PDA

View Full Version : CAL Legal AR-15

zzall1967
04-14-2009, 8:36 PM
Hello, this is my first post, so any and all info I can get would be very helpful in regards to building a CAL Legal AR-15. If there are any lawyers on this forum and can say what I'm doing is legal or illegal would be also helpful. I'm going to list the parts that I plan on using and if there is any question about it conforming to the California Dept of Justice laws please let me know. First I'm going with the 6.8mm round, because I already have a Ruger mini 14 in 223/5.56mm. I like the extra stopping power in that caliber.

Stag Arms 5.56 Stripped Lower Receiver.

Rock River Arms 6.8 SPC CAR A2 Upper Half

The Stag Arms Lower Parts Kit

Stag Arms Tactical Stock Kit

The weapon will have a pistol grip and flash suppressor

Ten round clip with bullet button installed

Said weapon configured should be around 31 inches in length with tactical stock pushed in.

Any and all replies are welcome.

cmace22
04-14-2009, 8:39 PM
Sounds good to me. Sights/optics at all. Also i think stag makes a 6.8 marked lower.

dieselpower
04-14-2009, 9:14 PM
its all good.

ohsmily
04-14-2009, 9:14 PM
http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

Any and all replies are welcome.

And it is a MAGAZINE, not a CLIP.

http://000buck.d2g.com/firearms/thereisadifference2.jpg

rc50cal
04-14-2009, 11:25 PM
Your configuration is California compliant as long as your lower isn't listed. If you want true legal advice, that will cost you.

joelogic
04-14-2009, 11:32 PM
Dont bother with 6.8spc, My favorite line is 80% BC of .308 @ 30% felt recoil for twice the price. Factory ammo is $1 a round and hard to find. I reload and it is still about $.40 a round after buying brass at $.50 a piece. I dont mean to rain on your parade but even if you are rich you wont find the ammo to practice with. Build a SDMR in .223 or buy a FAL.

maxd
04-15-2009, 12:40 AM
Dont bother with 6.8spc, My favorite line is 80% BC of .308 @ 30% felt recoil for twice the price. Factory ammo is $1 a round and hard to find. I reload and it is still about $.40 a round after buying brass at $.50 a piece. I dont mean to rain on your parade but even if you are rich you wont find the ammo to practice with. Build a SDMR in .223 or buy a FAL.

I agree with Joelogic. I too like the stopping power of 6.8 but it's just too expensive to shoot and hard to find. Unless of course you're in to sniping stuff where you only shoot 10 to 20 rounds for practice otherwise it could get quite $$$.

While on the subject, I recently watched a "Future Weapons" show where it was about the KAC's PDW with 6x35mm 65 Grain bullet that would go through armor and then some. I checked Hornaday's website and it seems to be a custom made round for KAC.
I know there is a 6mm Remington though not sure what's the length of it. So here are my questions:
1- Any idea how much is that round?
2- Is it possible to hand load it?
3- Can any of the pistol manufacturers we know on CalGun make us such pistol and how much and all that good stuff.

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

aplinker
04-15-2009, 2:23 AM
You should spend some time reading through 1st post listed in my signature below.