PDA

View Full Version : Hi-Cap Magazine Registration Bill Pending in CA Senate! HELP!

dchang0
04-16-2009, 2:26 PM
I don't know if this is a dupe, but who cares? It's vitally important that you read this.

From the NRA:

California: High-Capacity Magazines in the Crosshairs!
Please Contact the Senate Public Safety Committee Today!

Senate Bill 776, sponsored by State Senator Loni Hancock (D-9), has been introduced in Sacramento. The bill has been assigned to the Senate Public Safety Committee and could be heard on Tuesday, April 21 or Tuesday, April 28.

Simply put, SB776 would mandate the registration of all magazines capable of holding more than ten rounds of ammunition. The possession of unregistered magazines would be a crime and punishable up to a year in prison.

It is critical that gun owners voice their opposition to SB776. Please contact the members of the Senate Public Safety Committee TODAY and respectfully urge them to oppose this bill. Contact information can be found below.

State Senator Mark Leno (D-3), Chair
(916) 651-4003
senator.leno@senate.ca.gov

State Senator John J. Benoit (R-37), Vice-Chair
(916) 651-4037

State Senator Gilbert Cedillo (D-22)
(916) 651-4022

State Senator Loni Hancock (D-9)
(916) 651-4009

State Senator Robert Huff (R-29)
(916) 651-4029

State Senator Darrell Steinberg (D-6)
(916) 651-4006

State Senator Roderick Wright (D-25)
(916) 651-4025

ke6guj
04-16-2009, 2:30 PM
more discussion at http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=174079

slappomatt
04-16-2009, 2:43 PM
email sent. This is rediculous. I have to move outta this place.

HappyG
04-16-2009, 2:47 PM
Right behind yah...geez.

818gtiguy
04-16-2009, 2:50 PM
another garbage 2A rights violation...

bwiese
04-16-2009, 2:50 PM
email sent. This is rediculous. I have to move outta this place.

No, please stay and help us fight. We CAN win, and we ARE winning in the courts.

Joe
04-16-2009, 2:52 PM
>:-(

818gtiguy
04-16-2009, 3:04 PM
No, please stay and help us fight. We CAN win, and we ARE winning in the courts.

YES!! FIGHT WITH US!! We are more powerful with #`s.....

jandmtv
04-16-2009, 3:05 PM
This blows!

EDIT: e-mail sent.

BONECUTTER
04-16-2009, 3:09 PM

This is the best advice one can give. I have had numerous chances to move out of CA.

We need to stay because they want us gone.
We need to stay because they want our guns gone.
We need to stay because it pisses them off that we are still here...still fighting and still buying guns.

God Bless The Mauser
04-16-2009, 3:17 PM
How do they expect to register them? Engrave serial numbers in each magazine? That is just absurd.

Seesm
04-16-2009, 3:53 PM
Is this a REAL deal?

dchang0
04-16-2009, 4:11 PM
Yes, it's real. The NRA-ILA sent out the call to arms today. It's gone to the Senate Public Safety Committee, so we should call in to put it down while there are only a handful of senators to contact. It doesn't take a lot of effort--just call each one up and say, "I OPPOSE SB776." They may ask you for cursory contact info such as name, zip code, or phone so that they know which district you are in.

No need to spend hours writing a big long letter--your letter gets noted as a SUPPORT/OPPOSE in their database and they pretty much throw out the letter. Only occasionally does a letter get personal attention from the legislator, and usually then only if it's in line with the legislator's views or especially noteworthy (meaning potential bad publicity if not handled with kid gloves).

Timmay
04-16-2009, 4:15 PM
Is this a REAL deal?

Yes.

The bill has been assigned to the Senate Public Safety Committee and could be heard on Tuesday, April 21 or Tuesday, April 28.

I got the email from the NRA today.

If you want to help, join the NRA. I get emails like this almost everyday from them and it helps me keep on top of what is going on with our 2A rights. Needless to say, I do a lot of emailing. Also on a side note, be professional when you email these people.

chefdude
04-16-2009, 4:37 PM
come on fellow cal gunners. we must organize to keep these bills from ever popping up. Please call the senators listed above and be heard. It took me exactly 9min to call all the numbers listed to voice my opinion and be heard. I am glad to say that Senator John Benoit from my district Opposes the bill and the person fielding the calls let me know. Please Take 9 Min Out Of Your Day to call. We dont want the enemy's of our fine sport to lay the ground work for something bigger.

Sam .223
04-16-2009, 7:49 PM
made the calls, but i didn't see this apply to the rebuild kits, so i guess that those are still ok to have?

Requiem
04-16-2009, 8:11 PM
so is this for CA only or for nationwide???
either way, I emailed that guy....

a1fabweld
04-16-2009, 10:06 PM
Maybe we can convert them to PEZ dispensers & paint Hello Kitty on them!

SimpleCountryActuary
04-17-2009, 8:56 PM
made the calls, but i didn't see this apply to the rebuild kits, so i guess that those are still ok to have?

Don't be complacent. Remember that it is illegal to own machine gun parts unless you have the proper license. Call, write, or email. Keep it SIMPLE. Like the Man said, just tell them you oppose the bill.

"Evil tests the resolve of Good before risking an attack in force."

outersquare
04-17-2009, 9:01 PM

heh, i was talking to a manager at turners about this, about people moving to other states, and he said, what are they gonna do when californication comes to their state??

cdtx2001
04-17-2009, 9:04 PM
How do you register a magazine? There are no serial numbers. Are they gonna put serial numbers on them for you? DOES THE AVERAGE GANG BANGER GIVE A RATS A** THAT HIS MAGS AREN'T REGISTERED?????

BadFish
04-17-2009, 9:15 PM
Bill is right stop fleeing and start fighting. I think there are more pro gun citizens in this state then most believe. But many are to scare to voice this in public because they feel alone. A public display of unity could go a long way to changing this. I'm not talking an armed display or a violent display, but a peaceful 2A protest rally in a city near you. I dont know maybe I'm just thinking out loud, but I still think it would be a good idea if we could actually get people off there butts and out on the corner.

hawk81
04-17-2009, 9:23 PM
WE NEED AN ARMED DISPLAY. THAT WAY THEY KNOW WHO THEY ARE MESSING WITH.

BadFish
04-17-2009, 9:29 PM

Ok , let me know how that turns out for you.

Uxi
04-17-2009, 11:50 PM
How do they expect to register them? Engrave serial numbers in each magazine? That is just absurd.

Indeed.

dchang0
04-18-2009, 12:07 AM
heh, i was talking to a manager at turners about this, about people moving to other states, and he said, what are they gonna do when californication comes to their state??

AMEN AMEN AMEN--politicians love to say that "California leads the nation" in terms of laws, and any stupid gun laws that form here will spread elsewhere. Just recently, after the Heller decision, IIRC the District of Columbia is trying to implement some sort of California-style "safe" handgun roster.

pewpewguns
04-18-2009, 9:19 AM
Are magazine-related arrests actually likely to take place in Cali any time soon..:confused:

What type of punishment do these new laws come with?

pewpewguns
04-18-2009, 9:21 AM

Please have someone film it for entertainment purposes.. (you might even make the news!)

hawk81
04-18-2009, 11:33 AM
This is exactly why Californians are going to loose all there rights. Because they do not stand up for themselves and say enough is enough. By not taking a stand, you are giving up your rights. You are not going to debate your rights back from these insane people in the Californian government. Gun owners here need to get organized and let these people who are in control of the Californian government know that we will not surrender our rights without a fight.

steven_m64
04-18-2009, 12:19 PM
standing up for your rights is one thing a armed display that WILL be used to show we are "crazy gun nuts" in the media, giving fuel to the anti's is counter productive and serves nothing but make things worse.

4thSeal
04-18-2009, 12:33 PM
Message sent to my D5 senator...

Lazy-8
04-18-2009, 6:45 PM
Emails sent.

AaronHorrocks
04-20-2009, 12:26 PM
How do you register mags?
How do you register BMG links?
How do you register cloth belts???

dchang0
04-20-2009, 2:20 PM
If you read the proposed bill carefully, they are planning to force us to submit all of our hi-cap magazines for serial number stamping, and we have to pay a $20 fee for the registration. The bill does not say whether the $20 is per magazine or per registration (meaning a batch of magazines).

So, yes, this is serious, and no, you should not take it lightly just because it sounds ludicrous that they could register un-serialized items like magazines.

glockman19
04-20-2009, 2:33 PM
Nordyke makes this bill unconstitutional and unenforceable.

Fate
04-20-2009, 3:10 PM
Nordyke makes this bill unconstitutional and unenforceable.
and the walls
come tumblin' down
and the walls
come tumblin', crumblin'
and the walls
come tumblin' dowwwwnnnn
ya ya ya yeah!
:thumbsup:

AaronHorrocks
04-20-2009, 3:11 PM
Come and take them!

Josh3239
04-20-2009, 4:02 PM
If you read the proposed bill carefully, they are planning to force us to submit all of our hi-cap magazines for serial number stamping, and we have to pay a $20 fee for the registration. The bill does not say whether the $20 is per magazine or per registration (meaning a batch of magazines).

So, yes, this is serious, and no, you should not take it lightly just because it sounds ludicrous that they could register un-serialized items like magazines.

Can that even work on mags made of polymer, plastics or transculent materials?

thefurball
04-20-2009, 4:30 PM
State Senator Mark Leno (D-3), Chair
(916) 651-4003
senator.leno@senate.ca.gov

State Senator John J. Benoit (R-37), Vice-Chair
(916) 651-4037

State Senator Gilbert Cedillo (D-22)
(916) 651-4022

State Senator Loni Hancock (D-9)
(916) 651-4009

State Senator Robert Huff (R-29)
(916) 651-4029

State Senator Darrell Steinberg (D-6)
(916) 651-4006

State Senator Roderick Wright (D-25)
(916) 651-4025

I just called them all.

It took exactly 8 minutes out of my day.

They all wanted to know which city I lived in, but only about half wanted my name.

All I had to say was "Hi. I'm calling to voice my opposition to SB776, please."

Piece of cake. If you have not called yet, do it now!

ErikTheRed
04-20-2009, 4:57 PM
Just made my calls, and if you can get past the snooty, arrogant demeanor of the lefties who answer the phone and discover you oppose the bill (you're a right-wing extremist), its very easy. Took me about 1 minute per call, incuding the Republicans.

Now, I made my calls because its my duty and my responsibility as a citizen concerned with my Costitutional rights. But to be honest, with the tremendous corruption going on in government, particularly the liberal side of government, I seriously doubt my calls will do a damn bit of good. Most of the opposition will be swept under the rug, and as usually happens, they will ignore the wants and desires of the voters and do whatever they want anyway-- even if the majority opposes their agenda. They do it all the time and it just keeps getting worse. Eventually, an armed protest is exactly what it will take, just as America's founders had to fight oppressive dictatorial rule to earn their freedoms. Your representative government no longers cares about you, your freedoms, or your Constitution. They desire power, control, and wealth, and any opposition to that agenda will be ignored..... and ultimately crushed by whatever means necessary unless we decide otherwise. I mean, isn't that the whole reason for the 2nd Amendment anyway? Why do we worry about it if we never plan to excersize it?

dchang0
04-20-2009, 5:46 PM
I hear ya man. Let's hope it doesn't get that far, but if it ever does, making these calls is what you call "doing our due diligence." We could always point back to the records and say: "Hey, we warned 'em not to ignore our rights, and so they did, and so here we are!"

Builder
04-20-2009, 8:40 PM

Towards the end of http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/09-10/bill/sen/sb_0751-0800/sb_776_bill_20090415_amended_sen_v98.html
SEC. 3. Section 12044 is added to the Penal Code, to read:
(8) The department may charge a fee for registrations under
paragraphs (1) to (3), inclusive, of up to twenty dollars ($20) per
person, but not to exceed actual costs. The fee may be increased
annually not to exceed the annual cost-of-living adjustment for the
Department of Justice's budget or as otherwise increased in the
annual Budget Act. The fees shall be deposited in the Dealers' Record
of Sale Special Account. No fees shall be charged for registrations
under paragraph (4).

Also notice:
(6) In the case of registration under paragraphs (1) to (3),
inclusive, the registration shall contain a description of the
large-capacity magazine that identifies it uniquely, including all
identification marks, and the full name, address, date of birth, and
thumbprint of the owner, and any other information that the
Department of Justice deems appropriate.

There is no way that a magazine can be identified specifically as one that is "registered" because the law doesn't allow the state to issue any stickers, labels, or anything else to identify which magazines are "registered". Magazine identification marks? humm.. Black? Evil? :43: This is such a poorly written law that it isn't even funny.
This is pure pandering to the Bradys.
Thanks,
Builder

J_Rock
04-20-2009, 8:43 PM
You really need to change the title of this thread. It makes it seem like you are asking a question about registering your hi caps. I skipped over this thread until I saw it in the 2nd amendment forum.

Hank Dodge
04-20-2009, 9:05 PM
OK...I'm missing something here. How does the Nordyke outcome make it so we are not required to use reduced capacity magazines?? I'd figure that the state could still put restrictions on standard magazines. Where did this issue get resolved in the Nordyke case?

:confused:

dchang0
04-20-2009, 9:15 PM
Thanks, J Rock... title's been changed.

Builder: Thanks for the clarification on "$20 per person," but I don't see how the bill prevents the gov't from issuing what would be considered an "identification mark."

You are right--this bill is very poorly written if taken literally--identifying a magazine purely by description without serializing it would make the recordkeeping a nightmare ("Glock 19 15 round magazine, black, with scratches on floorplate"). But poorly-written bills do become law, and though we might eventually develop workarounds (such as the OLL movement), they can still be huge thorns in our side.

In a way, a vaguely written law is more dangerous to us than a properly-written law, such as how the vague grammar of the 2nd Amendment fostered the decades of argument between the "state's right to form militias" and "individual right to keep and bear arms" crowds.

Worse yet, the seemingly unenforceable law as worded might merely be the tip of the spear--the plan might be for the DOJ to later say, "hey, we can't enforce the law the way it's written, so we're going to start issuing serial numbers--it's the only way to keep with the spirit of the law."

Either way, we gotta put this down before it gains any traction.

dfletcher
04-20-2009, 9:29 PM
How do you register a magazine? There are no serial numbers.

If magazines are registered, I suppose there would have to be some sort of self registration involved. As in, send us a list of all the hi caps you own & we'll send you a list of serial numbers to stick on the side of the magazine?

My guess is once submitted, your stash is frozen at 10 of these, 12 of those or 3 of these - and that whatever you submit as yours would be considered legally owned.

Just a guess.

dchang0
04-20-2009, 9:37 PM
Or this particular part (12020 (a) (2), I think) could be the real point of the bill:

(2) Commencing January 1, 2011, any person who possess a
large-capacity magazine is punishable by imprisonment in a county
jail not exceeding one year.

The registration language could be just a cursory effort to grandfather in existing hi-cap mags (without doing it clearly enough to definitely protect us) so that they can seem reasonable while enacting a full-out hi-cap magazine POSSESSION ban.

timmyb21
04-20-2009, 9:40 PM
I've e mailed and called every representative in my district. Hopefully it will make a difference.

Q
04-21-2009, 5:13 AM

I got some expensive mags, several worth 100 + each! I wouldn't want to engrave anything on them, that would surely devalue them.:mad:

Hank Dodge
04-21-2009, 6:05 AM
That's a good point. It hadn't hit me yet that they could destroy the collector value of my original magazines!! At the prices that they are getting for factory mags these days, that is a very valid concern.

thefurball
04-21-2009, 6:37 AM
I seriously doubt my calls will do a damn bit of good...

Most likely not, but it just like being registered to vote. If you don't participate you have no excuse to b*t*h about how bad things have gotten.

Like the bumpersticker says: "Don't blame me - I voted for the other guy."

LongRangeShootin
04-21-2009, 7:17 AM

yea, we do, but from the majority of this countries citizens. we need to stand up and let these fools know were sick of all of it.

let me ask you, when all of this stuff finally gets passed, and the suckers come knocking on your door wanting your guns and ammo, whatchya gonna do?

i better shut up. under obamas administration, ill be seen as a terrorist or an antagonist.

jafount
04-21-2009, 9:27 AM
email sent