PDA

View Full Version : 3 Dead in California Hospital Shooting...

MSL209
04-17-2009, 12:13 AM
What is going on? My heart aches for the victims. Makes me REALLY want a CCW!

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20090416/Hospital.Shooting/

LONG BEACH, Calif. A hospital worker shot and killed two employees and then killed himself at a medical center Thursday, sending panicked people fleeing, police and witnesses said.

The gunman was identified as Mario Ramirez, 50, of Alhambra, who died of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound, police said. The victims were Hugo Bustamante, 46, of Cypress, who died at the scene, and Kelly Hales, 56, of Redondo Beach, who was taken to the hospital's emergency room in critical condition and died several hours later.

Police Chief Anthony Batts said the gunfire erupted just before noon at Long Beach Memorial Medical Center. He said the motive remained under investigation but noted the violence came amid a flurry of recent shootings in the country.

"This is a trend of active shooters that you have seen nationwide," Batts said at a news conference. "This is becoming a national trend, probably because of the tension that's going on in our society today."

Hospital spokeswoman Stacie Crompton-Hime said all three men worked in an outpatient pharmacy where Bustamante was the manager and Hales was the executive director. Asked if the shooting stemmed from a dispute or possible layoffs at the hospital, Crompton-Hime said there were layoffs last month but no other reductions were planned.

At Ramirez's home in Alhambra, his wife, Lydia, told her two sons the news about their father late Thursday, said her sister, Eva Reyes, who had come to comfort her. She declined to give more details about Ramirez or the family.

Later, Ramirez's oldest son, Aaron, 14, sat on the front steps in the dark and hid his tears in the hood of a green sweatshirt.

He asked a TV cameraman what happened to his dad. The teen said his mother told him that his father had died, but he didn't know the details.

The boy said he came outside because he couldn't stand to see his mother and younger brother crying.

Neighbor Gina Marquez, 41, described Ramirez as a family man who was quiet and polite. He would often go jogging with his wife, she said.

"You never heard a peep from that house. It's unreal," Marquez said. "I can't imagine what state of mind he would have been in to do something like that."

Batts said officers responding to the shooting found one victim inside the hospital and then discovered a second victim outside, on the north side of the hospital outside the emergency room. Ramirez was found dead outside on the north side.

A message left at Bustamante's home was not immediately returned Thursday night. Hales' daughter, reached at the family's home, declined to comment.

Diana Hendel, the hospital's chief executive officer, said the victims' families were receiving counseling through the hospital's chaplain service.

"Our first priority was to ensure that our patients were safe and well cared for and I can assure that our patients are well cared for and are completely safe," she said.

Carmen Ortiz, 47, a hospital housekeeper, said she was outside for her break when she heard a gunshot and saw people running away from the building. She said her manager rushed out and told her to get inside.

"Then there was another shot, but I was inside," Ortiz said. "I was very frightened."

Hospital worker Edward Collins trembled as he recounted coming upon the violence.

"When I got off the elevator, I heard screams," Collins said. An upset friend told him she had just seen someone she knew shoot someone. Collins then saw the shooter holding what appeared to be a black handgun.

"He was standing over the guy he shot," he said.

Collins said the gunman eventually pointed the gun at his own head and pulled the trigger.

Melo Dotski, a radiology department clerk, said she had known the shooter by his first name for about two years. She said she used to help him with transactions when she worked as a teller at a bank at the medical center.

"He made all kinds of jokes, he was a funny man," Dotski said. "He was smiling, laughing, making sure everybody was doing OK."

Laura Harris told KCAL she saw the shooter walk up, pull a gun and shoot a hospital employee in the leg.

"Then the young man fell and then he stood over him and shot a couple more times. Then he (the shooter) put the gun up under his chin," and shot himself, she said.

A youth, Justin Hawkins, said doctors got people into rooms during the shooting before police arrived.

"The doctors did the best job possible," he told KCAL. "They made us feel safe, they got us in the rooms as fast as possible, making sure nobody was in the hallways, making sure everyone was fine. And then the cops showed up really fast."

Crompton-Hime said the hospital has 24-hour security and "there were no signs or indications that anything like this could have happened."

"I don't believe that there was anything different we could have done," she said.

The approximately 460-bed hospital is one of six health care facilities in Southern California operated by the not-for-profit MemorialCare system, run by Memorial Health Services.

Long Beach is about 25 miles south of downtown Los Angeles.

gvazquez
04-17-2009, 12:37 AM
what the fluke is going on with all these damn shootings?!:confused:

CnCFunFactory
04-17-2009, 12:43 AM
I've asked this before and I'll ask it once again, rhetorically. When is this insanity going to end? People killing one another for no good reason. This goes so far beyond "a gun" or the second amendment. There is something fundamentally wrong with our society that this is how persons choose to settle their grievances with the world. Just despicable! Another solid case for CCW's unfortunately because I think our point can be made without bloodshed and loss of innocent lives.

squishyhead
04-17-2009, 5:04 AM
There is no answer as to why. There's no socio-political enigma that needs to be solved, that once solved will prevent these tragedys from happening. The reality is that the world is filled with sick people, and some of those sick people are going to do things like this.

This shooting really freaks me out. My ambulance company covers Long Beach, and I can't count how many times I've sat in the ambulance bay right outside of that ER where all of this happened. I've gotten used to people saying I don't need a CCW because I live in a safe place, but it really becomes a mute point when one of these massacres happens somewhere I could've easily been at on any given day!

RRangel
04-17-2009, 5:23 AM
what the fluke is going on with all these damn shootings?!:confused:

Th fluke is whether it gets sensationalized by the media or not. Take a look at Long Beach's murder rate.

9mmlaw
04-17-2009, 7:29 AM
"Crompton-Hime said the hospital has 24-hour security and "there were no signs or indications that anything like this could have happened."

Security? You mean the 75 year old man walking around with a flashlight. Besides, what would security do even if armed, they need to be right there when it happens. We should not have to depend on others for our own security. Shall issue CCW is needed in this state NOW.

Pont
04-17-2009, 8:34 AM
It is completely unsurprising that crime goes up in an economic downturn. Even crimes of passion.

Money is the root of all evil^H^H^H^H stress.

Rule .308
04-17-2009, 9:09 AM
I got a text from one of my customers yesterday letting me know that if I saw something on the news about this that she was okay. She is a pharmacist that works in that department, as it turns 10 minutes after she left for her doctors appointment the shooting errupted. Makes you wonder if she was just lucky or if the shooter had been waiting for her to leave as she was not on his hit list. Seeing as how she is an absolute sweetheart I would have to go with the latter, but you just don't know. I have to agree with everyone else though, WTF is going on!!

geeknow
04-17-2009, 9:16 AM
Sad, sad news for all.

unfortunately, I think that we are going to see more and more of this kind of "last desparate act" from people that simply cant take the pressure.

Sad.

RIP.

grahlaika
04-17-2009, 9:45 AM
There is no answer as to why. There's no socio-political enigma that needs to be solved, that once solved will prevent these tragedys from happening. The reality is that the world is filled with sick people, and some of those sick people are going to do things like this.

I disagree. There's no SIMPLE answer as to why, but there's plenty of answers out there for this sort of behavior, and with those answers come potential solutions. Part of the unfortunate dichotomy of our culture is that we raise people to be individuals and to make decisions on their own, but we don't give them the tools to deal with those decisions, or how to deal with other people telling them what to do. We're a culture of many, many conflicts and diametrically opposed points of view. Most people deal with it as a fact of life, but it causes confusion in some, frustration in others, and downright madness in a few.

It's fair to ask if there are higher percentages of deviant or 'sick' behavior in our culture than in other cultures, and to find out what those differences are. I don't have the stats, but I'd guess even in other Western-based cultures the behavior of people is different than in ours. Maybe we're too focused on punishment, and not enough on prevention. We tend to roll our eyes when someone brings up the 'blame society' moniker, but the fact is that society DOES have a role in shaping the behavior of individuals, and thus their decisions and actions. The more we ignore the fact that we're a very dis-functional family, the more these events will continue to happen, and will provide fodder to the anti-gun crowd to take away our rights.

squishyhead
04-17-2009, 12:10 PM
I disagree. There's no SIMPLE answer as to why, but there's plenty of answers out there for this sort of behavior, and with those answers come potential solutions. Part of the unfortunate dichotomy of our culture is that we raise people to be individuals and to make decisions on their own, but we don't give them the tools to deal with those decisions, or how to deal with other people telling them what to do. We're a culture of many, many conflicts and diametrically opposed points of view. Most people deal with it as a fact of life, but it causes confusion in some, frustration in others, and downright madness in a few.

It's fair to ask if there are higher percentages of deviant or 'sick' behavior in our culture than in other cultures, and to find out what those differences are. I don't have the stats, but I'd guess even in other Western-based cultures the behavior of people is different than in ours. Maybe we're too focused on punishment, and not enough on prevention. We tend to roll our eyes when someone brings up the 'blame society' moniker, but the fact is that society DOES have a role in shaping the behavior of individuals, and thus their decisions and actions. The more we ignore the fact that we're a very dis-functional family, the more these events will continue to happen, and will provide fodder to the anti-gun crowd to take away our rights.

A society is composed of populations of humans, and there's the source of the problem. Humans are flawed by nature, and instinctivly directed toward "insane" acts. We may be evolved in many ways, but our minds maintain the most primitive traits manifesting everything from happiness to rage. The problem is that many lack the ability to interpret their instincts without acting on them. A society where everyone is raised equally and to a level that will prevent criminal behavior can only exist on paper. Though even if it could exist in reality, the criminal element would still exist. Anger management may have done a lot of good for some of these shooters, but there are some who legitametly have bad wiring and are innately driven toward hurting others. For that reason alone I agree that California should stop trying to create that paper society, start living in reality, and become a shall issue CCW state!

Adonlude
04-17-2009, 12:20 PM
Sounds like the guy offed his two workplace superiors. Office politics can be messy.

GTKrockeTT
04-17-2009, 12:25 PM
dupe, and wrong forum.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=174118&highlight=long+beach+memorial