PDA

View Full Version : Couple questions: SKS, Out of State Transfers, Saiga Rifles

heat
04-16-2009, 10:23 PM
My first post. I have lived out of the state for the last 10 years, so a lot has changed while I have been gone.

A few questions:
1. I understand that Yugo SKS with grenade launchers and SKS with fixed or detach 30 rd mags are illegal, but are standard 10rd fixed SKS's legal to own? What about the ones with bayonets?

2. Can a private individual from out of state send a CA legal rifle to an FFL holder in CA? This is perfectly legal in almost all states.

3. Are Saiga 308 rifles legal in CA if they don't have the pistol grip?

BTW
I am shocked by the number of out of state dealers who will not ship CA legal firearms to CA.

Thanks all!

Librarian
04-16-2009, 10:31 PM
My first post. I have lived out of the state for the last 10 years, so a lot has changed while I have been gone.

A few questions:
1. I understand that Yugo SKS with grenade launchers and SKS with fixed or detach 30 rd mags are illegal, but are standard 10rd fixed SKS's legal to own? What about the ones with bayonets?

2. Can a private individual from out of state send a CA legal rifle to an FFL holder in CA? This is perfectly legal in almost all states.

BTW
I am shocked by the number of out of state dealers who will not ship CA legal firearms to CA.

Thanks all!

1) yes; bayonets are OK.

2) yes, but it's a business decision by the FFL whether to accept a gun shipped by a private individual - call ahead and ask

3) possibly a bit more complicated than that, but probably a .308 Saiga is or can be made to be legal. See the Flowchart
http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

heat
04-17-2009, 7:28 AM
Thanks for the response. I had a dealer from out of state tell me he needed a CFLC number from the CA dealer (and FFL of course) before he could ship. What is this, and will an individual from out of state need one of thes to send to a dealer in CA?

singleshotman
04-17-2009, 7:37 AM
Yes you can have him ship it to your FFL, it's better that way because he doesn't need one of those CFCL's. Last month i had a Stevens shipped to my FFL from a man in NJ, no problems at all.The biggest trouble will be finding an FFL-I use Ade's Gun Shop in Santa Ana.He only charges $60 for a out of state
transfer-some charge $100 OR MORE.Good luck.

Librarian
04-17-2009, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the response. I had a dealer from out of state tell me he needed a CFLC number from the CA dealer (and FFL of course) before he could ship. What is this, and will an individual from out of state need one of thes to send to a dealer in CA?

I'll skip the editorializing and refer you to the DOJ web site for the CFLC (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/cflcoverview.php). It applies only to dealers, not individuals shipping to CA FFLs.

CFLC is not popular, either in or out of California! :mad:

kg6qs
04-17-2009, 12:09 PM
A few months ago I wanted a gun shipped from out of state. The out of state dealer did not want to ship to CA. I gave him the number of the CA DOJ. He called and, after discussion with DOJ personnel, shipped the gun.

My conversation with DOJ suggested that many out of state dealers either didn't read or didn't understand the requirements.

CA has among the most restrictive gun laws of any state. It still has a high homicide rate.

Many states with less restrictive gun laws have lower homicide rates.

There are many interesting statistics on the FBI website.

SKSer
04-17-2009, 1:15 PM

A few questions:

BTW

Thanks all!

In reference to the saiga question it depends on if its a russian american armory or an european american armory version. I cant remember which one is banned and which one isnt. Read Ca Aw ID flow chart very closely and become familiar with it. Also be preparred for much criticism, and pure ignorance of what rifles are legal here and which ones are not. Absolutely do not expect an FFL to automatically know the laws, many FFL's havnt got a clue. In example, in my local area, one gunstore says off list AR lowers are assault weapons and are illegal, but 20 miles to the north at another gun store, they sell them there. One gun store in my area wont even sell SKS's, i even told the guy "Big 5 two miles down the street has 3 up for sale right now". This website and its very knowledgeable members have the best info when it comes to the legality of firearms in California. The Ca AW ID flowchart is definately a must read if you own or want to own any "borderline guns" and want to be in compliance with the law. Welcome back to the "peoples democratic republic of Kalifornia" comrade.

Peragro
04-17-2009, 6:42 PM
I looked at the flowchart, appendix C, and it says "Kalishnikov USA: Hunters rifle / Saiga".

Am I correct in assuming that if your rifle does not say all of that above it's ok?

Most of the ones I've seen say "Made in Russia by Izhmash Russian American Armory Company Scottsburgh IN."

I assume those are the newer ones that aren't on appendix C (since they are AK variants)

SKSer
04-19-2009, 1:30 AM
you should be good with the Russian american armory i believe but a good place to contact would be Ten Percent Firearms out of Taft, 661-765-6899, they sell Saigas or did before everyone and there cousin bought them all, you can also send them a PM here on Calguns, there handle is tenpercentfirearms

bwiese
04-19-2009, 10:12 AM
Heat,

Answering your questions:

1. Standard SKS rifles with traditional 10rd fixed magazines are legal to possess & acquire in CA. Bayonets are irrelevant.

The Yugo Zastava M59 and M59/66 rifles (incorrectly/colloquially called "Yugo SKS") are CA legal if they do not have the grenade launcher, and can be imported to/possessed in/bought in CA without them (or with it welded over with a sleeve). Do NOT separately possess the Yugo grenade launcher device within CA.

These Yugo M59 rifles can also have detachable magazines in CA if 922(r) Federal "domestic compliance parts" are installed, but why wreck a good rifle with crap Tapco parts??

2. A private individual can send a CA legal rifle directly to a CA FFL. [Not all CA FFLs allow this and some require an originating FFL but that's their personal preference, and you can do business elsewhere.]

3. Many Saiga rifles are CA-legal, providing they're appropriately configured. In particular the Russian-American Arms Co ("RAAC") Saiga rifles with "normal rifle appearance are CA legal. DO NOT ACQUIRE/IMPORT A "Kalashnikov USA" Saiga rifle, as that particular rifle is banned on the Kasler list (11 CCR 5499).

Yes, quite a few outta state FFLs are too lazy to sign up for the very simple CFLC process. That just means more biz for the growing number of other friendly outta-state FFLs. Others have a "punish California" mindset, which is stupid because it really works to the Bradyites advantage and punishes gunnies, not the enemy.

Peragro
04-19-2009, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the info, Bill. Esp. #3. I was out shooting my .308 RAA Saiga the other day for the first time and I really like the gun. Not so sure what kind of groups it got but I do know that from about 100 yards with iron sights I could make a 6" rock into two 3" rocks and then a 3" rock into gravel. I think I'm going to get one of those Dragunov scopes and see if that'll make it even more fun...