PDA

View Full Version : DOJ Centralized Dealers List. What is a DOJ Inspection like?

rbetts
04-16-2009, 9:32 PM
I have my application in to get set up on the CA DOJ's Central List. I have a few questions.

1. How long did it take?
2. Did they visit the dealership prior to issueing the number?
3. What other up front issues should I be prepared for with the DOJ?

halifax
04-17-2009, 4:33 AM
I have my application in to get set up on the CA DOJ's Central List. I have a few questions.

1. How long did it take?
2. Did they visit the dealership prior to issueing the number?
3. What other up front issues should I be prepared for with the DOJ?

I'm a small-time dealer ("kitchen table") in a rural county. I have had my business going for a little over three years. I have only a small inventory.

The CFD happened in a timely manner but don't recall exactly how long it took. My first DOJ inspection didn't happen for more than two years after getting my business going. The things I noticed my DOJ inspector looking for:

Signage including posted business license and all the DOJ required posters.

Safe and security

CA approved gun locks

He then got to the paperwork and made sure all the firearms in the 10-day limbo were still in the safe. Unlike the ATF agent, the DOJ inspector didn't go through all the transaction records but seemed to have a list of specific ones he wanted to see. He looked closely at the "Delivery Date/Time" field. I only had ~150 transactions at the time and I'd say he scrutinized about 50 of them both specifically and randomly.

He was done in about 2 hours. Since I didn't get taken away in cuffs, I'd say I did OK. :)

ETA: He did seem to have a check-list he kept referring to but I didn't see what was on the list.

rbetts
04-17-2009, 8:02 AM
Great Information! So The DOJ has signage that needs to be posted also. Do they supply you with that or did you have to make it up yourself? Is there a website somewhere that has the info on it?

garandguy10
04-17-2009, 8:13 AM
There are several posters that as a FFL dealer you are required to post in your business premises. most are required by the State of CA., Some are required by the BATFE.

I have done business with RK ENTERPRISES here in California and they have a complete sign package and all of the A/D books and inventory control forms that you will need as a FFL dealer. I highly recommend them.

rbetts
04-17-2009, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the referral. I called RK and ordered their CA Sign Package.

Interesting experience for sure! :whistling:

OCArmory
04-17-2009, 11:20 AM
+1 for RK. They also have other packages that will help you with common questions.