PDA

View Full Version : CA Safe Law Question

sjwolf
04-16-2009, 12:09 PM
When buying a rifle do you need proof that you own a safe before they'll let you take it home?

Dirtbiker
04-16-2009, 12:10 PM
A safe is not necessary. No safe you need a gun lock. Safe= no gun lock needed.

ZRX61
04-16-2009, 1:15 PM
You just sign the affadavit at the gun store that you own a safe that complies with some DoJ specs. (assuming you DO own one?)

bwiese
04-16-2009, 1:29 PM
You just sign the affadavit at the gun store that you own a safe that complies with some DoJ specs. (assuming you DO own one?)

Yes, don't falsely sign the safe affadavit - a felony perjury penalty would kill your RKBA.

Librarian
04-16-2009, 2:05 PM
See also http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=81127

aermotor
04-20-2009, 6:07 PM
So before purchasing a firearm you must either have a safe OR a gun lock?

Librarian
04-20-2009, 6:43 PM
So before purchasing a firearm you must either have a safe OR a gun lock?

Before a dealer can deliver a firearm to you, California requires that you have either a safe (sign the affidavit) or buy a gun lock with or within the 30 days prior to delivery; FEDS require a gun lock for handguns, because ATF can't get its act together and create a safe affidavit it will accept, and California's affidavit is not acceptable to ATF.

Again, read http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=81127

aermotor
04-20-2009, 10:09 PM
Sorry maybe I missed it but I didn't see in that original post where it talked about safes vs. locks. Maybe this doesn't apply to rifles. I'm going to be purchasing a Tikka T3 and an AR15.

Librarian
04-20-2009, 10:27 PM
Sorry maybe I missed it but I didn't see in that original post where it talked about safes vs. locks. Maybe this doesn't apply to rifles. I'm going to be purchasing a Tikka T3 and an AR15.

Safe or lock DOES apply to rifles.

aermotor, did you read the post I linked to? It goes into long gory detail, but it starts There are TWO sets of laws to satisfy, California and Federal.

For long guns, either a gun safe (as attested to by the Gun Safe or Lock Box Ownership Affidavit) or a gun lock will suffice - see DOJ's page Roster of Firearm Safety Devices Certified for Sale.

As things stand in September, 2008, the gun safe/Affidavit doesn't work (comfortably, for the FFL) for hand gun purchases, because for hand guns, the Feds complicated things with the "CHILD SAFETY LOCK ACT OF 2005", now 18 USC 922(z)

popeye4
04-21-2009, 7:51 AM
Gun locks are rather cheap and you don't have to use them. Just part of the overhead to purchasing a firearm (like transfer and DROS fees).

Before I got a safe, I used the Master trigger locks on my long guns (they pretty much enclose the trigger guard). I figured at least if they were stolen, the thief would have to break and repair them before he could resell them. Perhaps enough to discourage someone, but I never had to test that theory (thank God).

hybridkarpower
04-21-2009, 8:08 AM
Most brand new firearms sold in Cali are equipped w/ some sort of locking device now days. I have witnessed my FFL entering the lock brand & model number on comment section of the DROS screen in DOJ's website many times. And yes, it is required for both handguns & long guns, not sure about C&R type firearms though !!

sjwolf, if you need a California compliant gun lock because the rifle you are buying isn't already equipped with one, don't hesitate to send me an email or reply here I will be happy to send you one.

DarkHorse
04-21-2009, 10:58 AM
I think you can get a fre lock from your Sheriff's Dept/Local PD. I don't know if they'll give you a receipt of any kind. There's a thread on it somewhere.

(In that thread, the claim is made that the locks ar CA approved.)