PDA

View Full Version : Zip guns and AK manufacture

sanb909
04-15-2009, 7:55 PM
Are those who bend flats and build using AK parts (Romy's, AMDs, etc.) exposing themselves to zip gun or other charges?

I know the federal laws allow for gun manufacture for personal use, but do the CA laws have a narrower interpretation of what's kosher and what's not?

JeffM
04-15-2009, 7:59 PM
No. It's been covered. There's a sticky about it in the gunsmithing forum.

sanb909
04-16-2009, 1:50 AM
"A zip gun means a weapon or device made or altered to expel a projectile by the force of an explosion or other form of combustion which was not imported by a person licensed pursuant to federal law, not designed as a firearm by a manufacturer licensed pursuant to federal law and on which no federal tax was paid nor exemption from federal tax granted. (Penal Code 12020(c)(10).)"

If charged with zip gun manufacture, do you need to prove that the original importer of the chopped-up receiver and parts was licensed to import them?

Do Romanian gun manufacturers have a federal (US) license to produce guns?

I don't mean to be argumentative but I am curious to see how the above don't prohibit bending a flat and attaching Romy parts to it.

TheBundo
04-16-2009, 2:41 AM
So tampon guns are illegal?

colossians323
04-16-2009, 2:50 AM
So tampon guns are illegal?

Only one week a month;)

xxdabroxx
04-16-2009, 7:47 AM
i think a zip gun is more referring to a flashlight or other object that is transformed into a gun. Not something purpose built as a gun.

GuyW
04-16-2009, 8:07 AM
i think a zip gun is more referring to a flashlight or other object that is transformed into a gun. Not something purpose built as a gun.

Only as a federal question. See above posts for CA law.

DDT
04-16-2009, 8:12 AM
was not imported by a person licensed pursuant to federal law, not designed as a firearm by a manufacturer licensed pursuant to federal law and on which no federal tax was paid nor exemption from federal tax granted

To be a zip gun the firearm in question must meet all three criteria.
1)"not imported by a person licensed"
2)"not designed as a firearm by a manufacturer licensed"
3)"on which no federal tax was paid " (or exepmted)

It is the second point which people use to bend AK's do "80% builds" etc. If the gun you are building from scratch was "designed as a firearm by a manufacturer licensed" by feds you can build the gun yourself.

So, 1911 homebuild? AK bends? 80% AR's? All OK.

Gas pipe with a rubberband and a nail? Not OK

ke6guj
04-16-2009, 11:22 AM
To be a zip gun the firearm in question must meet all three criteria.
1)"not imported by a person licensed"
2)"not designed as a firearm by a manufacturer licensed"
3)"on which no federal tax was paid " (or exepmted)

It is the second point which people use to bend AK's do "80% builds" etc. If the gun you are building from scratch was "designed as a firearm by a manufacturer licensed" by feds you can build the gun yourself.

So, 1911 homebuild? AK bends? 80% AR's? All OK.

Gas pipe with a rubberband and a nail? Not OK

And part 3 may exempt all home-builders from the zip gun regulations, since we are exempt from paying excise taxes on home-built firearms. There is a current case where that out may surface.