PDA

View Full Version : PTR 91

chefdude
04-15-2009, 1:19 AM
does anyone have any experience with one of these PTR 91's? How is the accuracy and reliability?

NSR500
04-15-2009, 1:55 AM
The closest thing to an HK91 and a solid shooter. Mine take brass and steel cased ammo, and have never failed me.

sd1023x
04-15-2009, 7:15 AM
Yeah, you'll love it. Next best thing to a real HK. Fit finish excellent and mine has operated flawlessly. I have the ptr-91kp. If you have any specific questions, will answer

Regulus
04-15-2009, 7:31 AM
Next on my list. Will be getting one at the end of the year.

geeknow
04-15-2009, 7:34 AM
i have one too, and agree with pretty much everything that the posters above have said.

the only criticism that i could offer would be that this rifle seems to have more felt recoil than others in its 'class' (.30cal box fed semi-auto).

...having said that, buy one!!

sd1023x
04-15-2009, 7:45 AM
WHAT! What kind of stock do you have geeknow?

97F1504RAD
04-15-2009, 8:23 AM
The closest thing to an HK91 and a solid shooter. Mine take brass and steel cased ammo, and have never failed me.

What steel cased ammo do you use in yours? Also I assume this rifle will handle both .308 and 7.62x51 ammo correct?

MustangO4
04-15-2009, 8:42 AM
Had one, only gripes is you HAVE to get the trigger done, it sucks and the fluted chamber makes your reloads look funny.

97F1504RAD
04-15-2009, 8:55 AM
Had one, only gripes is you HAVE to get the trigger done, it sucks and the fluted chamber makes your reloads look funny.

Can you be a little more specific and give some details?

sd1023x
04-15-2009, 9:22 AM
My model:

http://www.kings-mountain.biz/American%20Rifleman%20PTR91K%20review1.htm

Trigger is heavy, 11lbs and some change.

Fluting just leave black lines lengthwise on the empty case. Some people say its hard to polish? I don't reload. http://www.fulton-armory.com/ReloadingThoughts.htm

If you guys are having problems with the recoil, the HK roller lock guns (from the mp-5 to g-3/hk-91) have what I call linear recoil impulse directly into your shoulder. When you fire the gun, only the bolt carrier moves and since mass is in line with the gun (ie no offset weight to torque gun like a M1A which has the cocking handle right so everytime you fire, it'll torque the gun slightly to the right) the gun has a smooth and consistent recoil. But to the take advantage of this, you need an HK collapsible stock or a choate side folder that is straight with the travel of the bolt carrier (similar recoil advantages you get in a AR system), because the fixed stock has a kink it and it'll naturally want to bring the muzzle up everytime you fire.

Thoughts? I know I did a horrible job explaining, but I'm ducking and diving at work writing this. So will write more if needed.

MustangO4
04-15-2009, 9:26 AM
Can you be a little more specific and give some details?

The trigger is heavy, creepy and just feels "lumpy" and inconsistent. It is an easy job to make it much better though by just polishing it up and there are folks that do the job with lighter springs for about $50.

The rifling goes into the chamber in HK rifles and it doesn't damage brass or make them non reloadable, but you have to full length size them. And they then have "stripes" from the fluting.

All in all a great gun and solid battle rifle, and I would not feel under-gunned having one, but if you want to make it a precision rifle, plan on a trigger job at least. I had it and an L1A1 that i did the "pepsi challenge" with, and the L1A1 was more accurate.

Sicarius
04-15-2009, 11:51 AM
Great gun. My only gripe is that I can't stand the navy lower which they all ship with now... I miss the metal lower with the contoured grip. I need to find one...
Kevin

NSR500
04-15-2009, 1:29 PM
What steel cased ammo do you use in yours? Also I assume this rifle will handle both .308 and 7.62x51 ammo correct?

.308 ammo pricing is so bad right now I've shot Wolf, Brown Bear, and Barnaul through the PTR. No problems for me...

Young Version
04-15-2009, 1:52 PM
Is it still possible to get one for close to $1000, or are those days gone?

PIRATE14
04-15-2009, 1:55 PM

Dealer price is above a K.....so ya those days are gone.....

Oh and we have one or two left at the SOCAL shop.....

nikonuser
04-15-2009, 2:08 PM
It will take some time getting used to the PTR91F if all you have shot is an AR. The charging handle is very stiff and the bolt does not lock open after the last shot and the trigger pull is heavy. Also get your shoulder in shape because that recoil will be a shock after your first round. I got my trigger adjusted by Bill Springfield at http://www.triggerwork.net/ and it made a big difference. Very cheap work too. I like my PTR91 because its accurate specially after getting a scope. It looks different to an AR so you will get lots of compliments.

Sicarius
04-15-2009, 3:09 PM
308 isn't that much more than 223 these days... so you don't have to feel so bad throwing big lead downrange.
Kevin

geeknow
04-15-2009, 3:42 PM
308 isn't that much more than 223 these days... so you don't have to feel so bad throwing big lead downrange.
Kevin

...quite possibly the funniest thing i've read all day

97F1504RAD
04-15-2009, 4:55 PM
I assume this rifle will handle both .308 and 7.62x51 ammo correct?

Barney Gumble
04-15-2009, 5:07 PM
I bought one used not too long ago with only a few hundred rounds on it and if you count the value of all the extra stuff I got with it, the rifle came out to around $1000. Deals are out there.

NSR500
04-15-2009, 5:31 PM
Yes, a newer PTR can take .308 and 7.62x51

97F1504RAD
04-15-2009, 6:30 PM
Thanks

cyphr02
04-15-2009, 6:34 PM
Are they still having the problems with the head-space fluctuating like they used to?

NSR500
04-15-2009, 6:58 PM
The headspace and tight chambers got taken care of that is why I mentioned "Newer PTRs".

the2thwizard
04-15-2009, 8:48 PM
I love my PTR's. If SHF that is the first gun I will grab in .308. I prefer them much more than my AR10's. Awesome shooters even without optics!

Sig357
04-15-2009, 9:19 PM
Great gun. My only gripe is that I can't stand the navy lower which they all ship with now... I miss the metal lower with the contoured grip. I need to find one...
Kevin

Contact Adam @ HKparts.net, that's where I got my metal lower.;)

a1fabweld
04-15-2009, 11:55 PM
After owning my first PTR, I bought another, then another, then another. Can't get enough of them! The PTR is by far the best shooting .308/7.62 rifle I have ever shot out of the box IMO. Mags are in the $5 range or cheaper. They are very reliable & built well. Every time I take someone to the range who has never shot one, they buy one. I have no problem with the factory trigger but your results may vary. Accuracy is amazing even with open sights. Apples for apples, I can shoot my bone stock 16" PTR more accurately than my best AR. I've put a few thousand rounds through mine without a single problem. Buy one without worry.

ghuff
06-16-2009, 10:56 PM
I don't mean to resurrect an old thread, but I have a question pertaining to purchasing a ptr91. I'm looking to buy a PTR 91 KPF from a site such a gunbroker and was wondering how the procedure goes down in regard to bulletbuttons. Do I give my FFL the bulletbutton in advance? Or is the FFL going to be able to even accept the rifle in the first place due to its lack thereof? I'm guessing that not the case since you folks obviously received yours, but if someone could chime in on how this works it would be greatly appreciated. Just don't want to get this started in the dark if you know what I mean.

NSR500
06-16-2009, 11:45 PM
The best way to do this is to use an intermediary FFL already supporting Californians. You'll have two options depending on your California receiving FFL and the Intermediary FFL.
Some FFL will ship and receive a "barreled receiver", while some want to ship and receive California configured.
The previously mentioned are your two options. Now if your FFLs want California configured, buy the Raddlock and send it to your Intermediary FFL, so your gun can be neutered.
If your FFLs will cooperate and work with a barreled action, you won't need to send out your Raddlock.
The best thing you can do for both your FFLs is to communicate with them both and make sure you're all on the same page.
The best thing you can do for yourself is find two FFLs that already work with each other.
Good Luck!

a1fabweld
06-17-2009, 3:36 AM
Buy your PTR from Paul Clack of Clacks Gun Works 601-594-3960. He's in Mississippi. He is a CA approved FFL & gets PTR's regularly in the $12-1300 range. He takes the trigger group & pistol grip off & ships it with the rifle. It's legal to come into CA that way. Myself & many of my friends have bought through him all with smooth transactions. I'd pass on the gunbroker deal for one of these. I did a gunbroker PTR a while back & had it sent to Freakshow as the middleman FFL. Long story short, Freakshow had my rifle for 2 months, did a crappy job of packaging the components & the rifle got a little beat up in transit.