View Full Version : Volq 10/22 ext mag release & extractor

04-15-2009, 12:04 AM
Just finished installing the new Volquartsen extractor and extended magazine release in my 10/22. I took this opportunity to SCOUR my rifle to like-new cleanliness and take a full inspection of everything. My Ruger is more than 11 years old, has several thousands of rounds through it, and the only thing that really showed any significant wear was the extractor itself-- one corner of the edge was slightly rounded, but probably enough to cause the occasional FTE issues it was having. The mag release is SUPER-nice...... why the heck did I bother with that stupid Ruger release for so many years?

I'm going to range-test the rifle with its new extractor here in a week or two and I'll report the results. I'll take my daughter out and between the two of us, we'll squeeze off 400-500 easy. Ordinarily, thats enough to get at least 20 to 30 FTE's using Federal bulk-pack lead, so I'm hoping this does the trick!

As far as ease of installation, both items were a very simple affair for anyone with even elementary experience. For the novice, plan about 30-45 minutes for a complete break-down of the rifle (don't disassemble the trigger assembly), a good cleaning, installation of your new parts, and reassembly. I opted to retain the Ruger extractor spring instead of using the Volq spring as the latter is a shorter spring and didn't feel nearly as resilient as the factory spring. Volquartsen's packaging says to use the factory spring when installing the extractor in a Mk II or Mk III, but I reccomend keeping the factory spring in the 10/22 as well--- unless yours is damaged (highly unlikely). Paid $12 for the extractor and $18 for the mag release from Midway, and both arrived on my porch in a matter of 3 days from order placement. For those not familiar with the extractor, don't be shocked when you see how TINY a piece $12 buys. ;)

04-15-2009, 1:38 AM
I installed the extractor in a couple of my 10/22's, does wonders for extraction issues.

04-15-2009, 1:38 AM
I am also curious on how the Volq extractor will perform. I plan on getting and installing one since I am going to replace the hammer, sear, bolt release, mag release and charging handle all at once. My 10/22 has probably had 500rds through it so the stock extractor is still in new condition and really doesnt need to be replaced right now but since Im going to do a rebuild I might as well replace it with the Volq hoping it will outlast a stock extractor.

04-15-2009, 2:01 AM
I have the Volquartsen extractor in my 10/22. It works wonders and makes my 10/22 less picky about ammo. After installation, my 10/22 will just about eat any HV ammo I feed it. :thumbsup: I used the Volquartsen supplied shorter spring with my installation.