PDA

View Full Version : M1A Front Sight Windage Adjustment -- extreme left

ripcurlksm
04-15-2009, 10:28 AM
The M1A front sight post has an allen screw to allow you to zero your windage.

I found that when zeroing my M1A Scout, I was shooting 12" to the left at 100 yards with variable 5-10MPH winds at Los Angeles Range from a rest. I had to move my front sight to the left a significant amount so it is maybe a 1/16th from the edge on the left side.

After making this adjustment I was in the black at 100 yards and hitting the steel at 200 yards which is all that matters, however I am curious if anyone else has had to make extreme left/right adjustments on their M1A front sight?

GM4spd
04-15-2009, 10:38 AM
Your barrel is improperly timed,another example of shoddy workmanship
by SA. I'm sure they would correct it if you send it back. They might tell
you that if it doesn't OVERHANG the dovetail it is within spec but still
looks like crap. Pete

Omega13device
04-15-2009, 10:38 AM
That seems extreme...is this a new rifle? I'm wondering if your barrel is indexed properly.

4 Brigada
04-15-2009, 11:59 AM
Try this AT THE RANGE zero your rear sight for windage and move your front sight until you can get it in the black, then see how far off it is that will tell you if your barrel is really far out of timing. OK dont shoot the messenger, I was out at the range once and the guy next to me was shooting his super secret agent seal commando SOCOM and had the same complaint then on the the next shot his front sight went flying. Brand new OOB

Nullzero
04-15-2009, 12:03 PM
Quality control must of went down hill in the last year (since they were rushing to push out as many M1As as possible).

ripcurlksm
04-15-2009, 12:12 PM
yes its a new rifle, maybe 200 rounds

4 Brigada, before moving the front sight, I had the rear sight zeroed at 100 yards at 8-10 clicks if I recall, maybe more

ripcurlksm
04-15-2009, 12:25 PM
Ok I just called Springfield, they say that it is normal and will shoot fine. They offered to have me send it in to be inspected...

I think I am going to wait it out a little longer and shoot it at longer ranges 300-500 and see how it pans out. I don't feel like waiting around for a month to have them just return it to me.

Should I keep shooting it and see how it goes or turn it in? The front sight is secure on the post, there is a little bit of room left so it is secure and wont fly off. Hmmmm....

4 Brigada
04-15-2009, 12:34 PM
your rear sight has index marks, right? how far to the left is the rear sight?from zero, not your shooting zero , the zero mark on the rear sight.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t155/4brigada/DSCF1119.jpg

ripcurlksm
04-15-2009, 12:59 PM
it was 8-10 clicks to the right of the index mark.

At 100 yards, before moving the front sight and with the rear sight set at the index mark, the point of impact was more than 12" left.

To correct this, I kept my rear sight at 0 and moved my front sight to the left gradually over 4 attempts/tests until it was 'on' at 100 yards. I then tried hitting steel at 200 yards (-1 elevation) and it was hitting. The end result was my front sight was to the left extreme.

ocabj
04-15-2009, 1:03 PM
If you're saying had the rear sight at mechanical zero and the front sight fairly centered and POI was 12" left of POA, that's not a big deal. That's why the front sight is adjustable. Just adjust the front sight and leave it that way.