View Full Version : WTK value of a Lever gun.

04-16-2009, 1:06 PM
I have a friend who has given up hunting and is looking to sell there deer gun. Its a Marlin Lever action model 336 RC in 30-30. It has a Redfield 2 3/4 scope with Redfield base and rings. Id say the bluing's about 80% and the wood has some dings its a hunting gun. Also the rear sling swivel was re drilled at some point. They were asking me a value and to possibly help them sell it. So what are these things going for these days? All help is appreciated and thank you!

04-16-2009, 1:09 PM
Buy it for yourself! If you don't have one you should get it. The wear on the bluing and dents in the stock won't fetch enough to be worth the effort of selling it to someone else, particularly since they're so common, but it's perfect for utility and fun.

04-16-2009, 1:12 PM
I have a Remington ive used for years and will continue to do so until its my sons. Honestly I dont have a need for a 30-30 or else I would keep it. Thanks for the input.

04-16-2009, 2:05 PM
It's probably worth somewhere in the range of $250-$300. I would be interested in it at those prices if you were in SoCal and we could to a PPT.

04-16-2009, 2:23 PM
hey you took my sig:D

If you decide on a price let me know I might be willing to take it off your hands.

04-16-2009, 2:52 PM
I looked up the 336 RC Marlin in the current Fjestad 'Blue Book'.

They give $275 for 80% condition, which would tend to substantiate rabagley's estimate.

That model was noted as having been produced from 1948 to 1968, so its actual year of production would have to be established to determine whether it meets the 'fifty year old' criteria for private sale in California.

According to the Fjestad serialisation notes, a Marlin serial prefix letter of "E" denotes 1948 production, with the letters being sequential by year, to 'S' denoting 1958-59 production. A serial number prefix of 'T' would indicate 1960 production, and so on.

(please note that I offer material taken from the Fjestad book with the understanding that I believe I've quoted it correctly, but I am not offering 'legal advice', amd take no liability for any error, regarding the legality of any sale of any firearm)

The scope/rings may add some value, but there could be a caveat.

If I remember correctly, the top of the receiver of that model of Marlin was factory drilled/tapped for scope mount, but I could be mistaken.

If that rifle was not originally drilled/tapped for scope mounting, but was drilled/tapped by someone else later, that may affect the value, in some people's opinion.

04-16-2009, 3:53 PM
Thank you what a wealth of information! Thats what so great about this site! Thanks again

04-16-2009, 3:55 PM
Serial number stats AB 407

04-17-2009, 12:57 PM
According to the Fjestad Blue Book serialisation listings for Marlin, that "AB" serial no. prefix indicates that the rifle was built in 1966.

04-17-2009, 1:01 PM
That model was noted as having been produced from 1948 to 1968, so its actual year of production would have to be established to determine whether it meets the 'fifty year old' criteria for private sale in California.

Wouldn't you need a C&R license to sell privately, i.e. not through an FFL?

04-17-2009, 1:36 PM

I don't mind helping someone a bit with information taken from a well-known, commonly-used book, which purports to list probable market value ranges for a wide variety of firearms. Likewise, I don't mind taking a few minutes to list details such as serial number ranges provided in that book.......but I only quote from a book, I don't claim to have first-hand knowledge as to values or the accuracy of the published serial number tables.

Also.....for the record....

I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on the Calguns site, or anywhere else, for that matter, so anything I say must not be considered to be any attempt at provision of 'legal advice'.

My understanding of California law regarding private party sales of firearms is that private sales of 'long guns' between private collectors, if the individuals are over 21 years of age, and not 'prohibited persons', are not subject to any legal restriction, if the long gun(s) in question is(are) over fifty years of age.

I've read material here on the Calguns site which would seem to confirm my understanding.......but I could be mistaken, hence the disclaimer.

I know nothing whatever of the specific requirements under California law regarding licensure, dealership status, and/or required documentation for the sale/purchase of a long gun which is less than fifty years old, so I cannot comment on your question.

Now, you can probably readily guess my opinion of the 'climate of paranoia' which some aspects of our government here in Cali have been promoting, relating to private ownership of firearms.

It seems, to me, simply ludicrous that the sale/purchase of a common lever-action hunting rifle should be subjected to a regulatory process if that specific rifle was built after a specific date, when thousands of exactly equivalent rifles, built before that specific date, may be purchased/sold without such documentation........yet, if my understanding is correct, someone could be subjected to prosecution for alleged violation of that bit of 'California law'.

Edited: There is a question which, hopefully, could be answered by one of the actual lawyers on this board, who are familiar with the practical application of firearms law here in California.

The question would be this: If 'A' were to offer a long gun for sale, and describe it as being over fifty years of age, by use of the serialisation tables in the 'Fjestad Blue Book', would doing so be considered an acceptable level of 'due diligence' to establish a bona fide intention of compliance with that aspect of California law?