PDA

View Full Version : SKS legality question

mikehtiger
04-16-2009, 6:45 AM
Hi, I'd like to start off by saying I have never owned a gun before and this is my first gun I've ever bought
My roomate is a big gun collector and had a yugo sks with a grenade launcher on it that he bought from a big 5 in california about 5 or 6 years ago. He sold me the gun yesterday for 300 dollars and we took it to the local reputable gun shop to get it transferred to me. I did not question the legality of the grenade launcher until I got excited about my new purchase and started googling the gun. Now I'm reading that the grenade launchers are illegal in Ca. My question is what should I do about the rifle, just switch it out to a muzzle break when I get it back from the 10 day wait period or what if anything, It is unmodified in any way and he hasn't even shot it since he bought it in 2002. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

haodoken
04-16-2009, 7:46 AM
Well, if your roommate bought it from Big 5 in CA, the chances of it having the grenade launcher muzzle brake is probably zip. They follow the firearms laws pretty closely. It's probably a century arms m59/66 CA Version which means it came with the non-grenade launcher muzzle break. I could be wrong but without a pic can't be 100% sure. Put one up and I'm sure we can tell you which kind it is. :thumbsup:

ohsmily
04-16-2009, 7:53 AM
Hi, I'd like to start off by saying I have never owned a gun before and this is my first gun I've ever bought
My roomate is a big gun collector and had a yugo sks with a grenade launcher on it that he bought from a big 5 in california about 5 or 6 years ago. He sold me the gun yesterday for 300 dollars and we took it to the local reputable gun shop to get it transferred to me. I did not question the legality of the grenade launcher until I got excited about my new purchase and started googling the gun. Now I'm reading that the grenade launchers are illegal in Ca. My question is what should I do about the rifle, just switch it out to a muzzle break when I get it back from the 10 day wait period or what if anything, It is unmodified in any way and he hasn't even shot it since he bought it in 2002. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Are you sure it is the original grenade launching device? Chances are, it doesn't have the original grenade launcher. Post a pic of the muzzle device. It is most likely a brake that was later added after the grenade launcher was cut off.

Gator Monroe
04-16-2009, 7:56 AM
It may have a sleeve welded over GL or it could be the Tapco brake that resembles original GL but is legal ... anyhoo an SKS is a great first rifle for an adult !:thumbsup:

doc1buc
04-16-2009, 7:56 AM
:iagree: