PDA

View Full Version : Registered Assault Weapon question

bootcamp
04-14-2009, 7:59 PM
Ok, I have a friend of a friend who owns a fully registered assault weapon ak and he wants to leave the country. Ultimately he wants away from this rifle. He wants to rid his name from this rifle completely.

I told him let me demill it for parts and we saw the receiver into multiple pieces. His concern is his name is still registered as having an assault weapon. I suggested we demill it for parts and take his receiver and paperwork and bury it in his backyard. He wasnt sold and ultimately just wants his name removed from being listed as having an assault weapon.

My third suggestion was to demill it and officially surrender the stripped and damaged receiver to the police dept. His fear is he would be questioned as to where the rest of the rifle was and he didnt want to deal with it. He is of retirement age and just want to retire back to his home.

What do you guys suggest? Ultimately i want the rest of the rifle minus the lower and he ultimately wants to be done with the rifle.

biglou
04-14-2009, 8:04 PM
I'm guessing your friend lives in Cali. Demill it without damaging the receiver and then sell the receiver out of state. You may be able to put it on Gun Broker. Just make sure the receiver is transferred thru a FFL.

mrkubota
04-14-2009, 8:07 PM
I'm guessing your friend lives in Cali. Demill it without damaging the receiver and then sell the receiver out of state. You may be able to put it on Gun Broker. Just make sure the receiver is transferred thru a FFL.

You must go through an authorized 'assault weapon' FFL in CA to transfer it from here. Otherwise, he can take it personally to an out-of-state dealer and do the transfer there

edwardm
04-14-2009, 8:39 PM
See 11 CCR 5473. My link-fu is weak today, but you can pull the section for him at http://www.oal.ca.gov.

Condensed version: He can voluntarily de-register the AW once it 'goes away' and have the registration and his name permanently deleted from the AW database (assuming he owns no other registered AW's).

Ok, I have a friend of a friend who owns a fully registered assault weapon ak and he wants to leave the country. Ultimately he wants away from this rifle. He wants to rid his name from this rifle completely.

I told him let me demill it for parts and we saw the receiver into multiple pieces. His concern is his name is still registered as having an assault weapon. I suggested we demill it for parts and take his receiver and paperwork and bury it in his backyard. He wasnt sold and ultimately just wants his name removed from being listed as having an assault weapon.

My third suggestion was to demill it and officially surrender the stripped and damaged receiver to the police dept. His fear is he would be questioned as to where the rest of the rifle was and he didnt want to deal with it. He is of retirement age and just want to retire back to his home.

What do you guys suggest? Ultimately i want the rest of the rifle minus the lower and he ultimately wants to be done with the rifle.

bwiese
04-14-2009, 11:30 PM
He's silly for unregistering it. He might want it again.

There is no reason to be ashamed or worried about continuing to have an AW registered in one's name.

We need all the reg'd AWs out there as "occupational therapy" for DOJ.

He can store it safely whereever (esp out of CA), move away, then move back and bring it back into CA with him.

CA AW & 50BMG registrations do not cancel/expire just because a person moves away for awhile; they are not tied to state citizenship or driver's license (except at moment of original registration).

You should not be encouraging him to do this just to get an AK parts kit; plenty of 'em out there for you to get.

When someone destroys a reg'd CA AW, Gawd kills an ammo vendor as well as a kitten.

truthseeker
04-15-2009, 5:54 AM
????? Maybe put the parts in the car and take it to Reno this weekend and try to sell it?

bootcamp
04-15-2009, 1:16 PM
Thanks guys, I think unregistering it might work.

Seesm
04-15-2009, 3:06 PM
Bootcamp read below Bill makes nothing but sense... You can get ak parts all day long... help teach your friend not try to get his stuff....

There is no reason to be ashamed or worried about continuing to have an AW registered in one's name.

He can store it safely whereever (esp out of CA), move away, then move back and bring it back into CA with him.

CA AW & 50BMG registrations do not cancel/expire just because a person moves away for awhile; they are not tied to state citizenship or driver's license (except at moment of original registration).

You should not be encouraging him to do this just to get an AK parts kit; plenty of 'em out there for you to get.

When someone destroys a reg'd CA AW, Gawd kills an ammo vendor as well as a kitten.

QuarterBoreGunner
04-15-2009, 3:22 PM

Sad but true... think of the ammo vendors... and the kittens.

triggerhappy
04-15-2009, 8:02 PM

Bill,

You response here is one of the many reasons you are so respected on this board. Excellent advice. :)