PDA

View Full Version : M-12 question

MP301
04-14-2009, 11:48 PM
Does a legally purchased M-12 .380 (through an FFL many years ago) have a legal issue because it came with a threaded barrel?

Quiet
04-14-2009, 11:55 PM
Does a legally purchased M-12 .380 (through an FFL many years ago) have a legal issue because it came with a threaded barrel?

Yes.
It is considered an assault weapon. [12276.1(a)(4)(A)]

Penal Code 12276.1
(a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.
(B) A second handgrip.
(C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.
(D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.

MP301
04-15-2009, 12:06 AM
Hmmmmm. So, does that mean that if, as soon as the change in law took affect regarding threaded barrels, that one could hasve registered it as an assault weapon like folks did with the listed rifles - if they wanted to keep the barrel threaded?

Quiet
04-15-2009, 12:57 AM
Hmmmmm. So, does that mean that if, as soon as the change in law took affect regarding threaded barrels, that one could hasve registered it as an assault weapon like folks did with the listed rifles - if they wanted to keep the barrel threaded?

Yes.

However, if you remove the threads and it would no longer be considered an assault weapon.

MP301
04-29-2009, 6:13 PM
Would you know if a thead protector put over the threads would suffice? Would it have to be pinned, welded or could it be scured with a set screw?

Quiet
04-29-2009, 7:06 PM
Would you know if a thead protector put over the threads would suffice? Would it have to be pinned, welded or could it be scured with a set screw?

Yes.
I believe it has to be both pinned and welded in place.

CHS
04-29-2009, 7:30 PM
Just buy a replacement barrel without threads. They're common and inexpensive. Replace the current barrel with the new non-threaded barrel and keep the original for when the laws change back and threaded barrels are no longer an evil feature.

ViPER395
04-29-2009, 8:44 PM
You lost it ;)

MP301
04-29-2009, 10:13 PM
Just buy a replacement barrel without threads. They're common and inexpensive. Replace the current barrel with the new non-threaded barrel and keep the original for when the laws change back and threaded barrels are no longer an evil feature.

Yeah, that would be an option for the owner, but the problem is that by some stroke of luck, this particular cheapy pistol is as accurate as any stock pistol I have ever nseen. Wonders never cease!

Im thinking the barel change might affect that. Looks like the threads will have to go. Anybody have a link to any statute or case law that says the thread protector has to be pinned and welded?

Thanks all for your input!

CHS
04-29-2009, 11:00 PM
Yeah, that would be an option for the owner, but the problem is that by some stroke of luck, this particular cheapy pistol is as accurate as any stock pistol I have ever nseen. Wonders never cease!

Im thinking the barel change might affect that.

I doubt it would affect the accuracy at all.

BossHog
04-30-2009, 11:04 AM

I've got a thread protector for my old Cobray M-12 that you can have if you want it. I had the threads lathed before I sold it. I'll send you a PM.

Untamed1972
04-30-2009, 11:48 AM

Im thinking the barel change might affect that. Looks like the threads will have to go. Anybody have a link to any statute or case law that says the thread protector has to be pinned and welded?

Thanks all for your input!

but who's to say welding on the barrell wouldn't change the accuracy as well. heat distortion during welding is common in most metals of not done correctly.