PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 10/22 Opinions

sigfan
04-14-2009, 3:16 PM
I recently got bit by the rimfire bug and have been tricking out my 1984 ruger 10/22. Along with other things, I've installed a boyds Evo stock and Green Mountain Fluted Bull barrel. Now here's the thing that's been bugging me. With the take down screw completely tight, There's some vertical play between the receiver and stock. Not much but noticeable to me. Is this normal or should I attempt to bed the stock? If bedding is the answer, what do you guys recommend? I was thinking of using Devcon. Thanks for your help.

hylander
04-14-2009, 5:25 PM
Sounds like it needs Bedded, if the Barrel is free floated, you need to Bed the first couple of inches of it.

kermit
04-16-2009, 8:05 PM
Does the receiver fit the stock snugly? It could be that the takedown scew is too long and needs to be shortened a bit, or try adding a washer before putting the screw into the stock to take up some of the slack.

If the fit is not too snug, then bedding would be the way to go.

X-NewYawker
04-16-2009, 10:47 PM
Does the receiver fit the stock snugly? It could be that the takedown scew is too long and needs to be shortened a bit, or try adding a washer before putting the screw into the stock to take up some of the slack.

If the fit is not too snug, then bedding would be the way to go.

and then cut a 1/2 inch square of the "soft" side of velcro and put in stock channel just before the end of the fore end

HotRod9mm
04-17-2009, 6:16 AM
.....There's some vertical play between the receiver and stock.......
100% normal for a Boyds stock. I've owned several over the years and
it is the way they inlet there stocks.

.......should I attempt to bed the stock?.......
Unfortunately that is the only way to fix the cheap Boyd's stock

......... what do you guys recommend?......
I've done several and I don't know why but in the end I always get the
adjustable 10/22 bedding kit from Rimfire Technologies (https://www.rimfiretechnologies.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ABK001). Once you do the
first stock you end up bedding everyone you ever purchase. The
improvement in group size is just increditable, even using a stock barrel.

I would also get one of their take down screws. That way once you find the
ammo and the "sweet" spot torque setting, it makes it easy to repete the
torque setting on the screw.

:cool: