PDA

View Full Version : Firearm gift between family

t0kie
04-16-2009, 2:12 PM
I'm planning to buy a gift for my dad, an OU shotgun/long gun.

The thing is about the DROS: Can I DROS it under my name & just give it to him later like that or it's better DROS it under his name (which kinda not cool, because it's not a surprise/gift anymore). Thanks in advance.:thumbsup:
________
Live sex webshows (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

Vin496
04-16-2009, 2:33 PM
I'm planning to buy a gift for my dad, an OU shotgun/long gun.

The thing is about the DROS: Can I DROS it under my name & just give it to him later like that or it's better DROS it under his name (which kinda not cool, because it's not a surprise/gift anymore). Thanks in advance.:thumbsup:

If you Dad is also a California resident, and I'm assuming he is since you mentioned DROSing in his name.

Buy it under you name and just give it to him, under California law no FFl is needed for immediate family transfers, and California does not require registration for a long gun. No forms to send in nothing.

Just Buy it and next time you see him hand it to him, or if he lives in another part of the State you can even mail it directly to him.

t0kie
04-16-2009, 3:09 PM
Yes, he's CA resident (senior citizen) & never have any problems with the law either. Great to know then, thanks Vin496! :thumbsup:
________
Cheap acrylic bongs (http://glassgallery.tumblr.com)

p24
04-17-2009, 6:12 PM
what happens if you're trying to do an interfamilial transfer of a weapon with restrictions in CA? say an XDM purchased legally out of state, and gifted to a resident here (me)

Librarian
04-17-2009, 6:59 PM
what happens if you're trying to do an interfamilial transfer of a weapon with restrictions in CA? say an XDM purchased legally out of state, and gifted to a resident here (me)

Intrafamilial transfers are exempt from the Roster. See http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Transferring_Firearms_Among_Some_Family_Members

That does NOT work for 'assault weapons'.

p24
04-17-2009, 7:10 PM
Intrafamilial transfers are exempt from the Roster. See http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Transferring_Firearms_Among_Some_Family_Members

That does NOT work for 'assault weapons'.

I think my main issue is that XDMs do not YET come with CA legal 10rd magazines...

So how am I to fire this XDM once it's transferred to me, if I can't have the High Cap mags?

Librarian
04-17-2009, 8:13 PM
I think my main issue is that XDMs do not YET come with CA legal 10rd magazines...

So how am I to fire this XDM once it's transferred to me, if I can't have the High Cap mags?

Annoying, but real. I think that's true for a couple other handguns, as well. At the moment, you're stuck waiting for the manufacturer to have pity on CA (and Washington DC) residents and order some 10-rounders for sale. It's supposed to be mechanically possible to convert large-caps to 10s, but that would have to happen outside of CA; a dealer could do it, I suppose.

But you're stuck for use in California. :(

cousinkix1953
04-18-2009, 7:31 AM
Why not permanently install a larger bottom in the magazine similiar to a shotgun plug used for hunting. You'll have to expirament with shortening the spring for 10 rounds; but JB Weld expoxy will hold it inside the magazine shell. They'll need a propane torch to loosen that epoxy and would look silly accusing you of being easily able to restore a high capacity magazine...

DDT
04-18-2009, 11:03 AM
AIt's supposed to be mechanically possible to convert large-caps to 10s, but that would have to happen outside of CA

Nah. You could ship it in as a magazine kit and then put the butt plug on before you reassemble. Then just start cutting off a little at a time until you can fit in 10 rds.

cousinkix1953
04-19-2009, 1:15 AM
Nah. You could ship it in as a magazine kit and then put the butt plug on before you reassemble. Then just start cutting off a little at a time until you can fit in 10 rds.
Those kinky antis in Sacramento are experts on the butt plugs too...

EOD Guy
04-19-2009, 7:39 AM

I would be wary of shipping a "magazine kit" for a magazine that didn't exist before the ban.