PDA

View Full Version : CCI Mini-Mag vs. Stinger in Marlin 795

jkchan83
04-15-2009, 12:05 PM
Please forgive if this is a dupe, but I did not find anything in my search.

I recently purchased a Marlin 795 and I love it. It is definitely more ammo-agnostic than my girlfriend's Ruger 10/22. However, as with every gun, it seems to have a preference for certain ammo.

I shot it today with 4 different loads and it liked the CCI Mini-Mag HV 40gr. Copper Round Nose and the CCI Stinger 32gr. Copper Hollow Points the best, with the Stingers just slightly better. (In other words, those 2 shot the tightest groupings and had no FTE's or FTF's.)

However, I read in the Marlin manual that the gun was designed for High-Velocity (not Hyper-Velocity) rounds. The Stingers are Hyper-Velocity rounds with a specification of 1640 fps (@ the muzzle) compared to 1235 fps for the Mini-Mags.

So, I turn to the Calguns collective wisdom:

1. Should I keep shooting Stingers out of my Marlin 795?

2. What kind of harm can I do to the firearm if I do?

3. Why does Marlin warn against Hyper-Velocity rounds?

4. Where can I find good prices for Mini-Mags or Stingers, depending on which one I end up choosing?

Thanks in advance.

otteray
04-15-2009, 1:06 PM
I actually saw a thread somewhere else (?) about this.
Some folks have shot the Hyper-Vel with no problems.
Common sense tells me that even though some folks know more than Marlin does and have been picking up some totally groovy, good vibrations about using it; I'll stick by the manufacturer's recommendations and keep all my fingers.
If you want to shoot the hotter ammo, get a rifle designed for it.

hylander
04-15-2009, 2:23 PM
1. Should I keep shooting Stingers out of my Marlin 795?
No

2. What kind of harm can I do to the firearm if I do?
It is taking a beating it was not designed for.
The Reciol Spring and Receiver was designed around a lighter shooting Cartridge.

3. Why does Marlin warn against Hyper-Velocity rounds?
See Answer #2

4. Where can I find good prices for Mini-Mags or Stingers, depending on which one I end up choosing?
Most Walmarts have both in stock

jkchan83
04-15-2009, 2:40 PM
@otteray & @hylander,

Thanks for the feedback. I think that you are right...to be safe, why risk it for marginally better performance?

Chunky_lover
04-15-2009, 6:50 PM
Good to know about what ammo it uses, thanks