PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 Barrel recommendation?

tools2teach
04-15-2009, 10:37 AM
I am looking for a 16" barrel that is light in weight and is accurate? Anyone have recommendations? I currently have a stainless steel barrel that is too heavy to carry around. I am looking for a chromemoly, but is the weight difference that big to make the change over?

dchang0
04-15-2009, 11:53 AM
CMMG makes all sorts of different barrel profiles such as the lightweight, and they're reasonably accurate.

Or you could have Randall at AR15barrels cut your stainless barrel's profile down.

Yes, the barrel can make a huge difference in weight. Its steel is by far the heaviest material of the entire rifle.

Amacias805
04-15-2009, 12:02 PM
not to steal the tread, but i have a similar question, i was looking at getting a 20 inch barrel. and was curious as to the weight comparison of

20 chrome lined
20 in stainless
--------------
also how do the different sizes change the wieght (I.G. bull, heavy, government, spr, lightwieght, etc.)

mltrading
04-15-2009, 12:54 PM
If you are lucky enough, get a LMT standard 16" BBL. It shoots with tight group and it's pretty light. Also it's chrom-lined.

Clark_Kent_X
04-15-2009, 1:02 PM
what about the armalite AR15 barrel. are they good?

aplinker
04-15-2009, 2:12 PM
With the current situation you'd be much better off cutting down and profiling the SS barrel you have.

Lightweight in a 16" is just fine, but I wouldn't go lighter (and maybe a bit heavier) if I wanted to minimize heat causing POI changes.

tools2teach
04-15-2009, 2:35 PM
What do you guys think of RRA barrels? I know they make lightweight barrels, not sure of the quality though.

Jicko
04-15-2009, 2:38 PM
I love COLT's barrels.... :D

cmace22
04-15-2009, 2:48 PM
I asked the same question a while back for a recce build I was doing. Denny's barrels came up alot. They make a recon and a recce I believe.

RECCE556
04-15-2009, 2:51 PM
IMO...

Colt barrels = +1
Denny's = +1
LMT barrels = +1 or -1...I've seen both
CMMG barrels = -1
RRA barrels = -1
Armalight barrels = -1

Barrel material (SS vs. Carbon Steel) isn't what makes the real weight difference, It's the profile. As UCLAPlinker mentioned, I think it would be better for you to turn down your existing barrel rather than trying to find a replacement in the current climate.

Go with the standard Gov't profile or maybe a medium weight profile. I would only go with a slightly heavier profile (ala SOCOM) if you plan on running a lot of rounds in a short amount of time or plan on running a suppressor...

Monoz
04-15-2009, 2:57 PM
+1 on Noveske if you have the $$$

tools2teach
04-15-2009, 3:04 PM
I have a chance of getting a complete LMT MRP 16" Upper. I think I might pull the trigger on this one. Never held one before. What do you guys think of the weight and quality of the barrel?

Monoz
04-15-2009, 3:15 PM
I have a chance of getting a complete LMT MRP 16" Upper. I think I might pull the trigger on this one. Never held one before. What do you guys think of the weight and quality of the barrel?

LMT MRP barrels are good stuff. Mike Rock makes them, so I hear.

cmace22
04-15-2009, 3:15 PM
If I got the right price on an MRP I'd do it. LMT is good stuff and they back there products. Weight will prob be more than your standard 9-10" rail set up but not by much. I guess it depends on what you are going to be using the rifle for.

5aa12
04-15-2009, 3:34 PM
I love COLT's barrels.... :D

+1
I couldnt be happier with mine...

Arteel
04-15-2009, 4:10 PM
If you get a new one, sell me you old SS barrel. :)

I am looking for a 16" barrel that is light in weight and is accurate? Anyone have recommendations? I currently have a stainless steel barrel that is too heavy to carry around. I am looking for a chromemoly, but is the weight difference that big to make the change over?

the2thwizard
04-15-2009, 8:42 PM
BCM midlength barrel if you can get ahold of one. Great quality and can configure anyway you want to.

aplinker
04-15-2009, 10:44 PM
Bleh... gov't is the worst of all worlds for a profile. Put the weight under the handguard.

IMO...

Colt barrels = +1
Denny's = +1
LMT barrels = +1 or -1...I've seen both
CMMG barrels = -1
RRA barrels = -1
Armalight barrels = -1

Barrel material (SS vs. Carbon Steel) isn't what makes the real weight difference, It's the profile. As UCLAPlinker mentioned, I think it would be better for you to turn down your existing barrel rather than trying to find a replacement in the current climate.

Go with the standard Gov't profile or maybe a medium weight profile. I would only go with a slightly heavier profile (ala SOCOM) if you plan on running a lot of rounds in a short amount of time or plan on running a suppressor...

Pryde
04-15-2009, 11:20 PM
Colt barrels are what I mostly use, but bear in mind they are designed for reliability, not accuracy. Colt barrels have nice loose sloppy chambers which allow them to feed just about any round and run like a sewing machine.

The military guideline for acceptable accuracy from a Colt M4 barrel is like 3-4 inches at 100 yards.

If I were to pick any mass-market barrel as far as the best combination of accuracy, reliability and craftsmanship, I would most definitely choose a Sabre. Sabre has been manufacturing military barrels for years and all of their barrels are made with the proper steel, heat treated, relieved and are air gauged.

RECCE556
04-16-2009, 10:57 AM
Bleh... gov't is the worst of all worlds for a profile. Put the weight under the handguard.
I guess it really depends on your final configuration. After I put everything on the gun, I find that my M4's with 14.5" Gov't profile barrels balances the best. Also, finding a mid-weight under-the-handguard (UTHG? new acronym?) with a lightweight front end is impossible (I don't know anyone that makes one as a production barrel). So getting the weight of a 14.5" profile in the configuration you want would be a bit of a challenge...plus, like I said, once it's all configured out, you might find that the rear end of the gun is a bit heavy and doing followup shots might be a bit more challenging.

RECCE556
04-16-2009, 11:14 AM
Colt barrels are what I mostly use, but bear in mind they are designed for reliability, not accuracy. Colt barrels have nice loose sloppy chambers which allow them to feed just about any round and run like a sewing machine.

The military guideline for acceptable accuracy from a Colt M4 barrel is like 3-4 inches at 100 yards.
I've found that my Colt barrels can hold about 1" at 100 yards with good quality mil ammo when I mount some sort of high magnification optic. YMMV of course but I have yet to find a Colt barrel that shoots 3-4" at 100 yards (for a relatively new condition barrel...not something with 100K rounds on it)

If I were to pick any mass-market barrel as far as the best combination of accuracy, reliability and craftsmanship, I would most definitely choose a Sabre. Sabre has been manufacturing military barrels for years and all of their barrels are made with the proper steel, heat treated, relieved and are air gauged.I've had some bad rifling in Sabre barrels where it couldn't hold a group at all. OTH, I've never had a bad Colt barrel so I'm not a big Sabre fan...

The Bacon Eater
04-16-2009, 12:58 PM
I've found that my Colt barrels can hold about 1" at 100 yards with good quality mil ammo when I mount some sort of high magnification optic. YMMV of course but I have yet to find a Colt barrel that shoots 3-4" at 100 yards (for a relatively new condition barrel...not something with 100K rounds on it)

I've had some bad rifling in Sabre barrels where it couldn't hold a group at all. OTH, I've never had a bad Colt barrel so I'm not a big Sabre fan...

I have two colt m4socom barrels in my rifles and they shoot around 1-1.5" with ppu 75gr match and around 2-2.5" with m855. They are a little heavier but shoot well, so agree with what he said above. Im sure they can out shoot me, but that is the average that i shoot with them.

Pryde
04-16-2009, 8:27 PM

I never said that Colt barrels will all shoot 3-4 MOA. I run mostly Colt barrels and I typically can get them under 2 MOA with a KAC trigger and a good optic. I merely stated that the military guideline for accuracy is 3-4 MOA.

Dude, seriously I love Colt and most of my guns are Colt or Diemaco parts, but you seriously need to set down the kool-aid because I feel your Colt love is getting little out of hand. ;)

RECCE556
04-16-2009, 10:47 PM
...but you seriously need to set down the kool-aid because I feel your Colt love is getting little out of hand. ;)
Once you taste quality, it's hard to go back to drinking rusty faucet water. ;)

Blacktail 8541
04-17-2009, 7:26 AM
I have and have had numerous Colt barrels. While they are a good barrel I would take a Sabre Defence barrel over a Colt . They tend to shoot better and the quality is just as good.