PDA

View Full Version : What savage .308 model should i get?

dakinejb
04-14-2009, 4:07 PM
I have narrowed it down to three I think. How good or bad is the 11fcxp3 its a package with a cheap scope for about $500 and some change. I have heard great things about the 10fp but also heard the stock sucks about $700. And I love the look of the 10 precision carbines about $800. I am just going to be shooting at the range unless some poop goes down then it will be for protection. Any advice is appreciated.

Pilot
04-14-2009, 4:08 PM
i dont know anything about savage rifles but ive heard a lot of great things about .308 remington 700 series rifles for around your price range. sorry i couldnt help with your selections.

rksimple
04-14-2009, 4:12 PM
Get the one that says "Remington 700" on the side.

In all seriousness, you need to evaluate what type of shooting you envision doing. To how far do you want to shoot? What type of accuracy are you going for? Competitions in your future?

If its going to be a range gun, get the heavier barrel. Savages are like tinker toys so you can change most things at will.

addiction
04-14-2009, 4:18 PM
I have narrowed it down to three I think. How good or bad is the 11fcxp3 its a package with a cheap scope for about $500 and some change. I have heard great things about the 10fp but also heard the stock sucks about $700. And I love the look of the 10 precision carbines about $800. I am just going to be shooting at the range unless some poop goes down then it will be for protection. Any advice is appreciated.

I bought the Savange Scout in .308, I love it. it is light weight so you can carry it around if needed, it takes real mags, and if you go to sharp shooter supply you can get an extended mag with room for 9 rounds,

So shooting paper is good, and you only reload every 9 rounds, and if it is for protection, 9 is nice to have.

maybe not for everyone, but fit my needs.

Jim

slappomatt
04-14-2009, 4:41 PM
I have a remington 700P and I wish I had bought a Savage. I have done/ had done just about everything you can do to a gun to accurize it short of changing the stock which I will probably do next.

The savages are something you can work on yourself. Including changing barrels. their bolts have floating heads that you can change calibers on AND its inherantly more accurate. I had a coworker with a target savage in .223 that would shoot circles around my remington.

if it where me (and I realise you arent me) I would get the new F class in 6mmBR and be stoked!

as for getting it in .308 if its for targets get the heaviest one they have. after a long day at the range your shoulder will thank you. And it will be easier to spot your own hits through the scope.

ETA dont forget optics! when it comes to target shooting, plan to spend more on the scope than the rifle. sometimes by alot!

MAX100
04-14-2009, 5:34 PM
Take a look at the post I did on the NEW Savage 10FCP-K with AccuStock, excellent rifle and offers a lot for the money. It has the 10FCP HS Precision stock model in it also which is a great rifle. Those are the two I would choose from if I were you.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=173162

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii299/MAX100/SAV10AS-14.jpg

GC

Twinspool
04-14-2009, 5:36 PM
My brother's 700 in .223 is a nice gun but I bought a Savage and prefer it. Guess what rifle my brother is buying next after shooting mine?

GrizzAwoken
04-14-2009, 5:44 PM
How do the Tikka compare to the savages?

MAX100
04-14-2009, 5:50 PM
How do the Tikka compare to the savages?

The Tikka T3 varmint is a very good rifle. Excellent out of box accuracy, nice adj trigger and they are known for their very smooth action. You can't go wrong with one.

The 10FCP Savage rifles offer more for the money and also have excellent out of box accuracy.

GC

MikeinnLA
04-14-2009, 6:34 PM
My brother's 700 in .223 is a nice gun but I bought a Savage and prefer it. Guess what rifle my brother is buying next after shooting mine?

Which Savage do you have?

Mike

rp55
04-14-2009, 6:50 PM
As you said, the only downside to the Savage 10fp is the Tupperware stock. I put a B&C Medalist on mine and it is my favorite rifle now. However, after reading Max's post on the 10FCP-K I am already thinking about one.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j302/rpwhite55/guns/fp10-resize.jpg

tmuller
04-15-2009, 9:29 AM
I have a 10fcp and I love it. It shoots well too(100yrds is the furthest so far)...
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc43/tmullersd/Savage008.jpg

SCMA-1
04-15-2009, 9:43 AM
I got my Savage 110FP for $340 in the early 90's; not sure why they are selling for $700+ nowadays?:confused: Regardless, it's an excellent rifle and shoots a single ragged hole with loads it likes if I do my part. As others have said, the included stock is barely adequate; I put mine in a Choate "Ultimate Sniper" stock and am real happy with the setup.

SCMA-1

dakinejb
04-15-2009, 11:01 AM
Well thanks to the nice write up by MAX100 the 10fcp-k will be in my paws in 11 days. Thanks for all the input.

pat4wd
04-15-2009, 11:22 AM
I just picked one of the accustock models as well.. I am very interested to see how it shoots back to back with my SPS tactical.. I my best 5 shot 200 yard group with it has been 1.13" .. I was going to have a brake put on the sps but say this and though what the heck.. Looks like it will be fun

And Max100 has a good deal going there guys..

MAX100
04-15-2009, 1:38 PM
I just picked one of the accustock models as well.. I am very interested to see how it shoots back to back with my SPS tactical.. I my best 5 shot 200 yard group with it has been 1.13" .. I was going to have a brake put on the sps but say this and though what the heck.. Looks like it will be fun

Well thanks to the nice write up by MAX100 the 10fcp-k will be in my paws in 11 days. Thanks for all the input.

Let us know how they shoot. I think I am going to go with a 10FCP-K in 223 for myself because I already have several rifles in 308. It will be a couple of weeks before I try it out.

The Karsten adj cheek piece and a Hi Cap mag from Sharp Shooter Supply would be some nice editions to the new Savage.

GC

pat4wd
04-15-2009, 1:42 PM
I

Let us know how they shoot. I think I am going to go with a a 10FCP-K in 223 for myself because I already have several rifles in 308. It will be a couple of weeks before I try it out.

The Karsten adj cheek piece and a Hi Cap mag from Sharp Shooter Supply would be some nice editions to the new Savage.

GC

I plan on it.. it will be a couple weeks for me also with the ca gun jail time:D

dfletcher
04-15-2009, 2:07 PM
I bought one of these a few years ago in 300 WSM, you can get it in 308. I like the wood and the shape of the stock, very good trigger and the usual Savage accuracy.

http://www.savagearms.com/12bvss.htm

Bug Splat
04-15-2009, 4:37 PM
Savage spanks the Rem in price and in maintenance. The Savage plastic stocks suck beans but I never met anyone who planned on keeping it. Most replace it with another. The ability to swap barrels and bolt faces at home is a major plus for me. Your options are endless. My savage shoots just as well or sometimes better than my Rem buddies. When their barrels burn out its off to the gunsmith. When mine do I just order a new one online and replace it in minutes at home. I'm in the process of converting my 223 gun into a 6.5 Creedmoor.

slappomatt
04-15-2009, 6:29 PM
Thats whats so great about savage. The amount of modularty in their design. I need to get one of their target actions and mess around with it.

Prc329
04-15-2009, 9:12 PM
I owned a Savage 10FP but as I got more serious about long range stuff I felt it was limiting my growth and moved to a 700 and customized to completely.

Czechsix
04-15-2009, 10:17 PM
I've got a 10FP, out of the box, tupperware stock, 168 Federals - .7 MOA rifle. Even with a crappy stock, that ain't bad.

MAX100
04-16-2009, 1:16 AM
The Savage rifles shoot well even with the plastic pillar bedded stock. With the AccuStock it should shoot even better and more consistent.

GC

SDJim
04-16-2009, 7:32 AM
If your already planning on swapping out the trigger and getting new furniture, have you considered a Stevens Model. Same receiver and floating bolt as a Savage, old style trigger, crappy stock, decent barrel.
Swap out the trigger and upgrade the stock and you'll be way under the cost of the upper grade Savage.
I'll check to see if I can find the article where a guy bought a Stevens and made changes to build himself a tack driver.

pat4wd
04-16-2009, 2:11 PM
Take a look at the post I did on the NEW Savage 10FCP-K with AccuStock, excellent rifle and offers a lot for the money. It has the 10FCP HS Precision stock model in it also which is a great rifle. Those are the two I would choose from if I were you.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=173162

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii299/MAX100/SAV10AS-14.jpg

GC

What is a good picatiny scope mount for this rifle? I figure I will get one coming since I have a few days before I shoot it while it is in CA gun jail

Is it a round back or a flat.. Looks from the pics a round..

MAX100
04-16-2009, 2:21 PM
The EGW 20 moa aluminum one piece base is hard to beat in price and quality. They run $42. I use them on all of my rifles. You you don't find any in stock @ MidWay USA you can order them directly from EGW.

I have some also and shipping will run $3 to CA, $45 shipped.

GC

pat4wd
04-16-2009, 2:57 PM
Is it the round back? How do I pay you?

MAX100
04-16-2009, 4:02 PM
Is it the round back? How do I pay you?

It's round back and fits the AccuTrigger receivers. Give me an email.

GC