PDA

View Full Version : Long Gun Transfer Questions

ColdDeadHands1
04-15-2009, 6:49 PM
I know this has been covered a lot, but I cannot find answers to my specific questions through the Search button.

1) I have an older 870 that I want to give to a good friend of mine (we are both CA residents). Can I just hand it to him or do I need to use an FFL?

2) My father wants to give me a rifle. Can he just hand it to me or do we need to send the DOJ any forms?

Thanks for the help!

Quiet
04-15-2009, 6:53 PM
1) Is the Remington Model 870 over 50 years old? If so, it is a C&R and can be transfered without a FFL dealer. If the Remington Model 870 is less than 50 years old, then it needs to be transfered though a FFL dealer.

2) Your dad (assuming he is a CA resident) hands you the rifle. No paperwork needed, no need to send in any forms to CA DOJ BOF.

rabagley
04-15-2009, 8:31 PM
2) If your father is also a CA resident, then he can hand you the rifle, no paperwork, no muss, no fuss. If your father is not a CA resident, the transfer must go through an FFL.

Vin496
04-15-2009, 8:50 PM
2) If your father is also a CA resident, then he can hand you the rifle, no paperwork, no muss, no fuss. If your father is not a CA resident, the transfer must go through an FFL.

The only reason it needs to go through a FFL is to abide to Federal Laws concerning interstate transfers of guns.

ColdDeadHands1
04-15-2009, 9:12 PM
The 870 is not more than 50 years old and my father is also a CA resident. Thanks for the replies.