PDA

View Full Version : Spot of good news...CCW and Solano.

kdm
04-16-2009, 5:17 AM
Wow...coming from Solano, no less. This was pleasantly surprising, although it doesn't seem it'll make much difference in actually getting a CCW.

BTW, how do I stick the article here instead of the link?

http://www.thereporter.com/news/ci_12154497

Fjold
04-16-2009, 5:44 AM
Cut and paste.

Jurors review gun process

Seeking a license to carry a concealed weapon in Solano County?

The process is tough, but possible, and in real need of change, according to a Solano County grand jury report released this week.

The investigatory body launched its probe after receiving a complaint from a citizen. Following research, interviews, and information gathered while posing as licensing applicants, the grand jury leveled some criticisms of its own.

According to the California Penal Code, a county's sheriff and police chiefs of each city are authorized to issue licenses to carry concealed weapons. Each also is authorized to levy any restrictions they deem warranted.

In Solano County, Sheriff Gary Stanton can issue licenses to any applicant within the county. But in accordance with an informal policy between him and the seven police chiefs in the county, Stanton reportedly agreed to issue licenses only to residents of unincorporated areas and let each city's chief handle applications in their jurisdictions. Should the chiefs deny an application, the applicant can then seek a license from Stanton.

One problem, the grand jury said, is the application process is "lengthy and convoluted" and applications can be denied if sufficient "good cause" has not been demonstrated. The denial, jurors said, may simply be a difference of opinion on the need for a license, so the sheriff or police chief should be as transparent as possible during the process.

"This will avoid the appearance of favoritism or unwarranted discrimination," jurors wrote.

The application cost also varies widely from agency to agency, the report said, and the applicant "bears the expense of the process whether or not the application is approved." Reviewing current rates to ensure they're in line with actual processing costs was advised.

Discouraging applicants from applying apparently was evidenced during the investigation, irking jurors.

"Any law-abiding citizen has the right to apply for a license," they wrote. "The final decision and authority to issue the license lies with the chief executive of the agency: the sheriff or police chief, and with no one else."

Another issue, the jurors said, was a discrepancy between county officials saying they have complied with laws requiring them to notify the state firearms bureau of denied applications and the bureau saying none were received for 2008. Re-submitting the notifications was suggested.

Other recommendations included providing denied applicants with a letter explaining the denial, which can then be submitted to the sheriff when applying for a license through him; and focusing on transparency during the process, "to ensure fairness at all levels of the application process."

IGOTDIRT4U
04-16-2009, 6:18 AM
This is and can be good news. The results of how the Sheriff and Chiefs act will certainly have either a positive impact on CCW, or lead to further interesting events.

RomanDad
04-16-2009, 6:38 AM
:thumbsup:

DDT
04-16-2009, 6:43 AM
"This will avoid the appearance of favoritism or unwarranted discrimination," jurors wrote.

What is "warranted discrimination?"

Bill_in_SD
04-16-2009, 7:04 AM
"But in accordance with an informal policy between him and the seven police chiefs in the county"

Did not declare 'G'........

sfpcservice
04-16-2009, 7:22 AM
Here is the link to the full report from the Grand Jury:

http://www.solanocourts.com/grandjury/2009/CarryConcealedWeaponsLicenseReport.pdf

WokMaster1
04-16-2009, 8:21 AM
so who do I complain to in Contra Costa county?;)

CCWFacts
04-16-2009, 8:26 AM
That's good news.

Wow, they found lack of fairness and lack of transparency and intentional efforts to hinder the process in a county's CCW system? I'm shocked I tell you! Shocked!

It's cool that they went out and tried it.

Roadrunner
04-16-2009, 9:16 AM
So if these police chiefs and sheriff are agreeing to not issue permits, can they be charged by the grand jury with conspiracy? Or maybe someone could charge them in federal courts under RICO.

infernalaanger
04-16-2009, 9:30 AM
so who do I complain to in Contra Costa county?;)

+1,000,000,000

vandal
04-16-2009, 9:46 AM
+ 2,000,000,000

The grand jury applicant experiences are all too familiar. The last thing Walnut Creek wanted was for me to actually APPLY.

+1,000,000,000

sfpcservice
04-16-2009, 11:28 AM
+1,000,000,000

I'm guessing the COCO Grand Jury! Let em have it! :43:

yellowfin
04-16-2009, 11:33 AM
Can they hop over and look at Santa Clara?

shooting4life
04-16-2009, 11:38 AM
While they are in Santa Clara they can make a stop up here in San Mateo

infernalaanger
04-16-2009, 11:54 AM
Contra Costa Country Grand Jury

http://www.cc-courts.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=page.viewpage&pageid=4186

There is a .pdf complaint form here: http://www.cc-courts.org/_data/n_0003/resources/live/grandJuryComplaint.pdf

And should be sent here:
Foreman
Contra Costa Grand Jury
P.O. Box 911
Martinez, CA 94533-0091

Now the only problem, is that I haven't formally applied in Contra Costa County so I can't really give them any specific information, which I doubt would really inspire them to conduct an investigation...however if anyone has...please do so for the rest of us!

SgtDinosaur
04-16-2009, 12:03 PM
I think living here in Vallejo should be "good cause", but that's just me.

infernalaanger
04-16-2009, 12:07 PM
I think living here in Vallejo should be "good cause", but that's just me.

You are much more brave than I.

nicki
04-16-2009, 1:40 PM
I would be willing to meet with that Grand Jury and have a nice discussion on the ccw issue.

I can walk them through alot of the problems with the CCW process and how it is abused.

Could save them alot of time.

Nicki