PDA

View Full Version : Shipping upper through USPS

Sinestr
04-14-2009, 9:55 PM
From what I can find in old posts it sounds like it's cool to ship an AR style upper through the postal service. Correct? :rolleyes:

rabagley
04-14-2009, 9:55 PM
Yes. It's not a firearm, it's just a part.

technique
04-14-2009, 9:56 PM
yup...I would say have it boxed up first. You never have to tell them whats inside unless declaring an international shipment.

Technical Ted
04-14-2009, 9:58 PM
"Machined parts"

Sinestr
04-14-2009, 10:01 PM
Thanks, I always feel better when some of the CG veterans confirm. I was lucky enough to score an upper I was looking for on GunBroker and wanted to make sure all was cool with shipping arrangements.

Mozzetti
04-14-2009, 10:03 PM
That is the only way I ship. I have shipped at least 35 uppers thru them in the last 6 to 8 weeks. I had one nosey postal lady ask me what was inside as I insured the upper for $700. I got pissed off and straight up told her it is a rifle barrel just to try to start a fight with because of her attitude.

She said we can't ship firearms. I told her it is not a firearm, it is a firearm part that does not fire anythiing. The supervisor was right there and backed me up and said completely fine to ship it. It is not a firearm.

USPS is a lot faster than UPS.

Mike

Sinestr
04-14-2009, 10:05 PM
That is the only way I ship. I have shipped at least 35 uppers thru them in the last 6 to 8 weeks. I had one nosey postal lady ask me what was inside as I insured the upper for $700. I got pissed off and straight up told her it is a rifle barrel just to try to start a fight with because of her attitude.

She said we can't ship firearms. I told her it is not a firearm, it is a firearm part that does not fire anythiing. The supervisor was right there and backed me up and said completely fine to ship it. It is not a firearm.

Mike

Right on, hopefully my transaction will go smoothly.

technique
04-14-2009, 10:10 PM

Mike

this is exactly why I box stuff up prior....( I know you did and she asked about it) It happened to me before also...I was unable to convince the lady, she was Indian and barley spoke any English.....I was SOL due to a language barrier and misunderstanding on her part about what firearms are...:rolleyes:

sonicbuff
04-14-2009, 10:16 PM
USPS usually ask if the content of the package hazardous or breakable/fragile. Your simple answer is "No".

That's all it takes.

If you happen to encounter a nosy one, you can simply tell them that the content is sport equipment.

jumbopanda
04-14-2009, 10:16 PM
Just don't use Parcel Post...I shipped an upper with Parcel Post and it took 12 days to arrive at its destination.

Mozzetti
04-14-2009, 10:31 PM
I ship in discrete blank boxes I don't want anyone at the post office or anyone ripping the upper off that ship even though they are insured they are hard to replace right now. She was just being nosey.

I always say no to all the questions, but in this case I wanted to slap it in her face cause I know what I am shipping is perfectly fine to do.

Parcel post (first class) might be slow, but everything I ship is Priority and is extremely fast. One day from SF area to Sac and Fresno, 2 days to LA. I ship everything the same day I get payment and I can ship until midnight any day of the week at the SF airport (used to be open 24 hours).

djm315
04-14-2009, 11:06 PM
It is completely legal to ship a long gun via USPS ,as most postal clerks think it is illegal , i challenged this after studying usps firearms regulations online on their site , went to the PO said i want to ship a complete rifle , he said no we cant i said yes you can, so after the pissing match i called for supervisors and showed them on their own website the USPS Firearms Shipping Regulations,
much to their surprise it was ok as long as it was not a handgun , i now ship only from USPS for long guns and all my parts also with no problems as all of the clerks have now been Properly Educated

djm315
04-14-2009, 11:07 PM
BTW no markings on the shipping cartons can say anything about "firearm"

p0verty
04-15-2009, 5:25 PM
Just pray you don't have MY mailman. Yesterday he left my new barrel at the wrong address! :mad:

Thank God I have honest neighbors.