PDA

View Full Version : Why CA sould be shall issue

missiondude
04-16-2009, 12:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkWgp2abM2w

Cant make a better case than this. Sorry if it is a dupe.

Untamed1972
04-16-2009, 12:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkWgp2abM2w

Cant make a better case than this. Sorry if it is a dupe.

I got the email from FS too. Good video......kinda makes one realize why UOC, or locked container carry for self-defense is generally gonna be pretty useless though.

yellowfin
04-16-2009, 12:33 PM
No matter if there are 1000 stories of this every day, TPTB don't like it.

Untamed1972
04-16-2009, 1:03 PM
Interesting though that it took going thru most of that for him to finally be issued a CCW. Most people aren't so lucky (perhaps due to being prepared in ways that can be) because the first occurence is also their last because they end up dead from being unarmed.

Roadrunner
04-16-2009, 1:55 PM
I think that it's shameful that our government from our legislators down to our police place more importance on things than on people. I wonder if this watchmaker would be permitted to carry a gun if he was simply protecting himself and not his property. Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased that he can defend himself, but I think everyone who can and is willing should have an equal opportunity to choose how best to defend themselves.

Legasat
04-16-2009, 1:57 PM
Choose to be a victim or not

Our decision.

Untamed1972
04-16-2009, 2:03 PM
I think that it's shameful that our government from our legislators down to our police place more importance on things than on people. I wonder if this watchmaker would be permitted to carry a gun if he was simply protecting himself and not his property. Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased that he can defend himself, but I think everyone who can and is willing should have an equal opportunity to choose how best to defend themselves.

I wouldn't doubt that a big part of his getting issued the CCW was because of the threat of revenge from the fellow gang members of the guys he killed. Just sad that it hasta come to that.

I like what he had to say about having to decide ahead of time for yourself ig you're going to chose to fight and possibly die or are you just going to be a helpless victim.

Roadrunner
04-16-2009, 2:11 PM
I wouldn't doubt that a big part of his getting issued the CCW was because of the threat of revenge from the fellow gang members of the guys he killed. Just sad that it hasta come to that.

I like what he had to say about having to decide ahead of time for yourself ig you're going to chose to fight and possibly die or are you just going to be a helpless victim.

I appreciate what you're saying. That makes it even worse. What if he was outside at the time where it was illegal for him to exercise his second amendment rights? Would he just be another murder statistic now?

Untamed1972
04-16-2009, 2:14 PM
I appreciate what you're saying. That makes it even worse. What if he was outside at the time where it was illegal for him to exercise his second amendment rights? Would he just be another murder statistic now?

I meant it's sad that someone has to be in such dire straights, like be hunted by gang members, for the government to finally decide he (or anyone else) is worthy of being able to protect themselves. Because of the laws we have (and lack of mental preperation), most people likely wouldn't have survived the first attack, let alone 2 more with multiple attackers even.

Roadrunner
04-16-2009, 2:23 PM
I meant it's sad that someone has to be in such dire straights, like be hunted by gang members, for the government to finally decide he (or anyone else) is worthy of being able to protect themselves. Because of the laws we have (and lack of mental preperation), most people likely wouldn't have survived the first attack, let alone 2 more with multiple attackers even.

I think people in general are hunted by gang members everyday in L.A. yet their city council and police department are the most antigun. Even though I live in California, I thank God that I live in Stanislaus county rather than the urban sprawl like L.A. or S.F.

CCWFacts
04-16-2009, 2:28 PM
I heard about that guy before. He used to have a policy of refusing any publicity, but there was a long and detailed article (http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_156_26/ai_82533205/) about him.

I'm glad he's finally giving interviews. It's awful what he went through, and he'll never really get his life back.

I guess this shows what you need to do to get a CCW in Santa Monica: got shot a couple of times, kill four armed robbers and have gangs take a contract out. If you survive it, you've got GC.

Untamed1972
04-16-2009, 2:31 PM
I guess this shows what you need to do to get a CCW in Santa Monica: got shot a couple of times, kill four armed robbers and have gangs take a contract out. If you survive it, you've got GC.

I'd still bet there'd be come CLEO somewhere that would say it's not good cause because he brought it on himself and could have avoided it by just giving the robbers what they wanted.

CCWFacts
04-16-2009, 2:36 PM
I'd still bet there'd be come CLEO somewhere that would say it's not good cause because he brought it on himself and could have avoided it by just giving the robbers what they wanted.

Oh, absolutely. In SF he would not have good cause. They would say, "call 911" and try to sign him up for a "conflict resolution skills" class.

Yeah, Chief Fong, I've taken many conflict resolution classes, where I learned how to quickly and permanently end violent conflicts.

DDT
04-16-2009, 3:51 PM
I love the response to the reporter saying: If you just gave him the watches then you would have lost the watches but not been shot.

Well, that would have been up to him and I didn't want him to decide if I live or die.

RomanDad
04-16-2009, 4:43 PM
Good for him....

yellowfin
04-16-2009, 5:06 PM
What wouid be useful to know is whether or not he applied beforehand and was turned down, also whether any other attack survivors have been denied there as well. It said there are only 2 CCW's in Santa Monica.

Paladin
05-09-2009, 12:19 PM
Finally got around to watching this TV segment re Lance Thomas and his gunfights. Who'd have thought one of the baddest civilian gunfighters of the last century would be a white haired watchmaker!

On another forum I visit a firearms instructor said he met Lance when he sold him guns back in the day. He asked Lance where his fighting spirit/determination came from. Lance's reply: "Golden Gloves boxing." :chris:

By watching the video and reading the article, you can learn a lot about what works and what doesn't. Note how even a SIG jammed when Lance had to shoot w/a bent wrist in order to stop BG before he killed Lance. You shouldn't assume you'll have the time/opportunity to get into Weaver/Isosceles. Revolvers don't suffer from that weakness, but they do suffer from relatively limited capacity (S&W offers 7 and 8-shot .357s), and slow reloading (although "New York reloads" still work).
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_156_26/ai_82533205/

If you go to the article, vote for it on the 1st page.

Nachoman
05-09-2009, 10:05 PM
His story reminded me of the Punisher movie (the crappy one with John Travolta in it. oh wait, they were all crappy...) when the Punisher was fighting that giant, white haired Russian guy. Instead of trying to fight with just one gun he had all of these guns (and grenades) stashed away in secret compartments. When one got knocked away he crawls to another. You don't have to reload if you have half a dozen loaded guns in a 10ft radius.