of ammo like SHTF. I still want an M1a but that's just too expensive and hard to find right now, I have an M1 Garand so that will do.

Requiem
04-18-2009, 2:09 PM
If you owned the mags before 01/01/00 you're ok to use them on a CA legal/compliant rifle.

Since there is no bullet button for the M1A, a pistol gripped M1A is illegal no matter what you do.

Unless the magazine is locked in place with a small piece of hacksaw blade in between the main trigger housing and the mag release tab. (what Im doing)

luchador768
04-18-2009, 2:25 PM
M1a Scout!:thumbsup: I got mine for a good price when they first came out. I am not the best at keeping guns clean, and the M1a has kept ticking even when filthy dirty. The ammo is expensive, but it is not a "500+ rounds a weekend rifle" like the AK. Get the M1a, stock pile a few thousand rounds and call it done. Get an AK for blasting through cases of ammo.

cryptkeeper
04-18-2009, 2:27 PM
I'd imagine the M1A would raise less eyebrows at the range.

Jason762
04-18-2009, 3:59 PM
I want an M1a so bad I can taste it. 1 thing I found out is that the M1a is for right handed shooters only. Don't know why but that's what it says on the springfield website. Remember it's not which rifle ur going get, it's which 1 ur gonna get first.

Right handed only? I doubt that. I'm also a southpaw, and the M1A is very similar to the M1 Garand which I own and shoot/operate with excellence. I do not fumble when under minor stress of a rapid fire sitting/prone or a just-for-fun mad minute closing event.

Trust me you can shoot a "right handed only" M1A. Unless it is the stock that's RH-only.

Unless the magazine is locked in place with a small piece of hacksaw blade in between the main trigger housing and the mag release tab. (what Im doing)

Sorry but I'm having trouble visualizing that. Plus that sounds sketchy. Does it require a tool in order to drop the magazine?

braaahp
04-18-2009, 4:15 PM
ill take my m1socom over an ak any day. and i am a lefty:18: