PDA

View Full Version : SB 776: A Possible Response

hoffmang
04-16-2009, 9:56 PM
First, we should work very hard to make sure this bill doesn't pass.

However, if it should pass there is a very easy response.

Every single calgunner should mark his legally registered large capacity magazines with the exact same serial number.

I suggest FUCA1, thought I've thought about THANKSALISON1 or IRWINLOVESME1.

If we all mark and register our magazines with the exact same serial number, it will be impossible to prosecute anyone who has registered a single magazine with the agreed upon serial number on it. There would also be no uniqueness in your collection of magazines which means that you'd always have a registration for any large-capacity magazine in your collection. Note that you really wouldn't even have to have a large-capacity magazine in your collection to register a few with the right serial number...

I love how easy it is to hack dumb ideas...

-Gene

mblat
04-16-2009, 9:58 PM
Ouch..... If author of this bill ever get to read this - it MUST HURT :-)

Ducman
04-16-2009, 9:59 PM
I say Fack 'em :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

stormy_clothing
04-16-2009, 10:01 PM
what ever calgunner should do is send there tax money to another state and buy supertankers filled with rebuild kits and assemble them and register them. when theres 400 per person it will be hard to count, lol

BigDogatPlay
04-16-2009, 10:05 PM
Nice idea... if the state doesn't generate the registration numbers themselves and require you to engrave their number.

This would cost a lot of money that the state doesn't have to implement and manage. While it may get out of committee it's hard to see it getting passed on the floor in the current money crisis.

Which means I write at least five letters and make ten phone calls in opposition to each senator.....

JeffM
04-16-2009, 10:05 PM

-Gene

:rofl2:

Your one-liners kill me Gene. That's sig line material right there.

CCWFacts
04-16-2009, 11:09 PM
That's a good one. This bill is a rotten bill and we must fight it, but if it did pass, it would have the consequence of a lot of people registering a lot of new magazines. Not legal, but once it's registered, it's going to be hard to prosecute them for it.

Soldier415
04-17-2009, 12:12 AM
We are in the midst of a huge budget crisis...and THIS is what our elected officials are doing to cut costs?

The Afghan Government looks like a MENSA convention compared to CA's at this point

CnCFunFactory
04-17-2009, 12:20 AM
That is PURE GENIUS!

colossians323
04-17-2009, 4:04 AM
We are in the midst of a huge budget crisis...and THIS is what our elected officials are doing to cut costs?

The Afghan Government looks like a MENSA convention compared to CA's at this point

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

Wow, if only they listened to people in uniform.

Aegis
04-17-2009, 7:28 AM
Who is going to pay for this program? The state is essentially bankrupt, so they will probably stick it to the people to pay for this.

Stupid ideas like this lead to stupid laws that end up wasting money. Do these politicians realize they are not "enlightened" but are simply foolish.

Flintlock Tom
04-17-2009, 7:42 AM
Who is going to pay for this program? The state is essentially bankrupt, so they will probably stick it to the people to pay for this.

Stupid ideas like this lead to stupid laws that end up wasting money. Do these politicians realize they are not "enlightened" but are simply foolish.

Maybe the $20 registration fee?

And the bill states that magazines newly acquired after 2011 must be registered within 30 days. So does this mean we can bring in new High-cap mags now? Just pay 20 bucks?

rbetts
04-17-2009, 7:53 AM
In my opinion, this is an attempt by one or a few wannabe politicians looking to get some airtime and an "anti-gun" bill tacked on to their resume. I really think they sit around in their little social circle worry groups and scheme on ways to get their positions in politics elevated.

" I know, I can gain a few more votes from my constituents by being anti large capacity magazine" Those are used with that awful mean assault rifle!!:eek:. Yeah that's the ticket!!

DOH!

By the way, this is right out of the anti-gun text book.

Californio
04-17-2009, 7:54 AM
How many 100's of thousands of firearms magazines are there in California that have a capacity over 10 rounds? The cost to the government to try to serialize the bodies of all of them seems like an impossible task that could take years. It would take an entire new Bureau of Magazine Serializations to account for and serialize all of them. How do you create machines to stamp the different types of metals and plastics that these magazines are made of without damaging the magazines?

What about magazines for C&R firearms and the loss of economic value, M1 Carbine comes to mind.

Come on Nordyke this nonsense has to stop:confused:

wash
04-17-2009, 7:57 AM
We need to get the standard capacity magazine armored car/Ice cream truck going.

The time is now!

Californio
04-17-2009, 7:59 AM
Now that I think about it, what's to prevent someone from registering mags they don't even have to leave the door open for new ones in the future?

I thought of that also. Self-registration would create an opportunity to register magazines for firearms you don't even own but might in the future - what court could prove different.

Calguns2000
04-17-2009, 8:00 AM
I have a feeling they are planning to just print stickers with state generated serial numbers on them, and require you to fix them to your mags, CA won't really have an interest in doing anything else, since failure to have the sticker on your mag will result in a felony conviction, the perfect incentive to get people to turn in their "nuisance" mags and be done with it.

sgtlmj
04-17-2009, 8:01 AM
I'm new here, but is this law in response to the Oakland LE shootings where the perp likely used an SKS with a fixed 10-rd magazine? :nuts:

Californio
04-17-2009, 8:13 AM
I have a feeling they are planning to just print stickers with state generated serial numbers on them, and require you to fix them to your mags, CA won't really have an interest in doing anything else, since failure to have the sticker on your mag will result in a felony conviction, the perfect incentive to get people to turn in their "nuisance" mags and be done with it.

So everyone one with a legal 10/30 magazine is going to be hooked-up because they don't have a sticker on it and will have to go through the 10 round drill?

This idea has more holes than swiss cheese.

DRH
04-17-2009, 8:27 AM
Stickers? The most durable finished have trouble holding up to the chemicals used to clean, maintain and lubricate firearms. Are they going to replace these stickers every year? The acutal cost to properly put a program like this into place would be hundreds of millions of dollars and the state has no money and much greater priorities. The 2nd AW ban was so poorly enacted with regards to education and notification that countless honest citizens and law enforement officers became felons overnight. The potential for this happening again with this type of poorly thought out legislation is 5 times greater.

elenius
04-17-2009, 8:35 AM
Stickers, all the better. I have 200 magazines. Please send me my "import 200 magazines with impunity" stickers right away.

Yeah but that would cost you $4000 :eek:

Californio
04-17-2009, 8:40 AM

Only the rich would be able to register and own, clearly discrimination against the poor and low income earners to hold and keep their property.

Civil Rights violation all the way:D

bwiese
04-17-2009, 8:41 AM
I'm new here, but is this law in response to the Oakland LE shootings where the perp likely used an SKS with a fixed 10-rd magazine? :nuts:

Yes, but you're making the fundamental mistake of assuming politicians regularly deal with fact & reality.

Also, this is from Loni Hancock in Berkeley - "say no more".

Stan_Humphries
04-17-2009, 8:46 AM
The effect of SB 776 is to register people, not purportedly dangerous magazines. As Gene has pointed out, it would be realistically impossible to enforce the law on a magazine-by-magazine basis. All a law enforcement officer could do would be to see if the person was in fact registered to own such a magazine.

The records would just show something like:

Stan Humprhries: AR15 30 Rounds .223 (x30)
AK47 30 Rounds 7.62 (x10)
M1A 20 Rounds .308 (x10)

Really, all an officer could do would be to verify the type/style of magazine and whether I had more on me than I was allowed to.

Ultimately it's a back door way for California to generate a record of who owns what types of long-guns (handguns are already registered).

I'm not afraid of registration quite the way others are, but it is still an undesirable state action.

AKman
04-17-2009, 10:04 AM
They are going to love my boxes full of hicap mags, drums, belts and links.

Are they going to assign a serial number to each and every link that I own?

I see a visit from LE or a DHS terrorist listing in my future. The funny part is that most of the old hicap mags are so unreliable that I would never use them.

Tweak338
04-17-2009, 10:22 AM
They are going to love my boxes full of hicap mags, drums, belts and links.

Are they going to assign a serial number to each and every link that I own?

:rofl:
Seriously..

Calguns2000
04-17-2009, 10:25 AM
The effect of SB 776 is to register people, not purportedly dangerous magazines. As Gene has pointed out, it would be realistically impossible to enforce the law on a magazine-by-magazine basis. All a law enforcement officer could do would be to see if the person was in fact registered to own such a magazine.

The records would just show something like:

Stan Humprhries: AR15 30 Rounds .223 (x30)
AK47 30 Rounds 7.62 (x10)
M1A 20 Rounds .308 (x10)

Really, all an officer could do would be to verify the type/style of magazine and whether I had more on me than I was allowed to.

Ultimately it's a back door way for California to generate a record of who owns what types of long-guns (handguns are already registered).

I'm not afraid of registration quite the way others are, but it is still an undesirable state action.Actually, once they know what hi-caps you have, they will know where to come knocking when they ban them completely--remember, the argument for 2A protection of hicaps is signficantly more tenuous than the argument for 2A protection of so-called assault weapons.

Fate
04-17-2009, 10:49 AM
CA lawmakers had best be careful. Turn enough law abiding citizens into "felons overnight" and they might decide to accept that label and throw off ALL of the state's shackles on liberty.

wildhawker
04-17-2009, 11:34 AM

THIS is sig material. :thumbsup:

AlexDD
04-17-2009, 11:49 AM
"(4) Commencing January 1, 2011, all cities, counties and cities,
counties, and entities of the state that own large-capacity
magazines shall register them with the Department of Justice as
institutionally owned large-capacity magazines."

What about all the Law Enforcement Agencies? Now, CHP is going to have to put DOJ stickers/tags on all their magazines? LAPD? And all the other countless law enforcement agencies...

That is going to waste time and money that could be spent elsewhere. Just imagine then the nightmare of assigning/tracking who has what magazines with an agency. How about the loss/damage rate?

Also, all the LEO's that can legally purchase hi cap for their own personal use are going to have to register and pay the fee.

KCM222
04-17-2009, 1:08 PM
CA lawmakers had best be careful. Turn enough law abiding citizens into "felons overnight" and they might decide to accept that label and throw off ALL of the state's shackles on liberty.

^This.

I've been getting my co-workers interested in firearms and half of them (most of whom do not own a gun) responded very similarly as the above.

I'd like to hope that this won't go anywhere if people who don't even own firearms are irked by this, but I won't hold my breath.

domokun
04-17-2009, 6:34 PM
First, we should work very hard to make sure this bill doesn't pass.

However, if it should pass there is a very easy response.

Every single calgunner should mark his legally registered large capacity magazines with the exact same serial number.

I suggest FUCA1, thought I've thought about THANKSALISON1 or IRWINLOVESME1.

If we all mark and register our magazines with the exact same serial number, it will be impossible to prosecute anyone who has registered a single magazine with the agreed upon serial number on it. There would also be no uniqueness in your collection of magazines which means that you'd always have a registration for any large-capacity magazine in your collection. Note that you really wouldn't even have to have a large-capacity magazine in your collection to register a few with the right serial number...

-Gene

It's easy to hack unless they're going to issue a unique individual serial number for each magazine upon registration and make us pay to get each one serialized. :TFH:

swift
04-17-2009, 7:00 PM

Did I misread it? I thought it was $20 to register your magazines, not $20 to register each magazine.

Soldier415
04-18-2009, 5:04 AM
THIS is sig material. :thumbsup:
LOL. lets see who claims it

KylaGWolf
04-18-2009, 5:17 PM
Or how about this one for a reg number: FUBARCAGUNLAWS1

anthonyca
04-18-2009, 5:31 PM

Perfect example of why I get upset when people say "with the bad economy they have more important things to worry about". When was the NFA passed? 1934 Hmmmmm.

Anti's will never rest and neither can we.

Aegis
04-18-2009, 7:49 PM
Maybe we can label magazines with the number 1 which equals the IQ of the author of this bill. :thumbsup:

383green
04-18-2009, 7:55 PM
Gene, let me take your idea and run with it. Besides all having the same serial number, we could also deluge them with paperwork:

I humbly suggest that if SB 776 passes, each Calgunner should promptly register each of their 25,000 metal links.

Or more for especially ambitious people. One can only hope that the $20 fee will be per application, not per magazine, and that said application would helpfully ask for the applicant to "use an additional sheet of paper if required". Or in our case, an additional ream of paper.

If an individual will not be allowed to use the same serial number on multiple magazines, that's no problem; they would just number them all in the FUCAn series, i.e. FUCA1 through FUCA25000.

Let's see how the DOJ likes it when hundreds of applications show up, each in a Priority Mail flat-rate box. Perhaps the Post Office would helpfully provide pallets and pallet wrap for delivery.

It would be especially sweet if their form was designed such that there would be a separate page for each magazine. I wonder if DOJ would be so kind as to provide a handy business reply envelope, which could be taped to the application crate?

I have no doubt that the SoCal Beltfed Shooters would be happy to participate in this endeavor, just as they did in the Theseus/Anderson benefit dinner.

On a related note, I have solid information on the fact that there is at least one registered home-built semi-auto .50BMG in the state of California, with a design based on the M2HB, and a model number of FUKORETZ50. :chris: