View Full Version : One Piece Base vs. Two Piece Base

04-16-2009, 11:48 AM
I plan on buying a Remington 700 sometime over the summer. This would be my first rifle. I'm researching parts for it and I'm currently considering the advantages of a one piece scope base versus a two piece scope base. It seems to me, in my limited knowledge, that a one piece base would be more solid than a two piece base, but a two piece base would provide better clearance for reloading. Are either of these thoughts true? Does it really matter? What would you recommend?

04-16-2009, 12:10 PM
I believe in less parts = less problems.

What do you mean reloading? Don't you mean loading for those that don't use magazines? I have never noticed it when I push the rounds into my 700PSS. The 1 piece mount does have a cutout for this purpose.

I have another 700 with a 2-piece mount and never had a problem. If you are going with good brand, then I would go with whatever is cheaper.

04-16-2009, 12:25 PM
For reloading, I just mean putting rounds in through the top of the gun (I don't plan on getting a magazine fed gun).

04-16-2009, 7:23 PM
I bought a one piece and now I am switching out to a two piece.. Looks nicer in my opinion and less weight and less space taken up..
As long as you use loctite, you wont have any problems.

04-16-2009, 7:29 PM
You are exactly correct in your thoughts, as is supermario. There is a give and take with both types of mounts. Try a couple of guns with each type of mount and see what you like best for looks, function, etc (I think it would be very hard to feel any weight difference once their mounted on the gun)

04-16-2009, 7:54 PM
that is true that you really wouldnt feel any weight difference, but after you shave an ounce here, an ounce there, next thing you know you took off a half of pound, and that can make a difference when lugging around a hunting rifle.. I say buy both and sell the one you dont like on calguns;)

04-16-2009, 7:59 PM
Some hardcore individuals will say that a one piece base is more solid and sturdy than a two piece base. If you look at most custom built rigs, yes they all use one piece bases. But then you have guys like tac-ops that use two piece bases due to an explanation I can't recall at the moment. His rigs guarantee 1/4 moa, which might say something.

AS mentioned, it comes down to the quality of the bases your using and that they are installed PROPERLY. So buy quality, and make sure theyre mounted straight. Doesn;t matter if its two piece or one.

04-16-2009, 8:30 PM
I use and prefer 2 piece bases for the more clearance to load reason. If you are going long and need a 20 moa base, then you are usually stuck with a 1 piece unit.

04-16-2009, 8:45 PM
Anyway you cut it a one peice is more sturdy.. Less chance for something to get out of alinement if smacked or bumped.. Less variables being it is one machined peice.. 2 peice mounts can indeed be done right.. but my choice will always be one peice mounts .. peice of mind to me

04-16-2009, 8:53 PM
I have a Remington 700 SS 5R Mil-Spec with Badger Ordnance 20 MOA (1 piece) base and Medium-High Rings for a Nightforce Benchrest 8-32x56 scope. The single base doesn't get in the way for me loading. I have a floorplate without a boxed magazine, but have no issues with clearance or loading of any kind. I think either way is fine, I just picked the way that gave me the most options, mostly the MOA inclination, and the increased rigidity and fewer mounting factors of the 2 piece. A good base and rings will go a long way. I think Nightforce, Leupold, Badger Ordnance, and Simmons (or something like that) are supposed to be excellent choices.