PDA

View Full Version : Lee Enfield info?

brianm767
04-15-2009, 2:54 PM
Thinking of picking up a .303 Enfield from a guy at work, I have not seen it yet, nor do I know any thing about these, What should I look for to identify it? I guess there are different Mark models? he states the metal and bore are good, stock could use a refinish , original, not sporterized, no cracks, asking $150

What do Enfields go for with decent metal, I know it's a broad question depending on model etc, but give me a ball park, ?

My son wants one each of the most popular WWII rifles, that's why I'm considering it.

drsteve
04-15-2009, 3:24 PM
If it is truly original with no missing parts; $150.00 is a fair price for an Enfield. Pay particular attention to the receiver and bolt numbers. Do they match? If they don't; have the headspace checked. If your son is going to shoot it, I would definitely have it checked out by a gunsmith whether the numbers match or not. JMHO Steve

mls343
04-15-2009, 3:38 PM
Lee Enfeilds have been in service for a long time. They were in sevice prior to WWI and were finally replaced by the FN-FAL in the '50's. Most of the WWII produced Lee Enfields were the Mark IV, which did not have the traditional "stubby" front sight that was common with most of the prior versions. The mark IV's from a collector perspective (well, mine anyway) are great to have for a representative piece, but are less desirable due to the production short cuts used during the war. Accuracy is always good and the rifle is plenty rugged, so you won't have to worry about shooting modern loaded .303's.

Anyway, if you have any additional informatin for me, I might be able to help you further.

Bottom line: Lee Enfields are good rifles and the earlier versions are a little more collectable than the WWII versions - with the exception of the Mark V Jungle carbine.

Cheers