PDA

View Full Version : Tortoise Hunt

pbwhite
04-16-2009, 11:22 PM
First off i am not on of those evil people that would go kill a baby Tortoise.. everyone knows the more mature ones taste better..:43: but seriosly
what is a tortoise hunt? i will tell you it is just a silly name given to getting out in the woods with a pack and a gun and getting back to the basics... man is a hunter, fact.. but living in todays world for some of us the most hunting we do is scanning this forum for good deals on guns. so if you had to plan a hunt a "tortoise hunt" where would you go what would you bring screw all the tactical BS nuts and bolts simple survival and before you say it "NO" survival techniques would not include a ar15 with 1000000000 rounds there is no "Zombies" chasing you.. you can kill a quail alot easier with a .410 than you can a 5.56 so give me your suggestions think about it plan and execute your "TORTOISE HUNT" and seriously dont kill the tortoise :thumbsup:

xxdabroxx
04-17-2009, 10:36 AM
What are you talking about???? :scratcheshead: :shrug: Like a survival adventure kinda deal?

Desert_Rat
04-17-2009, 7:29 PM
First off i am not on of those evil people that would go kill a baby Tortoise.. everyone knows the more mature ones taste better..:43: but seriosly
what is a tortoise hunt? i will tell you it is just a silly name given to getting out in the woods with a pack and a gun and getting back to the basics... man is a hunter, fact.. but living in todays world for some of us the most hunting we do is scanning this forum for good deals on guns. so if you had to plan a hunt a "tortoise hunt" where would you go what would you bring screw all the tactical BS nuts and bolts simple survival and before you say it "NO" survival techniques would not include a ar15 with 1000000000 rounds there is no "Zombies" chasing you.. you can kill a quail alot easier with a .410 than you can a 5.56 so give me your suggestions think about it plan and execute your "TORTOISE HUNT" and seriously dont kill the tortoise :thumbsup:

I'd go out to the golden trout wilderness.and surrounding area.(I know the area pretty well from hiking alot of it in High school)
As for gear it ranges......Pack w/goodies,fishing gear,K-Bar,kukri,tarp,hygiene gear,canteens,h2o filter,good hiking boots,clothing,for all weather(snivel gear),among other food items and comfort items.As for guns glock maybe 870 20ga youth model (due to size)with a vast assortment of ammo types bird shot.slugs,00 buck for fun.AR=doubtful.
I have spent 5 days out there many times before,w/o any Zombie killing machines
the list could go on but you see where it goes.

pbwhite
04-18-2009, 7:30 AM
cool you understand what i meant personally... i was thinking a day pack w/ dry socks i hate wet feet, a compass w/map of local area, 1-2 field strip MRE just in case i cant catch or kill my meals, magnesium block for fire starting, poncho liner (issued) or summer weight sleeping bag, first aid kit, put all that into camel back mother lode bag so now i have everything including water. if i have to i can drink natural water but i will bring purifier (the water in thailand didnt kill me so i have high confidence) as for as guns i will go with my old and tested... my dads 30/30 marlin.. he was appauled that i was willing to buy a new one so he gave me his $75 dollar one he bought when he was a kid..also i have heard of some guys doing some custom loads for the 30/30 like bird shot for a 22 i will have to do some more research.. side arm my Ruger 9mm why ruger well i just like it.

Desert_Rat
04-18-2009, 10:40 AM
i have heard of some guys doing some custom loads for the 30/30 like bird shot for a 22 i will have to do some more research.. side arm my Ruger 9mm why ruger well i just like it.

IIRC I believe I saw some of the little capsules to make shotshells for a .30 cal type cartridge some where on line.

wcnones
04-18-2009, 10:59 AM
I spent two weeks in Theodore Roosevelt National Park, and have always remembered that time fondly. I like spaghetti-western landscape. I'm looking at Northern Nevada for my tortoise hunt.

I've only got two firearms remaining from my gang, my newly finished AR and my almost fully-polished Taurus Tracker 6" in .17hmr. I suppose I'd take both, and use the Tracker as the grocery getter.

I've got my alice pack from the corps days, and an old Camelback from 1998...dunno if the Camelback will even be safe to drink out of anymore, it's been in storage for over 10 years.

Here's a pic of the family before siblings were lost:

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc74/brandjury/group1.jpg

cgseanp1
04-18-2009, 11:15 AM
IIRC I believe I saw some of the little capsules to make shotshells for a .30 cal type cartridge some where on line.

Use these for bird hunting:)
http://www.northwestshootersupply.com/cci9mmshotshells10rds.aspx

pbwhite
04-18-2009, 11:35 AM
nice those shot shells could reduce my load to just a 9mm

trinydex
04-22-2009, 10:05 AM
cool you understand what i meant personally... i was thinking a day pack w/ dry socks i hate wet feet, a compass w/map of local area, 1-2 field strip MRE just in case i cant catch or kill my meals, magnesium block for fire starting, poncho liner (issued) or summer weight sleeping bag, first aid kit, put all that into camel back mother lode bag so now i have everything including water. if i have to i can drink natural water but i will bring purifier (the water in thailand didnt kill me so i have high confidence) as for as guns i will go with my old and tested... my dads 30/30 marlin.. he was appauled that i was willing to buy a new one so he gave me his $75 dollar one he bought when he was a kid..also i have heard of some guys doing some custom loads for the 30/30 like bird shot for a 22 i will have to do some more research.. side arm my Ruger 9mm why ruger well i just like it.

where can you even do this stuff? certainly not in a park of any sort right?

i'd like to find a place where you can practice starting fires with the locally sourced fuel... but i'm ill informed on where one is allowed to do such things.

byteheed
04-23-2009, 11:44 AM
where can you even do this stuff? certainly not in a park of any sort right?

i'd like to find a place where you can practice starting fires with the locally sourced fuel... but i'm ill informed on where one is allowed to do such things.

You could do this in nearly any land operated by the National Forest service or Bureau of Land Management. You'd have to possess a valid hunting license, of course, and any game taken should be in season or have no seasonal restrictions (like bunnies and squirrels).

trinydex
04-23-2009, 12:26 PM
do you need a fire permit to build a fire or practice

byteheed
04-23-2009, 12:38 PM
do you need a fire permit to build a fire or practice

It really depends on the agency. BLM doesn't require a permit for fires, as far as I know. Some National Forests do. For instance, when I went backpacking in the Sierra Nat'l Forest, a fire permit was required for fires outside of campgrounds. The rangers asked me a few questions to make sure I knew how to NOT burn down the forest.