View Full Version : Scope Mounting Question

04-15-2009, 12:13 PM
I have a Burris 2-7 Short Mag scope mounted on my AR-15. I orginally had it mounted on the receiver portion of my gun, but the eye relief was not comfortable and my cheek weld was too far back on the stock. I've found that the only way I can get enough eye relief is to mount the front ring on the quad rail and the rear ring on the receiver. In effect I'm bridging the gap between rail and receiver.

Do you guys think I'm going to have any issues with my scope mounted this way? The rails are very solid with no play or loose fittings, so I don't think it will effect my zero at all.

Thanks for the help

04-15-2009, 3:48 PM
It doesn't take much shift of the rail to change your zero - even a few thousandths of an inch will cause problems. However, a solid rail with the ring as close as possible to the barrel nut will tend to minimize shifting.

Best bet to avoid this is a one-piece mount that gives you forward offset while keeping the attachment on the receiver. The LaRue is one of the best, but is pricey.

Here's the Big List of AR15 one-piece mounts, including sections on rings and extended rails:

04-15-2009, 3:55 PM
Not advisable.

You will get scope shift when the gun gets warm.

04-15-2009, 5:09 PM
This did the trick for me.

04-15-2009, 5:38 PM
+1 to LaRue
I bought the LT-104. They say take it off/on and won't lose it's zero, but i have yet to see.

04-15-2009, 8:10 PM
You need a one piece cantilever mount - put it on your receiver rather than your handguard.