PDA

View Full Version : Anyone run their Yugo m59 or m59/66 with detachable mags?

thefinger
04-16-2009, 2:35 AM
Do any of you guys run your Yugo m59 or m59/66 with detachable mags?

I remember(quite a while back) seeing a lot of excited posts about being able to do this since they are featurless and not considered an "SKS w/ detachable mag." But I haven't seen any pictures of people doing this with their rifles. I know there are places where you can get 10 round detachable mags, so why aren't more people doing this?

Or are you guys out there, and I just haven't seen your rigs yet? Anyone have a picture of their Yugo w/ detachable mag set-up?

Mssr. Eleganté
04-16-2009, 2:45 AM
There are two factors that stop most people from running a Yugo M59 or M59/66 with a detachable mag.

1. Many find it too risky legally. They don't want to have to convince the police or a jury that their rifle isn't really an SKS, when everbody in the gun world calls them SKS's.

2. They don't want to spend the money for all of the 922(r) compliance parts just to end up with a rifle that is more expensive and less reliable than a Saiga.

Right now, the only reason to run a Yugo M59 with a detachable mag is to make a political statement.

thefinger
04-16-2009, 3:12 AM
I don't see how an off-list sks is any different than any other off-list "assault weapon" in the eyes of law enforcement officers. That is perhaps, besides AR-15 clones, which have become widely recognized by LE as legal if mag-locked due to the recent bullet button memos and whatnot.

There are people out there running detachable mags on all types of relatively uncommon and scary-looking weapons. Do you really think its more risky to run detachable mags on a Yugo m59 than it is to do the same on a FAL clone, or a PSL clone, or a Galil clone, Saiga, etc.??

I think that at this point you'll win your court case if you get unlucky and an uneducated LEO arrests you for having a featureless build of any off-list clone. Might cost you some money, but you'll win.

The real gamble you're taking by having an evil-looking legal off-list rifle has everything to do with what the LEO on-scene thinks about it. I'm betting that if an LEO thinks a Yugo m59 w/ detachable mag is illegal, then he's probably also going to think a Saiga w/ detachable mag is illegal, and he's gonna think a grip-less AK w/ detachable mag is illegal, etc.

I really don't see how you can say that running a Yugo m59 with detachable mag is just a "political statement." That is-- unless owning every off-list rifle is just a political statement as well.

But I may be wrong. Maybe everyone feels the way you do and that's why I never see them. :shrug:

supersonic
04-16-2009, 6:21 AM
I don't see how an off-list sks is any different than any other off-list "assault weapon" in the eyes of law enforcement officers. That is perhaps, besides AR-15 clones, which have become widely recognized by LE as legal if mag-locked due to the recent bullet button memos and whatnot.

There are people out there running detachable mags on all types of relatively uncommon and scary-looking weapons. Do you really think its more risky to run detachable mags on a Yugo m59 than it is to do the same on a FAL clone, or a PSL clone, or a Galil clone, Saiga, etc.??

I think that at this point you'll win your court case if you get unlucky and an uneducated LEO arrests you for having a featureless build of any off-list clone. Might cost you some money, but you'll win.

The real gamble you're taking by having an evil-looking legal off-list rifle has everything to do with what the LEO on-scene thinks about it. I'm betting that if an LEO thinks a Yugo m59 w/ detachable mag is illegal, then he's probably also going to think a Saiga w/ detachable mag is illegal, and he's gonna think a grip-less AK w/ detachable mag is illegal, etc.

I really don't see how you can say that running a Yugo m59 with detachable mag is just a "political statement." That is-- unless owning every off-list rifle is just a political statement as well.

But I may be wrong. Maybe everyone feels the way you do and that's why I never see them. :shrug:

UM..............WOW.:hurray:

cdtx2001
04-16-2009, 7:23 AM
Is it true that troops issued wit an SKS were able to fire/reload and were able to keep up with guys with an AK with a 30rnd clip?

I just remember hearing that sometime a while back.

762cavalier
04-16-2009, 7:41 AM
2. They don't want to spend the money for all of the 922(r) compliance parts just to end up with a rifle that is more expensive and less reliable than a Saiga.

That's it right there.

Aftermarket detachable mags are less than reliable and you have to add too many parts to use them. Besides it is just as fast to load the existing fixed mag with stripper clips as it is to use detachable mags.;)

supersonic
04-16-2009, 7:58 AM
That's it right there.

Aftermarket detachable mags are less than reliable and you have to add too many parts to use them. Besides it is just as fast to load the existing fixed mag with stripper clips as it is to use detachable mags.;)

Yeah, I actually (in a DREAM) remember trying out those 10-rd mags from Triple K in my (long gone:() Tula and they were horrible. And that's an understatement. The "detatchable" SKS mags out there won't even feed a single round. (@ least that was the experience I had in that dream I had). I don't even know how these are still being sold. The SKS was designed to be fed w/ stripper clips into its proprietary fixed mag. When at the range, I would load my SKS with strippers and never once had a failure to feed issue. Utter reliability. It's when you start f**king with something in an attempt to make it function beyond its design capabilities that you find yourself pissing in the wind.;)

ohsmily
04-16-2009, 10:56 AM
Do you really think its more risky to run detachable mags on a Yugo m59 than it is to do the same on a FAL clone, or a PSL clone, or a Galil clone, Saiga, etc.??

Yes. Because the list says "SKS with detachable magazine" is a LISTED ASSAULT WEAPON. It is unique in that regard. There is nothing else on the list that is banned in that way.

If you put a detachable magazine on an otherwise featureless Russian or Chinese SKS, you have created an assault weapon. If you do it on a Yugo "SKS" it isn't an assault weapon because a Yugo "SKS" isn't actually an "SKS." However, everyone calls them SKSs and putting a detachable mag on it is riskier (risk of arrest, not conviction) than doing any of the other things you listed in your above post that I quoted.

Did you know this about SKSs?

ohsmily
04-16-2009, 10:57 AM
BTW, I have several 30 round duckbill SKS detachable magazines. I have tried them in my Chinese SKS OUT OF STATE, and they functioned 100%.

Gator Monroe
04-16-2009, 10:59 AM
Stripper clips are fast if you practice , and DC Engineering mags work as well as the Chinese Star 20 round Fixed mags ,not sure about Tapco mags .

BlackReef
04-16-2009, 12:20 PM
There are two factors that stop most people from running a Yugo M59 or M59/66 with a detachable mag.

1. Many find it too risky legally. They don't want to have to convince the police or a jury that their rifle isn't really an SKS, when everbody in the gun world calls them SKS's.

Right now, the only reason to run a Yugo M59 with a detachable mag is to make a political statement.

Or maybe....people just want to run Detachable Mags in their Yugo? :rolleyes:

I have a 59/66 and have thought about the modifying it to accept my prebans

It makes no sense to me whenever someone brings up a putting detachable mags on a 59/66, most of the replies are:

-It hurts reliability
-You can load faster with stripper clips
-Costs alot of $$

Who gives a f&*!? Its not YOUR rifle, its someone ELSES. They want to modify their rifle to accept Detachable Mags LEGALLY. He didn't come in here asking for Legal Advice.

No wonder some of the smarter folks have left CalGuns. This place has gone to ***** since I first came here.

Mssr. Eleganté
04-16-2009, 12:44 PM
Or maybe....people just want to run Detachable Mags in their Yugo? :rolleyes:

I have a 59/66 and have thought about the modifying it to accept my prebans

It makes no sense to me whenever someone brings up a putting detachable mags on a 59/66, most of the replies are:

-It hurts reliability
-You can load faster with stripper clips
-Costs alot of $$

Who gives a f&*!? Its not YOUR rifle, its someone ELSES. They want to modify their rifle to accept Detachable Mags LEGALLY. He didn't come in here asking for Legal Advice.

No wonder some of the smarter folks have left CalGuns. This place has gone to ***** since I first came here.

You are correct about the OP not coming here for legal advice. But did you read this part of his post?

...But I haven't seen any pictures of people doing this with their rifles. I know there are places where you can get 10 round detachable mags, so why aren't more people doing this?

So why do you think more people aren't doing this? Do you seriously think that people don't consider cost and reliablity and bogus legal fees when choosing mods for their firearms. Is it not appropriate to mention this fact when somebody asks about it?

When the OP asked us "why aren't more people doing this?" was the correct response, "Who gives a f&*!? Its not YOUR rifle, its someone ELSES."? Is that the response the smarter folks would have given?

supersonic
04-16-2009, 9:26 PM

I really hate to say it, but you put your foot in your own mouth just by POSTING!: YOU are still here, so I guess that puts you in here right with us "I.Q.-IMPAIRED"- "folks" (I really HATE that word) .;):cool: