PDA

View Full Version : Obtaining an ffl

sava6e
04-14-2009, 12:06 PM
Im sure this has been asked before, i have done research and yet still feel a bit confused, do you have to have a store front to get your license?

halifax
04-14-2009, 1:03 PM
Im sure this has been asked before, i have done research and yet still feel a bit confused, do you have to have a store front to get your license?

If your local ordinances allow it, you don't need a store front.

Here is one of the many threads on the subject. (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=170343)

remington
04-14-2009, 2:30 PM
Ditto on halifax.

rbetts
04-14-2009, 3:16 PM
Check with your City or County if you are unincorporated. I am in Sac County where it is OK to have a Firearms Business run from home. There are rules and regs to follow, but it can be done and done successfully. Took me 2 Mos from start to first Sale and good deal of paperwork, in a chronological order. Be prepared to spend a few hundred here and there several times to bring it about.

One more thing. . .don't waste your money on buying an "FFL Kit" the websites and their claims are bogus. Just follow the steps, being very meticulous about filling everything out and you'll be OK

Good Luck!

http://www.goldenstatetactical.com

stormy_clothing
04-14-2009, 3:40 PM
be well prepared and maintain any weapons in your possession in accordance with the law. You'll be visited by any number of agencies at some point and it is critical to keep that in mind that the IRS can and will visit you along with the ATF, DOJ, Sheriffs office local police highway patrol and DHS among others, fire dept, county people ect ect ect. If the forestry service shows up I wouldn't be surprised there seems to be not alot of places people can't go regarding firearms.

Make sure you have proper storage and safety for all firearms and black powder ect at all times.

It's not hard from what I've been told from friends it's just hard not to fall into bad habits.

FortCourageArmory
04-14-2009, 11:41 PM
It's probably a local office thing (I am under the Los Angeles area office), but my ATF agent that did my FTF interview was keenly interested that I have a storefront. I had the impression that if I didn't have one, I was SOL. She also wanted to hear that I was getting an FFL for a "profit motive"....meaning I was going to do it to make money not just augment my personal collection.

glockwise2000
04-17-2009, 12:16 AM
It's probably a local office thing (I am under the Los Angeles area office), but my ATF agent that did my FTF interview was keenly interested that I have a storefront. I had the impression that if I didn't have one, I was SOL. She also wanted to hear that I was getting an FFL for a "profit motive"....meaning I was going to do it to make money not just augment my personal collection.

So you mean, a storefront is not required in LA to get an 01 FFL?

FortCourageArmory
04-17-2009, 10:29 PM
So you mean, a storefront is not required in LA to get an 01 FFL?
Just the opposite. I said the AFT agent was keenly (VERY) interested that I had a storefront and if I sisn't have one I would be S*** Out of Luck! Storefront and in the business to make a profit at it were the two things she looked like she wanted to hear.

glockwise2000
04-18-2009, 12:40 PM
So that would means that someone needs to pay for 6 to 8 months of lease or rent before anyone can sell. I believe that it takes 3-4 months for the ATF then another 3-4 months for CADOJ.

Red Tape.

garandguy10
04-18-2009, 1:29 PM
The BATFE is very aware of all the locals rules and regulations of the cities in their area. If your local regs forbid home based fire arms sales, then you will need a licensed retail store front to get a 01FFL.

OCArmory
04-18-2009, 7:54 PM
I paid rent for 6 months before all my permits were in order. I found the easiest way to navigate my city permits was to physically go to city hall and talk directly with their business licensing dept. The county on the other didn't know what I need so it was harder to make sure i had everything. And remember if you are planning on selling second hand stuff you will need a state and local second hand dealers permit if applicable.
Mike

Amacias805
04-20-2009, 12:56 PM
so lets say if you wanted to open one, you would need the store front first, since FFLs are good for a single Location. but would you be able to sell ammo, and other accessory first, while the FFL got approved?

FortCourageArmory
04-21-2009, 1:37 AM
so lets say if you wanted to open one, you would need the store front first, since FFLs are good for a single Location. but would you be able to sell ammo, and other accessory first, while the FFL got approved?
Yes, as long as you has a CA Resale License and probably a local business license.

Amacias805
04-22-2009, 11:40 AM
i've heard that one of the requirements of obtaining an FFl is having a 100k insurance bond, is this true or FUD?

also would you need separt zoning for a gun shop with a indoor range for pistols? how about rifles

rbetts
04-23-2009, 1:34 AM
i've heard that one of the requirements of obtaining an FFl is having a 100k insurance bond, is this true or FUD?

also would you need separt zoning for a gun shop with a indoor range for pistols? how about rifles

:fud:

Unless required by a local county or city

rbetts
04-23-2009, 1:36 AM
I have a couple extra Application packages if anyone is interested.

PM me and we can figure out who wants one