PDA

View Full Version : AR Single Stage Trigger Safe?

Phil3
04-14-2009, 8:09 PM
I am very undecided on a single stage vs two stage trigger in my AR15 and AR-10 I am building. But one thing that has me concerned is that I have read, more than once, that a single stage in the AR can be unsafe due to the AR design. I don't know enough about it to know one way or the other. Something about minimal creep requiring dangerously small sear engagement.

Thoughts on this? I think I would probably prefer single stage for my bench rest target shooting, and was looking to get the JP Rifles Fire Control Kit. But, with mentions of safety concerns, now I am not so sure.

- Phil

rabagley
04-14-2009, 8:58 PM
That's silly. You've talked to a two-stage zealot. The Remington 700 trigger on hundreds of thousands of rifles is a single stage trigger.

Neither one is objectively better than the other. It's all up to what works best for you and how you've learned to shoot.

Amacias805
04-14-2009, 9:10 PM
yeah i've never heard of a one stage trigger being "unsafe"...

that being said. i like 2 stage triggers. to me, it feels a lot smother when trying to shoot either in semi, or for groupings. but like rabagley said, some people actually prefer single stage trigger. some people pay premium prices for single stage triggers.

Phil3
04-14-2009, 9:33 PM
That's silly. You've talked to a two-stage zealot. The Remington 700 trigger on hundreds of thousands of rifles is a single stage trigger.

Neither one is objectively better than the other. It's all up to what works best for you and how you've learned to shoot.

From White Oak Precision

http://www.whiteoakprecision.com/info-faq.htm#singlestage

The issue is being potentially unsafe in an AR15, due to the design of that rifle. This does not apply to bolt guns.

- Phil

SP1200
04-14-2009, 10:10 PM
If it good enough for our troops, then it's good enough!

Spend that money one more receivers and parts kits.
2 stage triggers and special optics won't be banned soon!

After your weapons are banned, you will have the rest of your life to "trick them out"

aplinker
04-15-2009, 1:01 AM

You're missing the differences in how bolt guns are built from an AR and in how they're used.

2-stages are safer for extreme trigger pulls, but I wouldn't hesitate to use a 3+lb single stage.

If it good enough for our troops, then it's good enough!

Spend that money one more receivers and parts kits.
2 stage triggers and special optics won't be banned soon!

After your weapons are banned, you will have the rest of your life to "trick them out"

You do realize SPRs, DMRs, etc. use 2-stage triggers, right? The ammo is the limiting factory for the typical M4/M16. When you upgrade that you can definitely improve accuracy with an improved trigger.

rabagley
04-15-2009, 9:34 AM
You're missing the differences in how bolt guns are built from an AR and in how they're used.

2-stages are safer for extreme trigger pulls, but I wouldn't hesitate to use a 3+lb single stage.

Okay. I can see that. If you're running around with a loaded AR that has an extremely light trigger, the single stage probably isn't all that smart.

I suppose that I'm used to Glock safeties: if there's a round in the chamber and you pull the trigger, expect the gun to fire. Trusting mechanical safeties to prevent AD/ND just gives me the willies.

Also, as you said, it seems like a pretty specialized case. I like to set my single-stage triggers to break at 2.5-3lbs and two-stage triggers for 1lb + 2.5-3lbs. I can see the trigger assembly engaging the safety in my AR w/ single stage trigger and I'm fairly confident that it will do.