View Full Version : Buttstock question

04-14-2009, 9:29 PM
I'm expecting my 16" middy upper from the guy in a brown van anytime this week. So now I'm trying to decide on what buttstock to use. I'm thinking on getting an A1 stock from a surplus site but its just the stock, no buffer/tube/spring included. So I guess the question is, what type of buffer/spring should I use? can I use those that are designed for collapsible stock (carbine?) what about the buffer tube (extention?) is it a must to use the one desinged for A1?
Also, if I decide that I prefer the telescoping type stocks can I just get the stock and extention/buffer tube(?) and swap it with the existing spring and buffer?


04-14-2009, 9:37 PM
You need a rifle-length (A1/A2) receiver extension (buffer tube), rifle spring, and rifle buffer.

04-14-2009, 9:40 PM
For the A1 stock, you will need a regular/rifle buffer extension tube (has a screw hole at the back end of the tube for the top screw of the stock to hold the stock in place), a rifle length spring and a rifle buffer.

The buffer tube, spring and carbine buffer for a collapsible stock are different and cannot be interchanged.

04-15-2009, 6:04 AM
I've used Carbine spring/buffer with a spacer (i.e. 9mm spacer) on A1/A2 stock and seemed to work fine. If you're not sure of what stock to go with and don't want to buy another set of spring/buffer, this might work for you.

04-15-2009, 3:15 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. Reason I asked is because I was wondering if I can figure out a way to cut the A1 or A2 stock short enough to look like the RRA entry buttstock or a Sully stock. I think the RRA entry stock comes with a car/telescoping type spring/buffer. I figured if I mess up I can just get a folding stock and slap it in.