PDA

View Full Version : Transporting rifle in case with empty mag attached?

c_hack72
04-16-2009, 2:11 PM
Couldn't really find a definitive answer to this question using the search feature on this site so looking for help. My question is when transporting a rifle in the car, should I keep an empty magazine attached? The rifle in question is a non AW ar 15 with a bullet button.

The reason why I bring it up is because I am about to cut the foam in my pelican case and wondering what is legal, empty magazine detached or attached to the rifle.

Thanks for the help.

Roadrunner
04-16-2009, 2:15 PM
Empty mag in your AR is legal.

adamsreeftank
04-16-2009, 2:19 PM
Either way should be legal, but some people advise keeping a 10-round magazine inserted if you are using a BB. This can limit some of the questions that may come up in an interaction with LEO and can prevent "someone" from "accidentally" inserting a magazine with a capacity greater than 10 rounds in your gun, which would be creating an AW.

xLusi0n
04-16-2009, 2:40 PM
I take the firing pin out of all my weapons. Just something I learned from Mark Walhberg.

doctor_vals
04-16-2009, 2:52 PM
I take the firing pin out of all my weapons. Just something I learned from Mark Walhberg.

WHY :confused:
If the rifle have AW features - it will still AW even with no firing pin.
Check:
http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/regagunfaqs.php

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

inmyownsummerami
04-16-2009, 3:12 PM
WHY :confused:
If the rifle have AW features - it will still AW even with no firing pin.
Check:
http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/regagunfaqs.php

I think that wass a joke in referance to the movie "The Shooter"

Seesm
04-16-2009, 3:20 PM
I transport mine with a empty mag...

bwiese
04-16-2009, 3:26 PM
To minimize drama with LE encounters, I recommend a fixed 10rd mag be locked in during all transportation. And it'd prob behoove folks if those mags were *not* "10/30s", etc. - why have extra 'splainin' to do?

xLusi0n
04-16-2009, 3:32 PM
I think that wass a joke in referance to the movie "The Shooter"

Yes it was. Liked the movie, except that part was just over the top silly :D

Whiskey84
04-16-2009, 3:33 PM
+1 bwiese

I didn't cut the foam for my case to have a magazine inserted. Probably safer to keep an empty 10 rounder in there though.

CHS
04-16-2009, 3:33 PM
It's "smart" to transport your non-detachable magazine rifle with a magazine installed. It's easier to say that your AR is not an AW because it doesn't have the capacity to accept a detachable magazine, while there is a magazine in the gun.

It might sound a little funny saying it's a fixed magazine rifle without a magazine installed, even though legally it is.

So, you've got "legal" and then you've got "legal and smart" :)

SkatinJJ
04-16-2009, 5:34 PM
insert a ten-round mag fixed AND I would also recommend inserting a "Bolt Open-empty chamber" flag to make it obvious that there's not a round in the chamber.

NRAhighpowershooter
04-16-2009, 5:43 PM
I'd say that most LEO's have absolutely NO idea what a OBI is... they will remove it and still check the weapon anyway......

insert a ten-round mag fixed AND I would also recommend inserting a "Bolt Open-empty chamber" flag to make it obvious that there's not a round in the chamber.

c_hack72
04-16-2009, 6:40 PM
thanks all for the speedy relies looks like I'll be transporting with empty mag attached!

BigMac
04-17-2009, 5:41 AM
I like to explain the thinking from the LEO point of view. Now, remeber, not all LEO know what the hell a BB is.

If you are stopped and your firearm is being inspected, how do you explain that your rifle is a fixed magazine non assault weapon if there is no magazine in the gun?

By simply leaving your short ten round mag in the rifle you diffuse this moment. When your firearm gets inspected, they first check for clear by removing the mag and checkiing the chamber. When they hit the mag release and nothing happens, it's a fixed mag.

I wont do a PPT of a fixed mag gun without a mag. Ian will attest, I ama ***** about it. My experience with the DOJ compliance audits tells me not to leave questions for LEO.

SacramentoTDI
04-17-2009, 6:10 AM

:thumbsup: LOL, Seen the movie at least a dozen times. I have the movie on my ipod.

aermotor
04-20-2009, 5:03 PM
Good question and answers, thanks! New to it all so this helps a lot to know the legalities. Best idea is to always avoid the confrontation in the first place.