PDA

View Full Version : Desert Shooting North of Barstow

maxmiller
04-16-2009, 1:19 AM
After having my Mosin Nagant M44 in the corner for a few months I decided to buy some surplus ammo and take her out to the desert. After looking at the BLM website, I headed north of Barstow to find a spot to shoot. I noticed on this forum that most are secretive in regard to the actual location in the desert in which they shoot. I am not sure why this is, so I will be specific: I took interstate 15 past Barstow, exited at ghost town rd, turned left, and then turned left at yermo cutoff rd. I drove a bit and shot into the large hill on the right hand side of the road.

I called the Barstow sheriff's office just to double check and the gal told me that I should be okay, and if a ranger or sheriff comes out just listen to what they say and I'll be fine.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3312/3447159872_d988a1f57d.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3570/3446343979_1daa62a1bc.jpg

I think next time I might just go to Lytle Creek to save the driving and hiking time......

JayRuff
04-16-2009, 1:28 AM
I wish I lived around BLM land, that looks like a nice place to shoot

nemisis1400
04-16-2009, 1:33 AM
Great now you just reminded me that I have a mosin that I need to take shooting. Well at least I now have a general idea of another place to go shooting. Now I just need a day free to go shooting.

justinLB
04-16-2009, 7:56 AM
Looks like you had a nice sunny day. I went to my cabin in Barstow 3 weeks ago on a Friday night and had PERFECT weather Friday and Saturday but when we woke up on Sunday there were 65mph winds.
Most people are very secretive about their shooting spots because their are a lot of people who simply don't clean up after themselves.

scott.cr
04-16-2009, 8:23 AM
Cool! I go up to BLM for shooting all the time. That's where I shot my Mosin for the first time. Went with my dad, and to be honest, it was really both of our first times out shooting a bolt-action centerfire. (Well, my dad fought in Vietnam, but he was trained on the M1 and fought with the M16A1. But that was in the early 70s so he was a bit rusty.)

Mosin's a good, fun rifle to shoot... it kicks hard, it's easily serviced at home, and it's cheap. Just like having an old car you love to drive: Do it for fun, but hope you don't someday have to drive it to work. ;-)

r8dr rider
04-16-2009, 11:55 AM
Theres alot of places out in Barstow and Victorville that are in the middle of nowhere that you can shoot. Ive talked with PDs in both areas and they dont have problems with people shooting, as long as your faraway from people and clean your mess. I usually 4x a few miles in, then take my quad a few miles more find a good berm and shoot away. Watch out for quads and dirt bikers, espiecially at this time. You dont wanna shoot them, cuz some might shoot back, like me.:83: :33:

Riodog
04-16-2009, 12:59 PM
Theres alot of places out in Barstow and Victorville that are in the middle of nowhere that you can shoot. Ive talked with PDs in both areas and they dont have problems with people shooting, as long as your faraway from people and clean your mess. I usually 4x a few miles in, then take my quad a few miles more find a good berm and shoot away. Watch out for quads and dirt bikers, espiecially at this time. You dont wanna shoot them, cuz some might shoot back, like me.:83: :33:

I don't think you want to shoot anything but a shotgun around Victorville. You might want to do some checking with SBCO.
Rio

BroncoBob
04-16-2009, 1:39 PM
I wish I lived around BLM land, that looks like a nice place to shoot

You do, Panoche Hills

thefurball
04-16-2009, 1:47 PM
Most people are very secretive about their shooting spots because their are a lot of people who simply don't clean up after themselves.

+1!!!

I get so sick of seeing everything from the kitchen sink to water heaters to beer cans drug out on to otherwise pristeen land, shot full of holes and left to rust.

If you take it out with you pick it up and drag it back when you are done.

easyeye
06-03-2009, 1:12 AM
Question for those who shoot in BLM land, do you just drive off the road to your designated area or you park next to a road then walk to your area? I know that AP and tracers are prohibited, but how about those military surplus ammo with steel jackets that are not really AP rounds? I'm kind of new here...thanks!

cgseanp1
06-03-2009, 2:26 AM
Question for those who shoot in BLM land, do you just drive off the road to your designated area or you park next to a road then walk to your area? I know that AP and tracers are prohibited, but how about those military surplus ammo with steel jackets that are not really AP rounds? I'm kind of new here...thanks!

Rifle AP rounds are not illegal, as far as I know.

Plisk
06-03-2009, 2:42 AM
I don't think you want to shoot anything but a shotgun around Victorville. You might want to do some checking with SBCO.
Rio

The rule I was told from the BLM office is that any BLM land south of the 58 freeway is shotguns only. It might be shotguns and pistols, but I know for a fact it's shotguns.

I go BLM shooting in a varity of different places, you can drive to places where you can shoot from your car (inside or out:thumbsup:) or you have to do a little bit of hiking from the road. BLM rules are basicly you have to be 150 yards away from any designated road while shooting, and shooting away from civilization which 99% of the time is the road in question. The times I've been BLM shooting and a Ranger has come up to us just checking on what we're doing, his only concern was tracers. He was fine with the steel core Mosin ammo I was running. This is why I only shoot tracers deep in BLM Death Valley where there is little to nothing to burn.

Agro
06-03-2009, 7:20 AM
My friends and I drive out to Barstow area and shoot on BLM land there. Never had an issue. I guess they have been going to this one piece of land for over 20 years, its perfect with cleared out of shrubs area to park an RV, huge hill as a back drop, staked out 50,100,150,200,250,300 yds, etc. I love shooting on BLM land.

Full Clip
06-03-2009, 9:33 AM
Going out on the 13th to BLM off Ft. Irwin road.
Great fun — and, yes, we clean up after ourselves.

kenjimatic
06-03-2009, 9:47 AM
Sounds like you had fun!

When I hear about desert shooting I always thought of a "designated" shooting area where theres like signs posted and so on but never thought of just simply shooting in the desert out of nowhere. It's good to know now because I go to Las Vegas like 2-3 times a year and pass through the desert all the time. My next trip to Las Vegas is the second week of July. I guess I should pack up some of my ammo and "toys" too, on my next trip. I'm still pretty new to this what does "BLM" stand for? Who and where can I find contact information on the legal issuses? If I was to go out and shoot in the desert(most likely in the Barstow area).

k0ncept
06-03-2009, 10:03 AM
BLM Website
http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en.html

OliveDrab
06-03-2009, 10:09 AM
In landers there's a ton of blm and a ton of nice hills to shoot into.

Landers is basically yucca valley

easyeye
06-03-2009, 11:29 AM
Sounds like you had fun!

When I hear about desert shooting I always thought of a "designated" shooting area where theres like signs posted and so on but never thought of just simply shooting in the desert out of nowhere. It's good to know now because I go to Las Vegas like 2-3 times a year and pass through the desert all the time. My next trip to Las Vegas is the second week of July. I guess I should pack up some of my ammo and "toys" too, on my next trip. I'm still pretty new to this what does "BLM" stand for? Who and where can I find contact information on the legal issuses? If I was to go out and shoot in the desert(most likely in the Barstow area).

yeah that's what I thought too, I'm glad that I have more options now.

socomIInato
06-03-2009, 2:02 PM
my desert :gene:shooting areas are classified top secret:euro:

maschronic
06-03-2009, 2:10 PM
my desert :gene:shooting areas are classified top secret:euro:

mine are too. i spent a lot of time driving around the area to find some locations. i have 2 great locations to shoot and camp out there. :thumbsup: