PDA

View Full Version : talked to Huntington Beach LEO tonight about OLL

Bruce3
04-14-2009, 10:26 PM
so i chatted with some LEO from Huntington Beach tonight about OLL. i first asked them if they are familiar with AR-15 OLL and they said they were not. They said "what ever is in your house is not our business" i asked them how they determine a firearm to be an assault rifle. one of the LEO thought for minute and said "if your an upstanding citizen we have no problems with you". i got the feeling that if you have a clean record your more likely not to run into trouble with an OLL when it comes to the two officers i spoke to.

badicedog
04-14-2009, 11:13 PM
That's great, but it still leaves a huge gap for those of us that may not be so lucky and run into LEOs with a bad disposition towards ARs. In my experience a positive attitude is worth it's weight in gold in regards to LEO interactions, especially when firearms are involved.

Bizcuits
04-14-2009, 11:15 PM
Remember that doesn't reflect every Officers attitude or mood... Or the intention of their higher ups for that week.

"Captain said we need a big arrest this week, or look this guy has an AK"

Bruce3
04-14-2009, 11:17 PM
i know some one in HBPD so im going to try to get a bunch of OLL material together and try to have him circulate it in the department.

kmr1631
04-15-2009, 11:24 PM
Remember that doesn't reflect every Officers attitude or mood... Or the intention of their higher ups for that week.

"Captain said we need a big arrest this week, or look this guy has an AK"

Yes because the Captains are always coming to our briefings saying we need a "big arrest". :rolleyes:

Adub
04-15-2009, 11:52 PM
Definitely good to know I have some pretty cool hometown officers. I personally haven't had a run in with HB police since I have moved here 7 years ago and now that I am officially an AR owner, good to know they are cool with it as long as I keep the same track record as always.

Side note: Seems like hbpd's biggest concern is babysitting drunks. I am always out and about pretty late, and I have seen way too many idiots rightfully getting locked up for dui. The only other big thing i remember was the armed robbery of the liquor store across the street from me.

neomentat
04-16-2009, 7:22 AM
I know a bunch of officers from HBPD, which ones did you speak to?

biglou
04-16-2009, 8:22 AM
I keep reading all these posts about LE view of OLL's. Maybe someone here at CG can put together some OLL documents and write up a good educational article and submit it to PORAC. Or contact a PORAC writer and co-write a article. This might be the best way to educate alot of Ca. Officers at once. PORAC (Police Officers Research Association of California) is a monthly magazine that goes out to members of Police Officer Associations (cops union).

geeknow
04-16-2009, 9:44 AM
I keep reading all these posts about LE view of OLL's. Maybe someone here at CG can put together some OLL documents and write up a good educational article and submit it to PORAC. Or contact a PORAC writer and co-write a article. This might be the best way to educate alot of Ca. Officers at once. PORAC (Police Officers Research Association of California) is a monthly magazine that goes out to members of Police Officer Associations (cops union).

...that would be a great idea if the individual officers were allowed to educate themselves, but they arent. They are issued instructions by their dept heads, and these usually eminate from the city atty.

In an ideal world, this would mean that the city atty is charged with keeping the dept heads up to speed, and those same dept heads would be charged with disseminating that info to the rank and file officers.

This is not an ideal world, obviously.

What winds up happening is that the city atty usually advises them in that fashion which meets the political will of that city, and covers that city's rear end. The dept head puts his own spin on it and sends it down the line. What we wind up with is a group of fundamentally good people (the officers), who are given not enough instruction and turned loose. Rarely do they get the support they need to do the job they are tasked with. This is shameful. Inevitably, these same good people, likely fed up with the system that they swore to uphold do what they think is right and get burned for it every time. This breeds the "us vs them" mentality that does exist today.

Like I said, it is shameful, but I really see this as the way that it is.

7222 Hawker
04-16-2009, 9:20 PM
The SAC PD OLL flier has been floating around in a lot of jurisdictions. It is now fairly well known these things are quite legal. Most of the cops I know are buying OLL's themselves because the agency heads are reluctant to issue permission to buy letters.

Matt C
04-16-2009, 9:22 PM
I would not recommend these impromptu conversations with LE about EBRs. Too many ways it can go bad for you.

sickboy774
04-16-2009, 11:37 PM
I think that the nail the sticks out the most gets hit the hardest. I would rather keep OLL info to myself and not bother telling LEO's about it. My brother-in-law is PD and did not know about OLL. Nothing wrong with telling those you may know personally. But if you want to "educate" a department it may backfire. Remember that the cities they work for ultimately make the decisions as to what they want them to enforce. I don't want to sound pessimistic here but I really don't want to bring OLL's into the spot light and make it some politicians "golden ticket" for re-ellection.

WallyGeorge
04-16-2009, 11:50 PM
They said "what ever is in your house is not our business"

The cops were trying to say "STFU!!!" (hope this language doesn't offend) before you told them something you would regret, and they would have a duty to act on. Thats about the coolest group of LE I've heard about in awhile. :thumbsup:

Seesm
04-17-2009, 12:20 AM
Nah sound they were saying what they said, If your a upstanding citizen your good with us...

I think we DO need to educate LEO IMHO more and more.... Don't tell them what YOU have but what you have learned and are thinking about getting etc etc and what there ideas are and knowledge is etc etc.

cousinkix1953
04-17-2009, 12:34 AM
so i chatted with some LEO from Huntington Beach tonight about OLL. i first asked them if they are familiar with AR-15 OLL and they said they were not. They said "what ever is in your house is not our business" i asked them how they determine a firearm to be an assault rifle. one of the LEO thought for minute and said "if your an upstanding citizen we have no problems with you". i got the feeling that if you have a clean record your more likely not to run into trouble with an OLL when it comes to the two officers i spoke to.
This sounds like a friend of mine who got pulled over by the police in nor-Cal around 1985. Virtually the entire swing shift showed up in front of his house. Most of the Santa Cruz city police department had never seen a MAC-10 in those days except on TV. They got their first lesson about a bulky 9mm pistol, from a Sergeant right on the street.

Nobody got busted over that MAC-10 and it was returned about three days later. A cop, who knows nothing about OLL's is more likely to bust you for having a banned assault rifle in 2009. The LAPD even tried to make an assault rifle case over a Ruger 10/22, even though rimfires are not on the 1989 AWB list of 54 illegal weapons...

Bruce3
04-17-2009, 1:12 AM
one of the cops left the conversation by saying "Geez kid your making me nervous maybe i should run your name" jokingly. they were nice guys to talk to.

Ron-Solo
04-17-2009, 9:59 PM
I've been a cop for 30 years and have always loved firearms. I didn't learn about OLL's until last year. I just finished my 1st build since the 80's and am working on my 2nd. I have also built 8 others for friends, co-workers, and family. I encourage anyone interested to build an OLL in compliance with current law. Hopefully some day we can get the STUPID law changed.

The more we can educate local LEOs, without being confrontational, the better off we will be.

yzernie
04-18-2009, 8:30 PM
Remember that the cities they work for ultimately make the decisions as to what they want them to enforce.
Is this a serious comment? I allow my troops to make decisions because, for Christ's sake, we give them a badge and gun so I will allow them to do their job. I sometimes forget that many departments and their leaders don't have the balls to tell the city people to stay the hell out of our business. I guess I'm just lucky in that I work for a dept that (correctly) does just that.

Telperion
04-19-2009, 11:57 AM
How police react when the subject is discussed in the abstract may be worlds apart from how they react when they see your OLL in a traffic stop. Do not rely on, or assume anything, from these kinds of conversations.

i asked them how they determine a firearm to be an assault rifle. one of the LEO thought for minute and said "if your an upstanding citizen we have no problems with you"

Last time I checked, CPC 12276 was more complicated than that and made no mention of "upstanding citizens". Officer Friendly was admitting he does not know the law.

radioburning
04-19-2009, 6:21 PM
I work on photo shoots for a living, and by law a lot of the bigger shoots have to have LEO's there. I always chat with the guys throughout the day. Usually by the end of the day the more liberal people on the shoot will be freaked out because me and an LEO will be talking all kinds of stuff about guns.:43: You'd be surprised how many LEO's are up on the OLL thing. I still get emails from LEOs I've met on shoots going "hey this site has .223 on sale right now!".

lavgrunt
04-23-2009, 5:05 PM
Is this a serious comment? I allow my troops to make decisions because, for Christ's sake, we give them a badge and gun so I will allow them to do their job. I sometimes forget that many departments and their leaders don't have the balls to tell the city people to stay the hell out of our business. I guess I'm just lucky in that I work for a dept that (correctly) does just that.

.....HMMMMMM, you must work for SBSO........One of the best SO's in the country!!

GuyW
04-23-2009, 6:49 PM
Maybe someone here at CG can put together some OLL documents and write up a good educational article and submit it to PORAC. Or contact a PORAC writer and co-write a article. This might be the best way to educate alot of Ca. Officers at once. PORAC (Police Officers Research Association of California) is a monthly magazine that goes out to members of Police Officer Associations (cops union).

Remember that old T-shirt saying, "you have obviously confused me with someone who gives a $%^&"?

regarding citizens with guns and PORAC...that's might be somewhat close to the truth....

But really, PORAC is the enemy, just like the Bradys et al....