View Full Version : Need help on what spotting scope to get.

04-15-2009, 8:35 PM
I just went to the range today and relize that I will need a spotting scope if I want to continue in this sport. Im thinking of entering some DCM matches, & want to pratice sighting in. I have not done much research on this yet, just wanted some advice from the horses mouth. Willing to spend up to $150.00 or less. What would I need to see my hits, say out to 300 & in.

04-15-2009, 9:30 PM
If you're going to shoot Traditional High Power Rifle (aka Across the Course), the only scope in that price range you should consider is the Konuspot 80 (20-60x80mm).

And you're not going to be able to see bullet holes at 300 yards except in the most ideal conditions (probably 1% of the time). That's what the spotting disc and scoring plugs are for when the target pullers tend to your target.

04-15-2009, 9:40 PM
My personal preference is getting a spotting scope with a ranging retilce. That said, I have a US Optics scope with a Gen 2 Mil Dot reticle. The scope is more scope than I need, but it is bullet proof.

04-15-2009, 9:46 PM
Ranging reticles aren't really useful for HP considering it's all known distance.

The primary criteria should be optical quality, 45 degree body, long eye relief, and good build quality.

I'm sure that US Optics spotting scope is a fine field scope, but HP shooters are better served with something like a Kowa (661, 771 or 82SV) or a Bushnell Elite (ED glass) with a 20/25/27x LER eyepiece on a good scope stand like the Creedmoor Sports Big Blue or Ray Vin.

rumble phish
04-15-2009, 11:14 PM
Here's my 2 cents worth of advice...

get one that you can see really, really far away with.

Okay, it was more like one cent.

Fine! I owe you a quarter! Jeesh!

04-16-2009, 7:14 AM
Take your $150 and put it in a box. Then when you have another $150, put that with your original $150 and get yourself something a little better. Glass is not cheap, and good glass is worth spending money on. Go to big 5 and look through a bunch of theirs and listen to the folks here. You may get some more help in the optics forum as well.

04-16-2009, 7:21 AM
Take your $150 and put it in a box. Then when you have another $150, put that with your original $150 and get yourself something a little better. Glass is not cheap, and good glass is worth spending money on.

I agree. I have a Leupold 15-30x60 Golden Ring spotter and it's still difficult to see .30 cal holes at 100 yards.

It is easier to see .30 cal holes @ 100 through my rifle scope, which is lower magnification (22x), but presumably better glass... a Nightforce 5.5-22x50.

I once looked at a target through my friend's Canon "L" series IS binoculars... 12x. But I could easily see the bullet holes. Maybe using both eyes had something to do with this.

Unfortunately I've never seen a "shoot" sponsored by an optics company where you could go to a range and look through several scopes to see which one you like!

Heck, I've been to a shoot like that with .50BMG rifles, don't see why a motivated retailer couldn't do the same with scopes.

04-16-2009, 8:17 AM

check out the leupold here...looks good

04-16-2009, 8:21 AM
I picked up a scope from Big5 that I can see 223 with at 100 yards for $94.

04-16-2009, 8:53 AM
i have the konus 80. works fine. but it does get a little hard to spot the small holes at 100 yds. cost me about $250. i'd invest in better glass for longer ranges. good thing i use shoot-n-c to help me further identify where shots are landing.

04-16-2009, 9:35 AM
Thanks for the advise. I'll keep researching & saving.

04-16-2009, 9:41 AM
I like Kowa.

04-18-2009, 9:45 PM
i met someone with a swarovski one time. wow... nice... but 2.5K i think though he got it on sale. he said the japanese glass like kowa and nikon (higher end nikon) is also very good, just not as good as swarovski and leica (or was it zeiss or both?).

but for budget purposes, just save a little more and use shoot-n-c. there's a good thread on konus in the optics sub-forum here. if i didn't have other toys/goodies to get, i woudl've easily gotten the kowa too. so i settled for now (and can be the wifey's spotting scope once i get her into rifling).

04-18-2009, 9:56 PM
I have a friend who is selling his brand new Burris 20X-50 compact spotting scope for $50. I have one just like that, you can see 30 cal holes for up to 200 yards on a clear day.
PM me if you are interested, I'll put you in contact with him.

4 Brigada
04-19-2009, 8:54 AM
I use a Kowa myself, excellent glass just as good as the europeans. But I also use a real less expensive bushnell , to read the rise or thermals.

Check Gunny out here he is a pretty cool guy and has some great deals on spotting scopes.

If you are going to get into NRA High Power or DCM a great site to visit and read.

04-19-2009, 9:13 PM
Although I've never seen one with an angled eyepiece, the older Bushnell Spacemasters are good spotters. These are the Spacemasters with the 60mm objective, not the 50mm objectives. I have two, one with a fixed 20 power and a 15-45x eyepiece.

I can see .22 caliber holes at 100 yards in most light conditions. Not sure about anything farther than that. I see them used on Ebay all the time in the $150 price range.

I was told the older Spacemasters made in Japan were made by Konus.

I had a Big5 Winchester spotting scope, 15-45X-60mm just like my Spacemaster, but the resolution was poor. Just wasn't as sharp and clear as the Spacemaster. You could see .22 holes at 100 yards, but couldn't see th edges of the holes, if that makes any sense.

Get the best glass you can afford.