PDA

View Full Version : CCW totals for the years 1987-2007

KylaGWolf
04-15-2009, 10:10 PM
OK guys was doing some surfing and found some interesting stats on the number of CCWs by county.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/ccwissuances2007.pdf

AW registration stats by county

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/AWregstats.pdf

7x57
04-15-2009, 10:28 PM
LA county crushes the competition, obviously. Eat your heart out, SF.

7x57

bigcalidave
04-15-2009, 10:31 PM
I'm VERY surprised by how many people got RAWs. I feel special.

bigcalidave
04-15-2009, 10:46 PM
Are those CCW counts for NEW issues? or total holders? Confusing, since numbers for say, shasta county, would equal a larger percentage of the population than I would possibly believe.

lioneaglegriffin
04-15-2009, 11:22 PM

7x57

(tear)

N is for the way this state never cease to amaze me

O is for the oxygen you suck out of me

R is for the way you make me restless

D is for the Dems who will Sh*t their pants when the lawsuits come in

Y do you take so long to come

K is for how you drive me krazy

E is how you mean everything to me.

!

nick
04-15-2009, 11:39 PM
It's quite typical. Without going into more detail (such as, for example, the demographics of the CCWs. How many of them in L.A. County are judges, other civil servants, celebrities, etc.), it's interesting that when it comes to something that anyone could do at the time, that is, registering AWs, SoCal, being heavier populated, leads in those registrations by a large margin. When it comes to something that's up to the official discretion, Kern, Placer, Butte, etc. Counties apparently become the population centers :)

Knauga
04-16-2009, 7:24 AM
Having seen these numbers discussed elsewhere, they reflect the number of "standard 2 year CCW's" (regular folks) not judges or reserves, they are the total number issued in that year by the reporting county. Judicial and reserve CCW's are different length of terms and are reported to DOJ differently.

Now if you look at the CCW's and the AW numbers you'll notice in counties where there are VERY large amounts of CCW's there aren't that many "AW's", and just the opposite in areas where there are very few CCW's issued. I don't think it's because the folks with CCW's don't have "assault weapons". I think there are just tons of off the books AW's in those places. ;)

CAL.BAR
04-16-2009, 9:50 AM
31,000 CCW's in a state of 32 MILLION! That amounts to one tenth of one percent of the population (even with the stats from counties where it is possible/easier to get a CCW)

[insert your AB357 commentary here]

Barney Gumble
04-16-2009, 10:02 AM
I certainly wonder about "equal protection under the law" when the county I live in determines whether I can get a CCW permit.

timdps
04-16-2009, 11:15 AM
Thanks for posting that.

So there are around 50,000 RAWs in CA. I wonder how many of them (non-stolen) have been used in crimes? Any stats on crime use of RAWs?

I suspect the number is negligble, not unlike the number of legal NFAs used in crimes since 1934.

Tim

Librarian
04-16-2009, 1:11 PM
Thanks for posting that.

So there are around 50,000 RAWs in CA. I wonder how many of them (non-stolen) have been used in crimes? Any stats on crime use of RAWs?

I suspect the number is negligble, not unlike the number of legal NFAs used in crimes since 1934.

Tim

No stats, actually.

DOJ is supposed to report the kinds of guns used in crimes. I asked for the reports; turns out the Leg did not require local agencies to report to DOJ, so there is almost no info.

If we could get San Jose and LA County, City of LA to release their numbers, we'd have a pretty good sample. They don't put them on line anywhere.

KylaGWolf
04-16-2009, 9:32 PM
No stats, actually.

DOJ is supposed to report the kinds of guns used in crimes. I asked for the reports; turns out the Leg did not require local agencies to report to DOJ, so there is almost no info.

If we could get San Jose and LA County, City of LA to release their numbers, we'd have a pretty good sample. They don't put them on line anywhere.

Of course not since that would blow their argument out of the water that letting people have CCW's are a bad thing. When I found the stats last night I wasn't suprised to see that San Diego had number that pretty much did a downhill slope with a few minor raises. When you look at the numbers its really sad. Now I wish they would break those numbers down by demographics in general so it would show just how unfairly that CCW's are issued.

CCWFacts
04-16-2009, 9:37 PM
I think there are just tons of off the books AW's in those places. ;)

Yeah. Often without the person realizing it. We've all heard people say, "oh, the dealer said it's registered already when I bought it so I wouldn't have to register it. It's legal!"

If I had to guess, I would predict non-registered (illegal AWs) outnumber RAWs by at least 3-to-1 in this state.

Would be interesting, but as you say, the number is probably negligible. I would suspect the number is zero, excluding technical violations perhaps.

rips31
04-17-2009, 9:19 PM
bite me. that's only b/c we only have one (1) gun store in the entire city/county limits.

:p

7x57

Can'thavenuthingood
04-18-2009, 7:02 AM
No stats, actually.

I wonder if one of the 2A friendly politicians could access those numbers from each county?
It would be information needed in order to fashion new law.
Or repeal existing law.

Vick