PDA

View Full Version : Volquartsen accurizing kit for Ruger MarkIII

XeRoFuN
04-14-2009, 11:17 AM
https://www.volquartsen.com/products/281-accurizing-kit-for-ruger-mkiimkiii

I want to improve the trigger on the Ruger MarkIII Hunter I'm going to pick up next week, but wanted to know if anyone installed the whole kit in their gun. I have been reading that most people just install the sear and trigger because the target hammer makes for soft strikes. Should I just buy the sear and trigger instead? What else is a must? The exact edge extractor, disconnector...? Thanks.

BOFH
04-14-2009, 3:20 PM
I have the full kit in our MKIII Hunter and like it a lot, no problems at all. The trigger is just how I wanted it :thumbsup: I think the VQ extractor is money well spent, but I would pass on the disconnector.

RudyN
04-14-2009, 4:39 PM
That looks good for my MKIII, however, how hard is it to install or would you consider it a Gunsmith project?

checkenbach
04-14-2009, 5:11 PM
I put the whole kit in my MK III Slabside, along with a grip, and it transformed the gun intoa poor man's match pistol!!! It's a little more invloved than a complete field strip, but you can get info of the net(Bullseye) to help.
DO IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hylander
04-14-2009, 5:19 PM
Good Choice :cool: I pick up my MKIII Compitition next week as well :)
No need to spend money on the whole Kit or the Disconnector.
Just get the Trigger and Sear, You will be pleased :thumbsup:
Exact Edge extractor is money well spent as well.
No need for a Smith, if you are mechanical inclined, it is a DIY project.

XeRoFuN
04-14-2009, 9:20 PM
Thanks guys. Got the VQ sear, trigger, and extractor.

I wanted to remove the mag disconnect, but it's not a must have thing....just an annoyance during field stripping. MKII hammers cannot be purchased and only VQ makes the target hammer. I read you can remove the mag disconnect yourself with washers, but I don't seem to have all the tools (wire cutters, tool to lessen the outside diameter of the second washer, etc.).

hylander
04-15-2009, 6:17 AM
Thanks guys. Got the VQ sear, trigger, and extractor.

I wanted to remove the mag disconnect, but it's not a must have thing....just an annoyance during field stripping. MKII hammers cannot be purchased and only VQ makes the target hammer. I read you can remove the mag disconnect yourself with washers, but I don't seem to have all the tools (wire cutters, tool to lessen the outside diameter of the second washer, etc.).

If you are near Sac. your welcome to use my Drill Press and files to make the Washers for the Mag Disconnect Mod.
I have to make some for my New MKIII as well.

XeRoFuN
04-15-2009, 8:15 AM
If you are near Sac. your welcome to use my Drill Press and files to make the Washers for the Mag Disconnect Mod.

Thanks man, but I'm in Socal. If you make some extra, I'll pay for it. :thumbsup:

Gary13
04-15-2009, 9:25 AM

May have to make a special trip to meet you some time. You always seem to offering help. My mom lives in Lincoln at Sun City so one of these times I will have to come by and say hi. I am waiting on a 22/45 that I have on DROS, should pick it up next week. Then I will have to look into these mods.

hylander
04-15-2009, 1:27 PM
May have to make a special trip to meet you some time. You always seem to offering help. My mom lives in Lincoln at Sun City so one of these times I will have to come by and say hi. I am waiting on a 22/45 that I have on DROS, should pick it up next week. Then I will have to look into these mods.

Give me Holer when your up this way :thumbsup:

hylander
04-15-2009, 1:28 PM
Thanks man, but I'm in Socal. If you make some extra, I'll pay for it. :thumbsup:

I'll see if I can whip up a second set, won't be for a week or two.

XeRoFuN
04-15-2009, 1:58 PM
I'll see if I can whip up a second set, won't be for a week or two.

Alright. Thanks. I'm actually going to try to make one myself with what tools I do have (a dremel with various cutting wheels and sanding discs). I may be able to make one that isn't so clean as in the guide by Bullseye.

EDIT:

Found out that I can just use an oversized or regular MKII hammer bushing on the MKIII hammer and be done with it.
http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=634

wellfedirishman
04-16-2009, 2:04 AM
If you just get the VQ sear (about $15-20 at midwayusa) you can get 90% of the benefit of the accurizing kit.

I purchased a VQ sear for my Ruger MK II, installed it, and now have a superb trigger pull on it. Total cost was under $20.

Installing it is not hard, just a bit of a pain with the little plunger that goes into the safeth. Install this part inside a big ziplock bag or similar so if it goes flying (it will at least once) you will find it easily.