PDA

View Full Version : Bill Seeking to End Gun Shows in California Moving Forward - NRA

Legasat
04-15-2009, 11:52 AM
Bill Seeking to End Gun Shows in California Moving Forward
Please Contact the Members of the Senate Appropriations Committee Today!

Yesterday, the Senate Public Safety Committee passed Senate Bill 585 by a vote of 4-2. The bill now heads to the Senate Appropriations Committee.

SB585, introduced by State Senator Mark Leno (D-3), would prohibit the sale of firearms and ammunition on the property or inside the buildings that comprise the Cow Palace. In short, SB585 is a stepping-stone to banning gun shows on any publicly-owned property in California.

Please contact the members of the Senate Appropriations Committee TODAY and respectfully urge them to oppose SB585 when it comes before them. Contact information for the committee can be found below.

State Senator Christine Kehoe (D-39), Chair
(916) 651-4039

State Senator Dave Cox (R-1), Vice-Chair
(916) 651-4001

State Senator Ellen Corbett (D-10)

(916) 651-4010

State Senator Jeff Denham (R-12)

(916) 651-4012

State Senator Mark DeSaulnier (D-7)

(916) 651-4007

State Senator Loni Hancock (D-9)
(916) 651-4009

State Senator Mark Leno (D-3)
(916) 651-4003
senator.leno@senate.ca.gov

State Senator Jenny Oropeza (D-28)

(916) 651-4028

State Senator George Runner (R-17)

(916) 651-4017

State Senator Mimi Walters (R-33)

(916) 651-4033

State Senator Lois Wolk (D-5)
(916) 651-4005

State Senator Mark Wyland (R-38)

(916) 651-4038

State Senator Leland Yee (D-8)
(916) 651-4008

bigcalidave
04-15-2009, 12:01 PM
Who cares? Gun shows here suck. If we aren't gonna change the other laws first, the gun shows will always be useless in Ca.

Legasat
04-15-2009, 12:10 PM
Who cares? Gun shows here suck. If we aren't gonna change the other laws first, the gun shows will always be useless in Ca.

LOL...Good point. I haven't been to gun show in 10 years. I went to the Del Mar gun show a couple of weeks ago, and I was STUNNED. Lots of accessories, lots of C&R's, one big ammo stand, but almost no current guns! What a change from when I used to go.

deleted by PC police
04-15-2009, 12:10 PM
Just goes to show it's not the gun show loop hole (which doesn't exist in CA) anti's care about it's about shutting down the gun show.

Vin496
04-15-2009, 12:13 PM

Gun show in California suck now, because little by little laws are passed that have allowed it to get to the point it is now.

Your attitude is exactly what the guys who make these laws up want. Who care if we can't have mags over 10 rounds, who cares if we can't have guns in certain colors, etc. etc..

See to most people those don't seem like outrageous laws, but then one day you wake up and have all the laws that make the gun owner/shooting experience in California almost impossible. If you ever go to other States and see(or remember) what a non issue it is to purchase a gun, you would be astonished at how fast things have declined in California in the last 15 years.

Besides what if by some broad stroke all those other laws get repealed, then don't complain that we don't have Gun Shows anymore, because at the time "Who Cares!"

bigcalidave
04-15-2009, 12:20 PM
No I care about plenty of stuff, and my attitude is in the right place, but getting rid of gun shows in their current state wouldn't affect me at all! And I was being a bit sarcastic with the comment. I also think that gun shows are pointless with the internet existing, unless you can buy GUNS there.

But anyways, I actually went to a gun show recently. And it sucked. I remember them from 10 years ago too, when there were GUNS at a GUN SHOW. There was NOTHING at the last "gun" show I went to. Bunch of crazy old guys dressed up like ww1 soldiers with their c&r POS stuff everywhere. Seriously? Nobody could bring anything cool. Nobody could sell anything cool. It was a waste of money and an hour of my life to go there.

bwiese
04-15-2009, 12:21 PM

And your complaining lack of engagement guarantees future continuation of suckage.

BTW, CA gunshows have vastly improved in the last 3 years - you should be seeing quite a few black rifles there!

xxdabroxx
04-15-2009, 12:24 PM
would this have any effect on Nordyke? or vice versa?

Seesm
04-15-2009, 12:28 PM
That is a dumb idea but in California my loved state nothing stupid EVER surprises me. So we just CALL all those people and tell them we oppose and wish them to do the same? Will they be receptive to my calls?

jrau13
04-15-2009, 12:33 PM
That is a dumb idea but in California my loved state nothing stupid EVER surprises me. So we just CALL all those people and tell them we oppose and wish them to do the same? Will they be receptive to my calls?

x2 and where do we find out what district we live in or who our rep is?

bigcalidave
04-15-2009, 12:35 PM
And your complaining lack of engagement guarantees future continuation of suckage.

BTW, CA gunshows have vastly improved in the last 3 years - you should be seeing quite a few black rifles there!

Nope. Not at the last one in Redding. There was ONE. No parts, no mags, no good accessories, I didn't see a thing there other than table upon table of c&r junk. And one local store brought a few of their modern handguns to show, but it was just typical stuff.

Trust me, I oppose any regulations like this, and will always send emails / vote against the people who support them. I just wanted to say that part first ;)

Legasat
04-15-2009, 12:36 PM
Not all of our State Senators have email addresses listed, but some do. I assume the format is the same for all.

Senator.(last name)@senate.ca.gov

Ex:
Senator.Yee@senate.ca.gov
Senator.wyland@senate.ca.gov

I am going to write them all.

Legasat
04-15-2009, 12:39 PM
here is link to all of the CA Senators.

http://www.senate.ca.gov/~newsen/senators/senators.htp

ETD1010
04-15-2009, 12:48 PM

Well, -I- care. Guns shows help us supplement income lost during slower times of the year. This whole crazy buying thing is NOT indefinite, and I'm trying to save up so we'll still be a store when the economy catches up to us.

jrau13
04-15-2009, 12:49 PM
here is link to all of the CA Senators.

http://www.senate.ca.gov/~newsen/senators/senators.htp

Thanks!
Here is the reps for the Costa Mesa, Huntington, Newport area. Dist 35
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h15/jrau/Picture1-2.png

CHS
04-15-2009, 12:56 PM
Trust me, I oppose any regulations like this, and will always send emails / vote against the people who support them. I just wanted to say that part first ;)

But you said you don't care. And then you defended yourself by repeating the fact that you don't care.

Now you care?

I don't get it.

Deadred7o7
04-15-2009, 1:09 PM
embrace the suckage

bigcalidave
04-15-2009, 1:12 PM
People here make everything a personal attack! Damn, lighten up.

Seesm
04-15-2009, 1:28 PM
Bill # SB585 was originally bill #AB2948 (originally authored last year and was shot down at that point)

MOST of the same people are still in there, so it will probably not happen but we should be asking Leno's office for a copy of the bill and show the support of opposition. (again as OP put his contact info)

State Senator Mark Leno (D-3)
(916) 651-4003
senator.leno@senate.ca.gov

I did just speak for 24 minutes with a person at the state capitol who was well thought out and thourough with his info seemed like a great person.

As I think some of us know (I just learned it) This IS NOT to ban all guns shows in California but to ban the one in the Cow Palace (which is a STATE owned facility)

I think what we REALLY need to do is make sure that the law makers (EVEN the ANTI's) learn about guns from clear and distinct people who can stay calm and explain the benefits and uses of guns.

They need to base laws more on true facts not on feelings and to just go with people who agree with them. They need to hear CLEAR from both sides and then make a EDUCATED decision at that point .

We all know that BAD GUYS and BAD GIRLS will always get guns no matter what. We need to show and teach the state officials why we all (GOOD PEOPLE) should be armed (EVEN THEM)

From what the person told me the calls he has gotten today so far where just like "Why are you trying to take our guns rights away"? (basically passionate and aggressive people) That is not bad but what we need is to stay calm and be on a level field with them while we talk.

If they know we are calm, cool and collected I suspect we may be able to make some headway.

He was a gun owner (not a shooter) through inheritence and has it for home protection... (btw he knew not much about gun laws but was open to learn)

We need to find support where we can within the state, I feel my talk may have helped us a little.

I say keep calling but stay on point and stay calm.

Do not beat me up as I hope I typed clear and you guys are cool with it.

If not beat me up in PM

Thanks guys and girls!!

stormy_clothing
04-15-2009, 2:02 PM
um except for the state is on the payroll of the tax payer and if were willing to frequent such businesses then they should be allowed.

the cow palace should have gun shows until someone offers them more more for something else, like any business.

Seesm
04-15-2009, 2:21 PM
Stormy I agree with this... Business is business.... I guess too many people NEAR the Cow Palace are former incarcerated people and they think they will temped to do crime cuz they see other people enjoying there LEGAL guns rights.

Hoop
04-15-2009, 2:47 PM

Gun shows here suck because of idiots who don't pay attention, don't vote/get involved, and then wonder how it all happened.

jasilva
04-15-2009, 3:54 PM
Nope. Not at the last one in Redding. There was ONE. No parts, no mags, no good accessories, I didn't see a thing there other than table upon table of c&r junk. And one local store brought a few of their modern handguns to show, but it was just typical stuff.

I'm shocked, a small worthless gun show in a BIG metropolis like Redding.:rolleyes:

Last two shows I went to in the Bay Area had plenty of everything(except ammo after the first 2 hours).

1BigPea
04-15-2009, 4:01 PM
No I care about plenty of stuff, and my attitude is in the right place, but getting rid of gun shows in their current state wouldn't affect me at all! And I was being a bit sarcastic with the comment. I also think that gun shows are pointless with the internet existing, unless you can buy GUNS there.

But anyways, I actually went to a gun show recently. And it sucked. I remember them from 10 years ago too, when there were GUNS at a GUN SHOW. There was NOTHING at the last "gun" show I went to. Bunch of crazy old guys dressed up like ww1 soldiers with their c&r POS stuff everywhere. Seriously? Nobody could bring anything cool. Nobody could sell anything cool. It was a waste of money and an hour of my life to go there.

^ It would affect a lot of people, so think of the bigger picture, or go to a better show other than Redding.

I bought my FIRST Black Rifle at a gunshow.

10fcp
04-15-2009, 6:15 PM
Congress.org home will have all your reps email and phone contact. I agree gun shows aren't the place to find the best deals but I still like going to the Cross roads shows. It's nice to roam around checking out stuff and there are some good deals. If you figure gas,parking and addmitance fee you need to find lots of deals to brake even.

Aegis
04-15-2009, 6:20 PM
Too bad these politicians can't focus on the real problems of this state. Just like that old fool state senator who made it his crusade to ban mylar balloons. What a waste of taxpayer money.

bigcalidave
04-15-2009, 6:24 PM
Don't want to... Bunch of wackos at gun shows buying machine guns in the parking lot in those big cities...

bwiese
04-15-2009, 6:30 PM
Don't want to... Bunch of wackos at gun shows buying machine guns in the parking lot in those big cities...

Where o where do you get that crap from?

Workin' for the Bradys?

movie zombie
04-15-2009, 6:30 PM
the battle is lost when calgunners don't/won't support local gun shows. don't blame it on the anti's when the shows no longer exist...and perhaps those put out of business because there are no more gun shows won't support legislation you do happen to care about.

mz

ps first they came for the gun show and i didn't care....

wellerjohn
04-15-2009, 6:55 PM
Damn, I just want to get the hell out of this nanny state.:chris:

Von Mikey
04-15-2009, 7:49 PM
I remember what gun shows used to be like here, I also have lived in other states so I know what we are all missing now. I go to the shows here just to support them and so my son can experience some of the culture of the 2nd amendment and the shooting sports. The antis want us to get the idea that our shows are not worth going to, to regulate all the fun out of shooting.

If we dont stand up to every attack on RTKBA culture in CA, shooting ranges and gun shops will become more and more on the fringes of society like a red light district. Instead of a place you can pass on the joy of shooting to the next generation of CA shooters.

KylaGWolf
04-15-2009, 8:10 PM
the battle is lost when calgunners don't/won't support local gun shows. don't blame it on the anti's when the shows no longer exist...and perhaps those put out of business because there are no more gun shows won't support legislation you do happen to care about.

mz

Very well put. I have to agree the gun shows here are not the best BUT they are better than absolutely nothing at all to go to. So I look at it like this anytime I can get something cheaper than I would otherwise do so I will do it. Besides by going to the gun shows we help promote Calguns :D

dexter9659
04-15-2009, 8:30 PM
*contacted my rep. Please follow suit.

barrykay
04-15-2009, 10:39 PM

Seems that all you and many other "Calguners" only care about are so called "black rifles" There is more to life then playing soldier boy:eek:

Gator Monroe
04-15-2009, 10:45 PM
CGN HAS LOTSA FAIL (I voted for Obama ,bla bla bla, , Gun shows suck here in California so who needs them ,bla bla bla, The Republican party has no vision and has got to go , bla bla bla, there are more important things than 2 A , bla bla bla ...

Nessal
04-15-2009, 10:47 PM
Gun show in California suck now, because little by little laws are passed that have allowed it to get to the point it is now.

Your attitude is exactly what the guys who make these laws up want. Who care if we can't have mags over 10 rounds, who cares if we can't have guns in certain colors, etc. etc..

See to most people those don't seem like outrageous laws, but then one day you wake up and have all the laws that make the gun owner/shooting experience in California almost impossible. If you ever go to other States and see(or remember) what a non issue it is to purchase a gun, you would be astonished at how fast things have declined in California in the last 15 years.

Besides what if by some broad stroke all those other laws get repealed, then don't complain that we don't have Gun Shows anymore, because at the time "Who Cares!"

Precisely. And the ones that complain about how much it "sucks" yet refuse to do anything about it amazes me. That attitude is nothing short of left wing whiners that I see on the news day in day out.

bwiese
04-15-2009, 10:48 PM
Seems that all you and many other "Calguners" only care about are so called "black rifles" There is more to life then playing soldier boy:eek:

MaryK, take your foot out of your mouth - use care, because it's apparently lodged in there sideways.

Simply stated: either you're incompetent or a Brady troll.

I and 99% of all Calgunners here are all for defending any and all firearms/ammo. If it's reliable and accurate, I want people to own them.

Last decade's ban on black rifles can easily turn into tomorrow's ban on 308 bolt rifles as "sniper rifles" - or turning Rem 870 pump guns into a new 'assault weapon' category. (That's already part of LCAV and other gun banners' plans: they just might let you have an over/under, though.)

If we fight at the black rifle level and keep the battle there it won't regress to supposedly "regular" guns - and we have a chance of moving forward. If we fight for bulk ammo sales, we won't be nickled & dimed for weird custom hunting ammo. If we fight for the separate right to hunt, we buttress the RKBA because the RKBA is way more than "about hunting". If we take down the Roster, cowboy guns don't get to be more privileged than unlisted 1911s because of the SASS sellout.

Having black rifles readily sold at gunshows ensures that you'll be able to have your cowboy and C&R guns too.

BTW, though I love ARs, I'm a revolver fan. Just ordered my new Lipsey's Ruger midsize flattop in 44Special.

Gator Monroe
04-15-2009, 10:50 PM
Precisely. And the ones that complain about how much it "sucks" yet refuse to do anything about it amazes me. That attitude is nothing short of left wing whiners that I see on the news day in day out.

There is a Social Progressive Democrat minority here at CGN and they need to get informed ,pronto !:sleeping:

bwiese
04-15-2009, 10:56 PM

mz

You got it babe!

Remember that Nordyke came out of a gunshow that many folks dismissed.

That great family - and their lawyer, Don Kilmer - continued the fight when more '"sane" parties would've thrown up their hands and instead invested the family money in, say, a ministorage facility or a drive-in.

Tillers_Rule
04-15-2009, 11:01 PM

Yea, and if you go to another state you'll be astonished that you can walk in, pay for a gun and walk out. No DOJ 10 say wait BS like we have here.

Then, you can go to the local range and bump-fire off a 30 round magazine:cool2:

yellowfin
04-15-2009, 11:03 PM
That great family - and their lawyer, Don Kilmer - continued the fight when more '"sane" parties would've thrown up their hands and instead invested the family money in, say, a ministorage facility or a drive-in. A big part of that of course being that Kilmer is a total badass. :thumbsup:

7x57
04-15-2009, 11:12 PM
I and 99% of all Calgunners here are all for defending any and all firearms/ammo. If it's reliable and accurate, I want people to own them.

Gee, Bill, what do you have against snubbies, pocket automatics and AKs?

7x57
04-15-2009, 11:15 PM
Y
That great family - and their lawyer, Don Kilmer - continued the fight when more '"sane" parties would've thrown up their hands and instead invested the family money in, say, a ministorage facility or a drive-in.

Somewhere, and it would have to be at the Nordyke dinner, someone mentioned Mrs. Nordyke leaving a copy of America's First Freedom in a courthouse waiting area. There's someone with plenty of fight left. :43:

7x57

bigcalidave
04-15-2009, 11:17 PM
Where o where do you get that crap from?

Workin' for the Bradys?

Lol, that one was a real joke Bill :) Hope nobody got offended. I went to the last crappy local gun show to support it too, and it was packed! Nothing to buy, but it was packed! I agree that 99% of cal guns members would support the actions being taken now to whatever extent they could. I think this place is the most useful and progressive forum I've ever seen. Realistically, if these court cases, lawsuits and legislative movements come to pass in our favor, calguns was a HUGE part in making it happen. Let's all work on not fighting amongst ourselves and keeping a good focus! Just for my insensitive comments about how lame gun shows are in cali, I'll be sure to write extra letters about this one, k?

bwiese
04-15-2009, 11:32 PM
Just for my insensitive comments about how lame gun shows are in cali, I'll be sure to write extra letters about this one, k?

Thanks, that's all we ask! Folks who don't act have no right to ***** :)

Oh - make sure you're squared away with the NRA, too. We have some good guys in Sacto working against incredible odds in enemy territory. The very fact we still have guns & gun stores in CA and that many of our gun laws are not nearly as bad as some of those NY/MD/MA is a credit to their work.

bigcalidave
04-15-2009, 11:44 PM
Joined a long time ago. Hope everyone took advantage of the recent free membership drive, more members = more power.

xxdabroxx
04-16-2009, 8:45 AM
If this did pass would a Nordyke win nullify it?

Gator Monroe
04-16-2009, 9:05 AM
CGN HAS LOTSA FAIL (I voted for Obama ,bla bla bla, , Gun shows suck here in California so who needs them ,bla bla bla, The Republican party has no vision and has got to go , bla bla bla, there are more important things than 2 A , bla bla bla ...

bUMP FOR EFFECT !:)

SVT_Fox
04-16-2009, 9:36 AM
this will force our for sale section to blow the **** up

Racefiend
04-16-2009, 11:31 AM
bUMP FOR EFFECT !:)

Do you have a word document with random anti-liberal comments that you just copy/paste from into threads? It seems that's all you've been doing lately in just about every thead you post in.

Maybe you should stop alienating people that might have some interest in the 2A. We need all the support we can get. Honest debate is one thing but talking **** gets you nowhere.

Lex Arma
04-16-2009, 3:56 PM
If this did pass would a Nordyke win nullify it?

It depends on:

1.) If we win.

2.) How we win. (First Amendment, Second Amendment, Combination, etc.)

3.) How long any further appeal takes by either side.