View Full Version : Rattlecan Gription for mags

04-15-2009, 5:25 PM
AR15 magazine grip modification.
This in no way is a proper modification post, just figured I would share my 2c.

So if your cheap like me, you try to figure out ways to use things around the house for upgrades or modifications. Instead of buying Magpul rubbers or ranger plates I decided to use some paint I had to make my AR magazines have a little more grip to them. Some guys have used grip tape, I know Todd Nielsen from LMS Defense uses old bike tires, but I decided that I would use a rattle can.

So I took my Standard 30 round AR mag, did my 10/30 rivet modification that can be found here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=147553
then I painted with some OD green primer:

After the paint dried I used Rust-Oleum Multicolor Textured spray paint (color: Aged Iron) and painted the section that would be gripped the most when doing reloads etc.

After that dried I used a basic Flat black to cover the aged iron colorwhich is not necassary but I just liked the flat black color more. And this is the finished outcome:

04-15-2009, 5:28 PM
perhaps painting the entire mag flat black so it looks a little more uniform?

Looks good though!

04-15-2009, 5:28 PM
Next time maybe use black primer and it won't come out 2-tone. Unless you like that.

04-15-2009, 5:33 PM
thanks guys. I dont mind the two tone. I am not big on how my stuff looks, just how it performs. The only reason I chose the flat black over the aged iron was personal preferance.

04-15-2009, 8:30 PM
You might try the spray on truck bed liner. Leaves a grippy rubber like coating. You can change the texture depending on how close you are to the object you are spraying.
I used it on some beat up FAL handguards and it works well. You can also pain over it for color.

04-15-2009, 8:37 PM
you could add some strips of grip tape

04-15-2009, 8:57 PM
you could add some strips of grip tape

I use grip tape on m glocks and I love it, but I have used it on a AR15 mag and when the mag is sitting in a chest rig it tends to lead to premature wear, plus it usually leave grains of the tape everywhere. Some guys do it and like it, I am not knocking it, just not for me.

04-15-2009, 9:22 PM
Maybe try some wrinkle paint.